Milk or Water for Instant Mashed Potatoes? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Milk or Water for Instant Mashed Potatoes?

Last post Jun 15, 2006 5:08 PM by KathyB_63_Mo . 18 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 12
  • Milk or Water for Instant Mashed Potatoes?
    I asked this question on CK's thread, but did not get an answer.

The Idahoan ones that were being discussed, calls for 2 cups boiling water and that is how I make them and they are good.

Some said they use more milk and butter?????

Opinions, please.

Kathy♥
    False
  • RE: Milk or Water for Instant Mashed Potatoes?
    I do half water and the other half milk. Do like the instant potatoes in a pinch, DH doesn't like instant, but eats what is on the table. hehehe
    False

http://mammascookin.blogspot.com/

I use about half and half of milk and water and twice as much butter as it calls for! LOL
    False
    I rarely use instant potatoes, but when I have, I have used milk and butter, sourcream too. I can't stand the taste of instant, so I have to jazz them up that way.
    False
    I don't make them often, but like someone else said, in a pinch they are handy. My mother used to cater dinners. She would "doctor" up instant mashed potatoes to where even I couldn't tell the difference. She added double butter and instead of all water, she used 2/3 part evaporated milk to 1/3 part water. So if a recipe called for 1 cup water, she would use 2/3 cup evaporated milk with 1/3 cup water. They were good. She always used an electric mixer to blend them...even when it said not to. Hope this helps.

Hey_Mom
    False
    I don't make them often, but like someone else said, in a pinch they are handy. My mother used to cater dinners. She would "doctor" up instant mashed potatoes to where even I couldn't tell the difference. She added double butter and instead of all water, she used 2/3 part evaporated milk to 1/3 part water. So if a recipe called for 1 cup water, she would use 2/3 cup evaporated milk with 1/3 cup water. They were good. She always used an electric mixer to blend them...even when it said not to. Hope this helps.

Hey_Mom
    False
    Sorry for the double post. Accidentally hit the enter button twice.
    False
    I always wondered about using half milk and half water, but using all water, they were so good.

Those Idahoan are the best.

Will try it 50/50 next time.

Thanks,
    Kathy♥
    False
    I tried to use 1/2 milk and 1/2 water-MDH John took one bite and pitched the rest of the instant potatoes in the trash-never again, we only use low fat milk.
    False

Cool

Holly, have you tried the Idahoan ones?

They sure the heck fooled me. The second time I made them, dh had to ask if they were the instant ones.

Kathy♥
    False
    I use a mixture of water and sour cream! Or a mixture of water and buttermilk.
    Penny
    False
    I rarely use them either. When I do, I use 2 parts evaporated milk and 1 part water. Sometimes I will use sour cream and evaporated milk.

KY Kate
    False
    I never have evaporated milk on hand, but always have sour cream and I like that in real mashed potatoes.

Kathy♥
    False
    I add cream cheese. about 1 oz for 2 servings. You won't believe how good that makes them. Sha
    False
    I'm sure this is a no-no, but when I do use them, I use real butter and half and half for the majority of the liquid. Salt and pepper and they substitute really well when you don't have time for the real thing.

Diane
    False

Marriage is like a deck of cards.  In the beginning all you need is two hearts and a diamond.  By the end, you wish you had a club and a spade.