Can you use all purpose in place of Bread flour??? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Can you use all purpose in place of Bread flour???

Last post Jun 23, 2006 11:18 PM by LindaRose . 8 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
  • Can you use all purpose in place of Bread flour???
    I'm wanting to make LindaChickens Cinnamon rolls but the recipe calls for Bread flour. Can I use all purpose in place of??
    Thank you for your help.
    LindaRose

False
  • RE: Can you use all purpose in place of Bread flour???
    If your recipe calls for cake flour and you have only all-purpose flour on hand, you can substitute 1 cup minus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour for 1 cup of cake flour.
    False
    Bread flour is a high-protein flour, specially formulated for making yeast breads. The combination of protein, a tiny bit of malted barley to help the yeast, and vitamin C or potassium bromate to help the formation of the gluten, helps the dough rise and retain gasses as it bakes, resulting in greater volume and better texture.

You can certainly substitute all-purpose flour in a recipe, but the results will be less spectacular. If you have a box of wheat gluten handy, you can add a tablespoon or so to your bread recipe to get essentially the same results as if you had used the bread flour.
    False
    I used bread flour for a couple of years, then one day was out, and made bread anyway. I actually liked it better. Now I make all my breads and rolls with just regular all purpose flour. I seem to get a more tender product with the AP.
    False
    I have made bread using regular flour and it has worked out fine, but I was also following a recipe.
    False
    I also sub. one for the other and don't ever have any complaints about the baked goodie being served.Having seconds says it all, IMO.
    False
    I put wheat gluten in all of my breads and the resluts are very good. As someone mentioned above, give that a try.
    False
    I also add wheat gluten to my bread recipes, give that a try as someone mentioned.
    False
    Thank you everyone for responding.
    I didn't have any wheat gluten, but read somewhere to add 1/4 tea. lemon juice.
    Which I tried, but didn't see a difference.
    They did come out really good. Thank you LindaChicken.

God Bless,
    LindaRose
    False