Maid-Rite Sandwich | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Maid-Rite Sandwich

Last post Nov 25, 2013 9:20 PM by KristineChayes . 30 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 2 of 3 (31 items) 123
  • RE: Maid-Rite Sandwich
    False
    Maid-Rite® Loose Meat Sandwich

by Todd Wilbur

It's been an Iowa tradition since 1926, and one of our longtime requested
    items here at TSR. Although the sandwich is not much more than a traditional hamburger with the ground beef arranged uncompressed on a white bun, the product has a huge cult following. And since the meat is loose, the sandwich is served with a spoon for scooping up the ground beef that will inevitably fall out.

When this clone recipe for Maid-Rite was originally posted on the site
    several years ago, it elicited more E-mail than any recipe in the site's history.
    Numerous Midwesterns were keyboard-ready to insist that the clone was far from accurate without the inclusion of a few bizarre ingredients, the most common of which was Cola-Cola. One letter states: "You evidently have not ever had a Maid-Rite. The secret to the Maid-Rite is coke syrup. Without it you cannot come close to the taste" Another E-mail reads: "Having lived in the Midwest all of my life and knowing not only the owners of a Maid-Rite restaurant, but also many people who worked there, I can tell you that one of the things you left out of your recipe is Coca-Cola. Not a lot, just enough to keep the meat moist."

On the flip side, I received comments such as this one from an Iowa fan who lived near Don Taylor's original Maid-Rite franchise: "The secret to the best Maid-Rite is the whole beef. Don had a butcher shop in his basement where he cut and ground all his beef. Some people still swear they added seasonings, but that is just not true. Not even pepper."

Back in the underground lab, no matter how hard I examined the meat in the original product -- which I had shipped in dry ice directly from Don Taylor's original store in Marshalltown, Iowa -- I could not
    False
    Coca-Cola. There's no sweetness to the meat at all, although the buns themselves seem to include sugar (when the buns are chewed with the meat, the sandwich does taste mildly sweet). I finally concluded that Coca-Cola syrup is not part of the recipe.
    If it is added to the meat in the Maid-Rite stores, it's an insignificant
    amount that does not have any noticeable effect in the flavor.

Also the texture is important, so adding more liquid to the simmering meat is crucial. This recipe requires a cup of water in addition to 1/4 cup of beef
    broth. By simmering the ground beef in this liquid for an hour or so, we'll
    break down the collagen in the meat. This makes the final product tender, just like the real thing.

Dump the meat onto the bottom of a plain hamburger bun; add your choice of mustard, onions, and pickle; ready a spoon, and dig in. Adding ketchup is up to you, although it's not an ingredient found in Maid-Rite stores. Many say that back in the early days, "hobos" would swipe ketchup and mix it with water to make tomato soup. Free ketchup was nixed from the restaurants way back then, and the custom has been in place ever since.

INGREDIENTS:

1 pound lean ground beef (15% fat is best)
    1 cup water
    1/4 cup beef broth
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    4 plain hamburger buns
    yellow mustard
    minced white onion
    dill pickle slices

INSTRUCTIONS:

1. Brown ground beef in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Use a potato masher to help get the ground beef into small pieces. Drain any excess fat. If you use lean meat (15% fat or less) you won't need to drain the fat. As soon as all the pink in the meat is gone, add 1 cup of water and 1/4 cup beef broth plus 1/4 teaspoon salt. Simmer the meat uncovered for one hour or until all the liquid is gone, stirring every 10 minutes or so.

False
    2. Build each sandwich by pressing the hot ground beef into a 1/2 cup
    measuring cup. Dump the meat onto the bottom of a plain hamburger bun. Add mustard on the top bun, along with pickles and minced onion if desired. Put the sandwich, and heat it up in your microwave oven for 10 to 15 seconds to warm the buns. Serve with a spoon as they do in the restaurants.

Makes 4 sandwiches.
    False
    I grew up in Iowa and I did love those maid-rites. I know the ground beef was steamed but this recipe as posted by AirForceWifeApril comes the closest to them that I've eaten. My sister and DH agree!

French Onion Joes
    Serves 4

1 can condensed French Onion Soup
    1 pound ground beef
    1 tablespoon flour, maybe a little more
    4 hamburger buns

Brown meat, drain. Add soup and stir. Cover & simmer on med-low for 5 min. Uncover & sprinkle with flour; stir well. Bring to boil to thicken sauce. Use your judgement & add more flour if it needs to thicken more. Serve on buns "sloppy joe" style.

We use yellow mustard and hamburger pickles on them. Delicious!!!!

These are so quick & easy!

Donna
    False
    bump for Berri
    False

I have never had a Maid-Rite either, but soon in Wisconsin many gas stations will be carrying them. A few in the WAusau area are open already then they will expand to many stations. Can't wait!
    False
    bump for 1698_Lady
    False

Hi Marshalltown neighbor! I grew up just outside of Boone...Jordan to be exact.
    Here is a twist on the maid-rite recipe I have had over 50 years.

1 lb. lean ground beef
    2 tbs. dried onion flakes
    2 tbs. ketchup
    1 small coke
    1 C. beef broth.
    simmer until liquid is gone.
    DH NOT from Iowa, prefers this one to the basic recipe. But sometimes when the mood hits me and I just have to have a maid-rite I make the basic ones.
    Now if someone could come up with Pete Kokanakus' recipe for coney island chili I would be one happy woman.
    False
    We lived in Jewell Iowa and my sister worked at the Maid-Rite shopp. You have to take your hamburger and use a dutch oven that you have enough room in to chop the meat fine. Ground round is what they used to use and it should have some marbling in it. Start your meat out on a high fire and then turn down so you are barley sizzing. keep chopping and stirring untill all the meat is cook down and is tiny peices. The thing here is that it cooks in it's own juices. If the meat is to lean it will have no flavor. Also the meat must be in really small sizes and the meat should be moist enough to put on a bun. If needed add a little water to help out. In between stirrings and chopping keep a lid on it to steam the meat. No real recipe, it is all in how good your meat is. ;9)
    False
  • Re: RE: Maid-Rite Sandwich

bump for Allspice_MO

False

False

Here is a new Maid-Rite recipe you should try:  http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Community/Maid-Rite

False

bump for Jill

False

False