Does anyone have a good cake frosting recipe without butter? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Does anyone have a good cake frosting recipe without butter?

Last post Aug 09, 2013 7:21 PM by nlf_PA . 7 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
  • Does anyone have a good cake frosting recipe without butter?
    Hi everyone,

I guess I'm probably weird, but I just am not a buttercream frosting kind of gal...the flavor of whipped up butter in a frosting just doesn't appeal to me. If a frosting calls for the addition of totally melted butter/margarine, that is fine, as in a boiled icing for instance.

I would love some alternatives to buttery frostings if anyone would be so kind as to share. :-)

Thanks so much!

Belinda
    False
  • RE: Does anyone have a good cake frosting recipe without butter?
    This recipe is really good not sure if this is what you had in mind or not?

Buttercream Frosting

1 C. shortening
    1 tbs. water
    1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
    5 C. powdered sugar
    3 tbs. milk

Mix shortening and water together then add vanilla. Mix in 1 C. of powdered sugar at a time adding the milk as you go. Add food coloring if desired cover with moist towels to keep from drying out. Keep stored in fridge tightly covered for up to 6 weeks.

If you have a stand mixer I would use it. It gets a little hard to stir by hand.
    False
    This recipe reminds me of a Wilton cake decorators type. Those call for white vanilla to keep it true white.
    But its sure good tasting, my fav.
    Karla
    False
    Karla
    I sometimes make a frosting with a small box of instant pudding( your choice of flavor ) and an 8 oz. carton of coolwhip. Just whip up the pudding as you would for a pie ( It takes a little less milk )Blend it into the coolwhip and frost your cake. I find it keeps the cake nice and moist. Of course you have refrigerate the cake.

Brenda
    False
    ~~ Brenda ~~
    Thank you, mrslovestocook, Karla and Brenda.

Both of these sound like good choices...and no butter! :-)

Belinda
    False
    Heres one I always loved. I haven't made it for some time. But it taste like chocolate ice cream to me.
    Chocolate Fluff Frosting
    1/2 pint whipping cream
    1/2 cup powdered sugar
    1/4 cup cocoa
    dash of salt
    Refrigerate or feeeze the bowl to your mixer & the beaters befor mixing.
    Then whip the listed ingredients.
    Spread on cake & keep refrigerated.
    dawnj
    False
  • Re: Does anyone have a good cake frosting recipe without butter?

Well I am weird too cause I hate butter and margerine too. I use Crisco in my homemade frosting and it is so good. I use shortning and whip it up good, add corn syrup and whip good and then I add what I want, Hersey cocoa, vanilla and powdered sugar. Betty Crocker had a recipe out using the crisco, vanilla, orange juice ,powdered sugar. When I make the chocalate frosting I also add cold black coffee to it for some liquid. Other frosting you could add milk.

False
  • Re: Does anyone have a good cake frosting recipe without butter?

This is one I use alot on chocolate and spice cakes it is very good and easy to make.

Nancy

MICROWAVE BOILED FROSTING (like Seven Minute)

1/2 c. sugar

1/4 c. light corn syrup

2 T. water

Microwave on high for 3-1/2 minutes.

Beat 2 egg whites until stiff.  Pour syrup slowly over egg whites Add 1 tsp. vanilla.  Beat until desired consistency for spreading. (If you want to put it on a spice cake, substitute brown sugar for granulated sugar and proceed. with above directions.)

Do not worry about raw egg whites because the boiling syrup takes cooks  the egg whites

False

Proudly serving as a Taste of Home Field Editor since 2002, Grand Prize Winner, First Prize Winner and Honorable Mention