Has anyone ever frozen cabbage, finely shredded for cole slaw? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Has anyone ever frozen cabbage, finely shredded for cole slaw?

Last post Jul 06, 2006 4:00 PM by TriainAtlanta . 8 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
  • Has anyone ever frozen cabbage, finely shredded for cole slaw?
    I tried to do a search in the search engine for this topic, but it is moving so darn slow today...I waited for 20 minutes & still nothing!! Anyway, I was wondering how this tastes after it is thawed? Is it still crispy? This will be chopped extra fine. Any tricks, or hints for me? Thanks!
    False
  • RE: Has anyone ever frozen cabbage, finely shredded for cole slaw?
    There are recipes for freezer slaw that are really good, freezing the cabbage with the vinegar mixture over it. I'm not sure that just the shredded cabbage would freeze very well. I think it would be very limp when thawed.
    False
    The Ohio State University Extension Service has shredded cabbage and freezing instructions here:

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/5000/5513.html

This is the only way I have ever frozen cabbage:

AUNT VIDA'S OLD-FASHIONED GERMAN FROZEN CABBAGE SLAW

My Great-Aunt Vida always made this recipe; it is different, as it does not use mayonnaise. It is also convenient to use, since it freezes so well, you can always thaw some out prior to any occasion and spend more time with your guests!
    Ingredients:

1 very large or 2 medium sized heads of cabbage
    1 carrots, cleaned and peeled
    2 green bell peppers, seeded

Shred the cabbage, carrots and green bell peppers. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of salt over these ingredients. Mix well. Let stand for 1 hour at room temperature. Squeeze and discard any excess liquid. If desired, you can rinse and drain the salt very well from these vegetables and then squeeze them dry.

Bring to a boil:

1 cup vinegar
    2 cups granulated white sugar
    1/4 cup water
    2 teaspoons salt
    1 teaspoon celery salt
    1 teaspoon mustard seed

Stir and cook until syrupy consistency. Cool completely. Pour cooled syrup over the cabbage mixture. Mix well. Spoon into containers, cover tightly and freeze.

The day before you are ready to use, thaw out one of the containers and enjoy your slaw!

False

Cool

Yes, the search is the pits. I can't find any info on cooking bacon in the oven. I'm trying to remember, and I guess I'll just wing it.
    As far as the cabbage, I agree with Miss Ellie. I think it would be soggy. I've frozen "cooked" cabbage and its been fine. I've heard that if you are going to eat any vegetable raw, that you shouldn't freeze it. I don't know if there is any truth in that or not as I've never done it. Sorry I can't be of any more help.

Lou
    False
    Try this TOH BB link for TOH BB pages on this subject:

http://bbs.reimanpub.com/bbssearch.asp?contents=freezing+shredded+cabbage&subject=on&reply=on&searchtype=basic&x=10&y=10
    False

Cool

Boy, Holly is right on the ball. Glad she could help.

Lou
    False
    TOH BB search link for freezing cabbage but most are for freezing cabbage ROLLS

http://bbs.reimanpub.com/bbssearch.asp?contents=freezing+cabbage&subject=on&reply=on&searchtype=basic&x=12&y=11
    False

Cool

bucks_fanatic,

My friend, Dottie, froze cabbage that was shredded and said it has a "funny" consistency and it "leeched" out the water; so, of course, I didn't ever try that out!
    False

Cool

There are several recipes for freezer slaw - but it is frozen after mixing it with ingredients. I wouldn't try it before mixing. I use the Freezer slaw recipe all the time and keep it in the refrigerator successfully - it is excellent - but have never frozen it.

Tria

Freezer Slaw

1 large head cabbage - shredded or chopped as preferred (or equivalent packaged grated cole slaw mix)
    1 large onion, chopped
    7/8 cup granulated sugar
    1 cup white vinegar
    3/4 cup salad oil - canola, crisco, etc.
    1 T. salt (can add less)
    2 tsp. sugar
    1 tsp. dry mustard
    1 tsp. celery seeds

Place 1/2 of the chopped or shredded cabbage in a very large bowl.
    Add chopped onion on top of the cabbage. Place rest of cabbage on top of onion and sprinkle w/ 7/8 cup sugar.
    Heat vinegar, salad oil, salt, 2 tsps. sugar, mustard, & celery seeds to boiling. Pour over cabbage and COVER (DO NOT STIR) w/ saran wrap at once.
    Refrigerate at least 4 hours - overnite is best. Improves w/ age, can refrigerate for 2 wks. Can be frozen - but as I said, I have never tried that.

Hope you try it and enjoy it!
    And - it can sit out and you don't have to worry about the "mayo spoilage" problem!
    Tria

False
    Tria