Can I freeze Mascarpone cheese? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Can I freeze Mascarpone cheese?

Last post Jul 26, 2006 5:08 AM by HollyMcDonoughGA . 4 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
  • Can I freeze Mascarpone cheese?
    ??

I bought a small tub of it intending to make Tiramisu but haven't had the time and it expires tomorrow.

Will freezing it ruin the texture?

If so, then I'll just have to whip up a recipe!

TIA!
    False
  • RE: Can I freeze Mascarpone cheese?
    I probably wouldn,t try it since it's so expensive. But I found this info on the website www.ochef.com

Mascarpone can be frozen, Lambert says, but it may separate or shatter when defrosted. It can be re-emulsified, though, by whipping it vigorously with a wire whisk while it is still very cold.
    False
    Thanks for your response! I'm still undecided whether to freeze it though! SIGH! LOL!! It's the expense that bothers me...

But thanks again!
    False
    I have had too much at times too, so I made it into the cream mixture that I use for my tiramisu or my cheese icing and frozen that. Then when I needed it, I thawed it and made my dessert. Worked great.
    False

The current weather in Edmonton, Alberta is

Click for Edmonton Municipal, Alberta Forecast

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending.

Re: marscapone cheese
    Ask Sarah
    Remote Name: 64.81.210.89
    Remote User:

Comments
    Soft cheeses, such as mascarpone, should be eaten soon after purchasing. As a general rule, the harder the cheese, the longer it will remain fresh. It is not recommended that soft cheese be frozen because it alters its texture, but there's a way to fix it.

There is no information available on freezing mascarpone, but I would try if it's your only alternative. Here are some tips to follow: Freeze pieces of a half-pound or less. (I would freeze yours in its package). Use moisture-proof and airtight wrapping. Freeze quickly and store at 0 °F for two to six months. Thaw in refrigerator so cheese won’t lose moisture; the slower the cheese is thawed, the better. Use as soon as possible after thawing..

I would thaw and then stir the mascarpone well to reconstitute because it may separate. If the texture is really strange, you'll have to strain it.

1. Line a wire strainer with paper towels or a cheesecloth, and place it over a deep, medium-sized bowl. Be sure the bottom of the strainer clears the bottom of the bowl by 2 or 3 inches.

2. Spoon the thawed cheese into the strainer and place a paper towel or more cheesecloth on top.

3. Place a saucer or small plate in the strainer to lightly weight the cheese. If you are not in a hurry, do not weigh it with the saucer, and refrigerate the whole setup overnight to slowly drain the excess water.

4. Let stand in the refrigerator until water has drained and the texture looks normal when you stir it, about one and a half hours.
    http://www.baking911.com/_disc10/00000a6b.htm
    False
    Life is like an onion, you peel off one layer at a time & sometimes you weep.