can you tell me how to make city chicken please!!! | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

can you tell me how to make city chicken please!!!

Last post Jul 31, 2006 8:03 AM by MDCrab2 . 8 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
  • can you tell me how to make city chicken please!!!
    my grandma made the best city chicken,for sunday dinner,might anyone be able to let me know how to make it? thankyou
    False
  • RE: can you tell me how to make city chicken please!!!
    Subject: Found the Answer - about City Chicken
    Posted by: Tria Replies: 10 Posted on: 2/13/2003 5:04:21 PM
    #T141314
    I looked in my old BHG cookbook and found the correct recipe for City Chicken. I had never heard about the "pork" substitution.
    It was a veal recipe and they actually had it listed on the veal "cuts" page with the description. I think it was originated because chicken was scarce and veal was available and inexpensive (then). Recently, I have seen just the reverse - pounding chicken breast thin - to substitute in veal dishes. The world does change and turn!

Anyway, the city chicken is actually cut from the shoulder (veal) in a chop. You actually asked for city chicken at the butcher shop.
    Select 4 to 6 veal chops, 3/4 to 1 in. thick. Dip into flour, season w/ salt and pepper; brown on all sides in hot oil. Add small amount of water; cover tightly and cook slowly about 45 minutes. It can also be dipped into beaten egg and water, then dipped into very fine bread crumbs before browning.

They also made mock chicken legs with the veal and wrapped it and secured it with a skewer, breaded and browned and pan fried.
    Chicken is so readily available and much more reasonable now. I love veal but rarely purchase it.
    Interesting, I thought.
    Tria
    False

Please come visit my blog. http://hdmcfar.blogspot.com/ Christmas countdown banner

April Fools Day countdown banner

I got this recipe from a TOH magazine many years ago. The recipe actually called for pork (even though it was called city chicken). I've made it with both pork and chicken and it is very delicious either way.

City Chicken

2 pounds boneless pork or chicken, cubed
    1/2 cup flour
    1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    1/4 cup butter
    3 tablespoons canola oil
    1 envelope dry onion soup mix
    1 can chicken broth
    1 cup water
    hot mashed potatoes

Combine flour, garlic salt and pepper on a plate; roll meat in flour mixture to coat. Heat butter and oil over medium heat in a skillet. Brown meat turning frequently; drain. Sprinkle with onion soup mix. Add broth and water. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 1 hour. Thicken pan juices and serve over mashed potatoes. Serves 4.

This is delicious!!!

April
    False

,·´º o`·,/__/ _/\_ //____/\
    ```)¨(´´´    l±±±±
    ¸,.-·²°´ ¸,.-·~·~·-.,¸ `°²·-. :º°

Hi, I'm LindaChicken from NE. Oklahoma. Nice to see you here!
    We are glad you've joined us -- please make yourself at home. Feel free to join in anywhere and have some fun! Once you get comfy and while you're looking around, please share your favorite recipes -- if that's something you would like to do!

If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask. We are all friendly and here to help each other. We look forward to getting to know you.We hope you enjoy your time here -- see you on the boards. ☺

Here are 2 links for you . They will help you find interesting and useful information to help you make the most of your time on this wonderful BB...in just no time I hope you find that you have found a new family here!

Have fun !

http://bbs.reimanpub.com/bulletinboard.asp?view=reply&threadnum=206197&catnum=68&headnum=2

http://bbs.reimanpub.com/bulletinboard.asp?view=reply&threadnum=187022&catnum=68&headnum=2

♥LindaChicken

♡ God Bless our Troops ♡

Hugs to ya! Waving from Oklahoma......
    False

Photobucket

RE: city chicken
    Posted by: TamaraLynn Posted on: 9/23/2001 5:07:19 PM
    #R17005
    This recipe was posted under recipes, # 463. Here it is again for you.

CITY CHICKEN
    2 lb. boneless pork, cut into cubes
    1/2 c. flour
    1/2 t. garlic salt
    1/4 t. pepper
    1/4 c. butter or margarine
    3 T. vegetable oil
    1 envelope onion soup mix
    1 can (14 1/2 oz) chicken broth
    1 c. water
    hot mashed potatoes
    Thread pork on small wooden skewers. Combine flour, garlic salt and pepper on a plate, roll kabobs in flour mixture until coated. In a large skillet, heat butter and oil over medium heat. Brown kabobs, turning frequently; drain. Sprinkle with soup mix. Add broth and water. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1 hour or until tender. Remove kabobs and keep warm. If desired, thicken the pan juices and serve over mashed potatoes.Yield 4-6.

In the article this was served with chunky cinnamon applesauce, salad and custard pie.
    False

Please come visit my blog. http://hdmcfar.blogspot.com/ Christmas countdown banner

RE: City Chicken
    Posted by: Rebecca_WV_37 Posted on: 4/3/2005 10:59:47 PM
    #R5497962
    Recipe for City Chicken, an old recipe from a time when chicken was expensive.
    INGREDIENTS:

1 1/2 lb. beef or veal
    1 1/2 lb. pork
    1 can cream of mushroom soup
    1 soup can of milk
    2 (4 oz.) cans mushrooms
    2 eggs, beaten
    Cornflakes crumbs
    Salt to taste
    Pepper to taste
    Oil to brown meat
    Wooden skewers
    PREPARATION:

Slice meat into 1 inch squares, about 1/4-inch thick. Alternately place meat on wooden skewers; (one pork, one veal etc.). Roll finished skewers first into eggs to which you have added salt and pepper; then into cornflake crumbs. Brown in skillet, being sure coating is well done. Place in casserole. Mix milk, soup and mushrooms together in pan dripping heat through, pour over meat in casserole. Bake covered at 300° for about 3 hours.
    False

Ok--where I'm from (Pittsburgh), we would use beef, pork, and veal cubes, alternating them on a wooden skewer, bread it and fry it up--slowly with lots of juice to keep it moist. You can use any of the breading/juice recipes that appeal to you. Everyone is different! Enjoy!
    Bonnie
    False
    These sound really good. I think I'll try the one that you cook for an hour on the stove.

It will be easier at the campground. I wonder if backroads has seen this thread yet. Lots of help here.

Linda
    False
    Wow, the memories this board kicks up!! I had forgotten there was ever such a thing as "mock chicken legs".
    False