How can I tell when my spaghetti squash is ready to pick? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

How can I tell when my spaghetti squash is ready to pick?

Last post Aug 03, 2006 9:19 PM by jebar . 5 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
  • How can I tell when my spaghetti squash is ready to pick?
    Trying it for the first time this year. And I have some that are yellow, but I don't know if they are ready.
    Thanks
    Jan
    False
  • RE: How can I tell when my spaghetti squash is ready to pick?
    When mature, the shell of each Spaghetti Squash will turn from a buff color to a golden yellow.
    False
    Remember it is a winter squash, not a summer squash.

Spaghetti squash doesn't have to be stored in the refrigerator and should last about a month at room temperature.

An average squash will yield about 5 cups of flesh.

You can freeze the cooked flesh by placing it in freezer bags. When you're ready to eat it just allow it to partially thaw then steam it for about 5 minutes
    False
    Can you tell me, does the stem need to be kind of dry like when we pick butternut squash?
    False
    Spaghetti squash plants can be harvested starting at about three months of age.

They are ready when the stems turn dry and tan. This shows that the stems aren't pumping any more moisture to the fruit, and that means they won't get any larger.

Another way to tell when spaghetti squash are ready to harvest is by using your fingernail against the skin. When winter squash is ripe, the skin dries out and toughens so that your fingernail won't cut through it.

To harvest squash, use a sharp knife and cut the fruit from the vine. Leave 1"-2" of the dry stem attached to the top (this helps the squash stay fresh and store longer). Always lift the squash from the bottom, not by the stem, so you don't break it off.

I have heard this, but have not tried it...... you can let the squash dry outside in the sun for about a week, they will then keep in a dark cool place for months.

False
    Thank you.
    This has been very helpful and informative. I know our butternut squash kept for three months this past winter. So I am hoping these will do half as well. :)

Jan
    False