Jerky Gun recipes | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Jerky Gun recipes

Last post Aug 05, 2006 1:11 PM by Redraspberrygirl . 18 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 12
  • Jerky Gun recipes
    Hot and Sticky Jerky - 5 Lbs.
    Ground Jerky Recipe

Ingredients:

5 lbs lean meat
    4 tablespoons salt
    1 teaspoon curing salt
    2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
    2 teaspoons red chili peppers, crushed
    2 teaspoons chili powder
    2 teaspoons yellow mustard seed, ground
    3 cups corn syrup, liquid

Note: For a real brow sweatin' wallop double the cayenne pepper, red chili peppers and chili powder.

Back to top of page
    Back to products

Directions:
    Cut away as much fat/tallow as possible from the jerky meat. The leaner the better.
    Grind trimmed meat through 3/16" plate two times into a large mixing vessel.
    Add all remaining ingredients; mix/knead well .
    Taste test by frying a small quarter-size patty to see if you approve of the flavor is. Make changes if needed.
    Place meat between plastic wrap, use cardboard guides and roll out ground jerky as shown in above photo series.
    Refrigerate overnight (6 to 10 hours) to cure.
    Next day, spread jerky evenly on drying racks; dry at at 150 to 170 degrees in oven, smoker or dehydrator (checking occasionally for doneness) until jerky reaches desired degree of dryness; could be 5 to 24 hours depending on drying method used. See more information on drying on pages 68, 69 and 70 of our Sausage and Jerky Handbook

False
  • RE: Jerky Gun recipes
    Hickory Smoke Jerky - 5 Lbs.
    Whole-Muscle Jerky Recipe

Ingredients:

5 lbs lean meat
    4 1/2 tablespoons salt
    1 teaspoon curing salt
    3 teaspoons hickory smoke flavoring or
    1 1/2 liquid smoke
    1 teaspoon onion powder
    1 teaspoon garlic powder
    1 teaspoon coriander seed, ground
    1 teaspoon chili powder
    1 teaspoon white pepper
    1 teaspoon black pepper
    5 cups ice water

Back to top of page
    Back to products

Directions:
    Cut away as much fat/tallow as possible from the jerky meat. The leaner the better.
    Place the trimmed meat in the freezer for 2 to 3 hours , or until the meat is slightly frozen; remove from freezer.
    Slice the meat into 1/4" to 38" thick slabs (at this point a protective glove is advised to help prevent accidents).
    Slice the meat slabs into 1/4 to 3/8-inch thick strips.
    Combine 5 lbs. of met strips and all remaining ingredients (except coarse-ground black pepper) in an ample size, non-metallic brining vessel; stir/mix well.
    Refrigerate mixture/meat overnight (6 to 10 hours) to cure; continuing to stir periodically.
    Next day, remove the cured jerky strips from the liquid brine and spread evenly on drying racks. Do not rinse strips!
    Dry strips at 150 to 170 degrees in oven, smoker or dehydrator (checking occasionally for doneness) until jerky reaches desired degree of dryness; could be 5 to 24 hours depending on drying method used. See more information on drying on pages 68, 69 and 70 of our Sausage and Jerky Handbook

False
    Pepper-Style Jerky -5 Lbs.
    Whole-Muscle Jerky Recipe

Ingredients:

5 lbs lean meat
    2 tablespoons salt
    1 teaspoon curing salt
    1 teaspoon smoke flavoring
    1 teaspoon onion powder
    1 teaspoon chili powder
    1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    2 teaspoons coriander seed, ground
    2 teaspoons garlic powder
    5 cups ice water
    coarse-ground pepper to taste

Back to top of page
    Back to products
    Directions:
    Place the trimmed meat in the freezer for 2 to 3 hours , or until the meat is slightly frozen; remove from freezer..
    Slice the meat into 1/4" to 38" thick slabs (at this point a protective glove is advised to help prevent accidents).
    Slice the meat slabs into 1/4 to 3/8-inch thick strips.
    Combine 5 lbs. of met strips and all remaining ingredients (except coarse-ground black pepper) in an ample size, non-metallic brining vessel; stir/mix well.
    Refrigerate mixture/meat overnight (6 to 10 hours) to cure; continuing to stir periodically.
    Next day, remove the cured jerky strips from the liquid brine and spread evenly on drying racks. Do not rinse strips!
    Sprinkle each piece generously with coarse-black pepper to taste.
    Dry strips at 150 to 170 degrees in oven, smoker or dehydrator (checking occasionally for doneness) until jerky reaches desired degree of dryness; could be 5 to 24 hours depending on drying method used. See more information on drying on pages 68, 69 and 70 of our Sausage and Jerky Handbook

False
    Using Ground Meat
    Lean ground red meat or turkey can be used to make great jerky. Prepare meat by mixing seasoning and cure mix in 1/2 cup of cold water and any other spices you want. Place meat into a bowl and add mix. Work the seasoning into the meat with your hands until the meat becomes sticky. Cover and place in the refrigerator for four hours.
    Place a sheet of wax paper on the counter. Roll out the seasoned ground beef into a sheet 3/8 inch thick. Cut into strips or use cookie cutters to make shapes. You can also role ground meat into 1/2 inch thick ropes and make snack sticks.
    Lightly spray a cookie sheet with Pam and lay out the prepared jerky on the sheet. Bake in a 200 degree oven for 45 minutes. Remove from oven and carefully pour off any excess grease. Flip the jerky pieces over. You can reduce the fat content even more by placing the jerky on a baking rack which fits inside the cookie sheet. Return to the oven and bake for 35 minutes.
    False
    Southwest Jerky
    1 Tbs Original Jerky Season
    2 tsp Ground Cumin
    1/4 tsp Garlic Powder
    1 tsp Mild Chili Powder
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Jamaican Jerk Jerky
    2 tsp Jamaican Jerk Seasoning
    1/4 tsp Garlic Powder
    1/4 tsp Onion Powder
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Poultry and Game Bird Jerky
    2 tsp Poultry Seasoning
    1/2 tsp Onion Powder
    1/4 tsp Garlic Powder

Hot Jerky
    1 tsp Crushed Red Pepper
    1 tsp Cayenne Pepper
    1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
    Smokey Snack Sticks (ground meat)
    1 Tbs + 1 tsp Original Jerky Season
    1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
    1/4 tsp Mombassa Pepper
    1-1/2 tsp Liquid Smoke Flavoring
    False
    Venison Jerky #82725
    recipe by Luv-2-Camp Mary

I got the recipe from my Dad. We have been making Jerky for several years now. It is a spicy but great recipe. Very inexpensive compared to the store boughten stuff.
    6 pounds of meat
    15 minutes 15 mins prep
    6 lbs ground venison
    1 1/2 teaspoons Morton Tender Quick salt
    8 teaspoons table salt
    2 teaspoons black pepper
    2 teaspoons garlic powder (can use extra)
    1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1 1/2 teaspoons ground cardamom
    3 teaspoons Accent seasoning
    2 tablespoons liquid smoke

Mix all ingredients together extremely well.
    Refridgerate for 3 days.
    Mix well once every day.
    Use a Jerky Gun to make strips and cook in a food dehydrator as directed by manufacture.

False
    Hamburger Beef Jerky #171634
    recipe by Oster71

THE BEST beef jerky recipe. I have made a ton of recipes out of all kinds of things. Roasts, steaks, etc. But the only stuff I get asked for is this stuff. It is soo cheap and so versatile.
    5 lbs
    6 hours 30 minutes 30 mins prep
    5 lbs 90% lean ground beef (90-92%)
    4 1/2 teaspoons non-iodized salt
    2 1/4 teaspoons Accent seasoning
    3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
    2 1/4 tablespoons meat tenderizer
    3/4 tablespoon pepper
    3 tablespoons brown sugar
    1/2 cup worcestershire sauce
    1/2 cup liquid smoke
    1/3 cup ketchup

Mix all spices with ground beef EXCEPT worcestershire, liquid smoke and ketchup.
    You need to really get your hands in to mix it well.
    Press into strips with a jerky gun.
    Mix worcerstershire, liquid smoke and ketcup in a shallow dish.
    Coat strips with sauce.
    Place on trays to dry.
    Dry according to your dehydrator manufacturers instructions.
    Other flavors as follows:.
    Hot and spicy - mix Louisiana hot sauce with water to thin a bit. Coat strips and dry.
    BBQ - thin your favorite bottled bbq sauce with water. Coat strips and dry.
    Teriyaki - thin bottled teriyaki sauce with soya sauce. Coat strips and dry.
    False
    Light Pepper Jerky - 5 lbs.

5 lbs. lean meat, ground (beef or venison)
    1 tsp. curing salt (pink)
    2 tbsp. table salt
    2 tbsp. white pepper
    2 tbsp. black pepper, table grind
    2 tsp. coriander, ground
    1/2 cup non-fat-dry milk
    1 to 2 teaspoons liquid hickory smoke, depends on individual taste
    2 cups cold water, more if needed to make the mixture pliable.

1. Combine the lean ground meat with the remaining ingredients and mix well.
    2. Do a taste test by frying a quarter size patty. Although the patty won't taste exactly like the finished product, sampling will help you determine if you need to add more salt or more of a particular spice. back to top
    3. Place a baseball size piece of the ground jerky mixture between two pieces of waxed paper. Lay two 2" wide x of 3/16" or 1/4" thick cardboard on both sides of the ground jerky mixture.
    4. Use a rolling pin to flatten the meat to the thickness of the cardboard. Remove the waxed paper and cut the rolled meat into jerky strips or squares.
    5. Layer the jerky strips on a cookie sheet lined with wax paper. Separate each layer of jerky strips with more wax paper so the jerky strips don't stick together. Refrigerate overnight to cure.
    6. Next day, remove the cured jerky strips from the refrigerator and place on 1/2" mesh racks or dehydrator trays. Dry the jerky strips in an oven, smoker or dehydrator in usual manner until the jerky reaches the desired degree of dryness at which time it is ready to eat. Store the remaining dried jerky in the refrigerator up to a week or freeze up to a year.
    7. Or do it the easy way and load the freshly mixed meat and ingredients into the Dakotah Jerky Maker. Do not refrigerate the ground jerky meat mixture before extruding it through the jerky insert. Extrude two strips of ground jerky at once according to the Jerky Maker Instructions.
    False
    To 2 lbs of 90% lean ground sirloin, I mixed in:

2 tbsp. Morton Tenderquick
    1/4 tsp. garlic powder
    1/8 tsp. onion powder,
    1/2 tsp. hickory salt
    ( I used McCormick Grill Mates Barbecue Flavor),

1 tsp. liquid smoke,
    1 tsp. mustard seed,
    1/2 tsp. ground black pepper,
    1 Tbsp. paprika (this greatly improved
    the look of the finished sticks)
    1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
    1/2 tsp. ground ginger.

(I did a bit of research on cased sausage
    Slim Jim style snacks and a couple recipes
    contained nutmeg and ginger).

I stirred all the dry ingredients into 1/2
    cup water to aid in mixing with the
    ground beef. After the mixture sat in the
    fridge for a few days,

I removed it and extruded it through the round
    tip of the jerky gun.

When I got to the last little bit that wouldnt
    go through the gun, I wetted my hands,and rolled
    it out like dough to make a uniform stick about
    the thickness of my finger.

As far as baking the sticks, There was quite a bit
    of disagreement in all the recipes that I found.

Some recommended drying them in a 150 degree F oven
    for 8 to 10 hours, some recommended cooking in
    a 300 degree F oven, and most fell somewhere in
    between.

I placed them on some small screen racks that I
    purchased from a local dollar store.

They were originally sold to grill vegetables on
    the grill, but worked GREAT for this- I
    balanced them across a large cookie sheetand opted
    to try the 300 degree F oven for 60 minutes.

I got about 20 foot long sticks out of the 2 lbs.
    of ground beef.

I turned them halfway through so they would cook
    evenly.

False
    Hamburger Jerky

Shared by Dorothy Bayes with recipegoldmine.com

5 pounds lean hamburger
    12 teaspoons salt
    1 teaspoons black pepper
    1 teaspoons cayenne pepper
    1 teaspoons marjoram
    2 teaspoons garlic powder
    3 teaspoons MSG
    1 1/2 teaspoons Morton's® Tender Quick
    12 teaspoons liquid smoke flavoring
    12 teaspoons water

Combine dry ingredients in a bowl, mix well. Add hamburger, mix well. Add water and liquid smoke, mixing well.

Use a jerky gun to make the sticks and place in dehydrator until dried.

Source: Morton's Salt

NOTES : If you like spicy jerky, add a little more cayenne pepper.

False
    Another Beef Stick Recipe
    Posted by barbqr under Ken Johnson Recipes
    No Comments
    This recipe comes from my web site. I noticed someone found the recipe but had a few questions and posted it on the Forum. So I will pass it along here on the blog.

Home Made Beef Sticks I have had several inquires in making Home Made Beef Sticks so I have decided to make a web page just for doing so.

How to make Beef Sticks

First we need some ingredients.

USE ONLY EXTRA EXTRA LEAN GROUND BEEF. I USE 96% LEAN BEEF

This will make a ten pound batch. It will be broken down at the end of the page for a two pound batch.

5 TBSP Tender Quick 1 TBSP Mace 4 TBSP Paprika 6 TBSP Ground Mustard 1 tsp. Celery seed - ground 1 tsp. Garlic powder 1 tsp. Black pepper 1 tsp. White pepper 2 TBSP Dextrose - I found mine in a Health Food store 2 tsp. red pepper

If you want to make this a Pepperoni Stick, add 2 tsp. Ansie

To make a 2 pound batch, take the above recipe and take 5 TBSP minus 1/8 tsp. and mix with two pounds of lean ground hamburger. That would be, mix everything to make a ten pound batch and take 5 TBSP minus 1/8 tsp. and add this to two pounds of hamburger.

Instructions: 1. Desolve Tender Quick in a little water, add to meat and mix well 2. Blend remaining ingredients and add to meat mixture and mix well. 3. Form in 1/2 inch diameter rolls. Dehydrate on high for 5 hours. * I mix ALL the dry ingredients together and skip step 1 I also mix (blend) all the dry ingredients in a food processor. I also use a food processor to mix the meat (hamburger) and the seasoning together. * If you use your oven, set temp. to 155 degrees and keep the door
    cracked open for air flow.
    False
    Essence (Creole Seasoning):
    2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
    2 tablespoons salt
    2 tablespoons garlic powder
    1 tablespoon black pepper
    1 tablespoon onion powder
    1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
    1 tablespoon dried leaf oregano
    1 tablespoon dried thyme
    False
    Smoked Hamburger Jerky
    1/2 c Soy sauce; can use light
    1 tb Allspice
    4 tb Sugar
    2 ts Fresh ginger; grated
    1 Clove garlic; minced
    1 tb Liquid smoke; hickory or mesquite
    2 lb Ground meat; leanest poss.
    Press hamburger meat into flat strips 5 inches long by 1-1/2 wide and 1/4 inch thick. Place one
    layer of hamburger strips in dish for marinating. Mix marinade ingredients together in a bowl. After
    well mixed, sprinkle marinade sauce over meat, soaking well. Turn meat over and sprinkle with
    sauce. Add layers of hamburger strips to marinating dish and repeat sprinkling of marinade. Pour
    remaining marinade sauce over meat. Cover tightly and let marinate in refrigerator for 6 to 12
    hours. rotate layers of meat occasionally. Place in dehydrator until dry. While meat is drying, blot
    excess oil with paper towel.
    False
    Fake Jerky Strips
    ---MEAT---
    1 lb Ground beef
    1 ts Garlic powder
    1 ts Salt
    1/4 ts Black Pepper
    1 ts Liquid smoke
    1 tb A-1 Sauce
    1/2 c Quick Quaker Oats
    1 Eggwhite
    ---SAUCE---
    2 tb A-1 Sauce
    2 tb Worchestershire Sauce
    3 tb Ketchup
    2 tb Vegetable Oil
    1 ts Soy Sauce
    1 ts Liquid Smoke
    2 tb Water
    1. Mix ground beef with all other ingredients, stir until mixed. Put into a food processor with
    chopping knife and chop for a good minute, until well-mixed together and consistency of putty.
    2. On a floured cutting board, take ball of meat mixture and coat both sides lightly with flour so it
    won't stick and roll out with floured rolling pin, fold and roll until roughly 8" by 12" rectangle 1/8"
    or less thick.
    3. Using a pizza cutter, cut into 1" wide strips 8" long and carefully transfer to a wire rack.
    4. Heat oven to 300 F, place wire rack with meat in oven on oven rack in center of oven, with
    second oven rack one notch below. On lower rack, place cookie sheet under meat to act as a drip
    pan.
    5. Bake for 1 hour at 300 F.
    6. Mix together sauce ingredients in shallow dish. Remove rack of meat, roll each strip into sauce
    mix and return to rack. When all coated, return to oven and increase temp. to 450 F. Bake for 15
    min.
    7. Remove rack again and recoat strips and return to oven for another 15 min. or until strips
    become almost burnt around edges.
    8. Remove from oven and coat one last time, then let sit and cool to room temp.
    9.Enjoy!
    False
    Onion Ground Beef Jerkey
    2 oz Package dried onion soup mix
    1/4 c Water
    1/4 c Soy sauce
    1 ts Garlic; chopped
    1 ts Curing salt
    Dried herbs or flavorings of choice
    1 1/2 lb Very lean ground beef
    In a bowl, combine onion soup mix and water. Let sit for 10 mintues. Add the remaining
    ingreidents, including the beef, and combine we. . . Let marinate for at least 2 hours. For a more
    pronounced flavor, cover and refrigerate for 8 to 12 hours.
    Put through a jerky press, OR shape the meat into 1-to 2-inch balls. Line each drying tray with a
    solid leather sheet. Top it with a mesh sheet. Arrange the meat rounds on the mesh sheets. Dry at
    145 F. or above until hard, about 6 to 10 hours. With some dehydrators, you will have to turn the
    rounds to ensure uniform drying. If beads of melted fat form on the rounds as they are drying, blot
    them up with a clean, uninked paper towel. Each lb. of ground beef makes about 4 oz. jerky.
    False