Do unopened store-bought jams/preserves ever "go bad"???? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Do unopened store-bought jams/preserves ever "go bad"????

Last post Aug 14, 2006 8:25 PM by DawDawCo . 7 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
  • Do unopened store-bought jams/preserves ever "go bad"????
    I found a stash of jams/preserves in a tub in my garage. No expiration dates on them. Are they still safe to use??? I threw out the apricot/peach ones that had turned dark. But i can't tell if the blueberry, raspberry types are still good. Garages are pretty hot here in Texas so i don't know if that would make a difference either. Don't want to make anyone sick! Just wondering! THANKS! D
    False
  • RE: Do unopened store-bought jams/preserves ever
    Bumping so I can keep track of this post.
    This is a great ?.Can't wait to get some answers for this ?. :O)

Barbara
    False
    Do you have any idea how old they may be? I guess if it is HOT and you think they are over a year old I would toss.
    False
    Why don't you open them and taste--only a little bit. I'll bet you can tell right away.

Barb
    False
    If jams/preserves have been kept in a pantry in the kitchen and they are over a year old.Would they still be good????
    I wish they would put dates on all of these.LOL

Thank you,
    ☼Barbara
    False
    If it was something I had canned myself, I would consider it safe unless it had turned color or smelled or tasted bad when opened, so I guess apply the same rule here. Plus, the commercial brands have way more preservatives. Just don't serve someone else something you haven't tried yourself.

Amy P from TN
    False
    I think that they would be good. You can always use the old saying "When in doubt, throw it out!"
    RITA
    False
    My theory is, when in doubt, throw it out.....it isn't worth making someone sick. This is after the fact but I keep a black marking pen in my pantry and as I put food in I mark the date. and then I am reminded to rotate the older items to the front.

Doris
    False