Brown Butter Apple Tarte Tatin (tart tah-TAN) Cake from Cuisine At Home magazine!! OMGOSHHHHHHHHHH!!! Can you say YUM? :O) | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Brown Butter Apple Tarte Tatin (tart tah-TAN) Cake from Cuisine At Home magazine!! OMGOSHHHHHHHHHH!!! Can you say YUM? :O)

Last post Aug 21, 2006 4:43 PM by imadisneymom . 11 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
  • Brown Butter Apple Tarte Tatin (tart tah-TAN) Cake from Cuisine At Home magazine!! OMGOSHHHHHHHHHH!!! Can you say YUM? :O)
    When I got my latest issue of Cuisine At Home the other day, I found this recipe in it and the picture looked good enough to eat it right off the page!! I couldn't wait to actually try it!! OMG!!!!!! This cake is the most delicious apple cake I have ever eaten in my entire life!! I love apples!! They are by far my absolute favorite fruit!! Wow !! Even DH said, "This is AWESOME!" And that is high praise coming from him!!! He'll eat anything I set in front of him and he always gives me his honest opinion. I wish you could've seen the look on his face when he took his first bite of this gem!!

I'll include some of the notes from the accompanying article and then post the recipe and a few comments of my own at the very end!!! This recipe is, without a doubt, well worth the effort!! Not only does it taste great, it is absolutely beautiful to look at, too!! LOL

It's gonna take, I think, about 5 or 6 posts to get this whole thing on the board. I know it's quite lengthy and that will likely discourage some of you from really giving this recipe any consideration. But truly, it is not a difficult recipe and it absolutely is worth your time and effort!!

contd. next post..........
    False

Kay Click for Winthrop, Minnesota Forecast

• RE: Brown Butter Apple Tarte Tatin (tart tah-TAN) Cake from Cuisine At Home magazine!! OMGOSHHHHHHHHHH!!! Can you say YUM? :O)
    "This cake is......a hybrid of pineapple upside down cake and tarte Tatin (tart tah-TAN), the classic French upside down apple pie....... Serve the cake with ice cream.............. But it's worth checking out the raisin sauce and sour cream whipped cream (recipes follow)"

"As for equipment, all that's needed is a cast iron or ovenproof nonstick skillet. I prefer cast iron (the apples and caramel turn out better), but both work. A 9 or 10" pan is fine, but don't use a smaller one--the cake batter will overflow."

"Step one: the caramel. .... key here is to cook the sugar syrup long enough for good flavor and color, but not to the point that caramel turns bitter. Once it's the color of ice tea around the edges, take the pan off the burner. The syrup in the middle might be lighter than you want, but the skillet's residual heat will darken it."

Brown Butter Apple Tarte Tatin Cake
    (from Cuisine At Home magazine; Oct. '06)

Makes one 9 or 10" cake; Total time: about 1 1/2 hours
    Preheat oven to 350º

For the Apples -

1/2 c. sugar
    3 Tb. water
    1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
    pinch of salt
    2 Tb. heavy cream
    1 Tb. unsalted butter
    1 Tb. dark rum, optional
    1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

Simmer 1/2 c. sugar, water, lemon juice & salt for the apples in a 9 or 10" skillet over medium heat. Cook, swirling the pan, 'til mixture is golden, 6-8 min. Off heat, carefully stir in cream (caramel will sputter), butter, rum & vanilla; cool slightly.
    "For even browning, swirl the pan, don't stir--stirring with a spoon could cause the sugar to crystallize."

contd. next post.............
    False

• RE: Brown Butter Apple Tarte Tatin (tart tah-TAN) Cake from Cuisine At Home magazine!! OMGOSHHHHHHHHHH!!! Can you say YUM? :O)
    Arrange in caramel -

3-4 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored & quartered

Arrange quartered apples in the caramel, packing the pieces tightly (they shrink during cooking); set aside.
    "Arrange quartered apples cut side down in the caramel. Place two quarters, rounded side down, in the center."

For the cake -

1 stick unsalted butter
    1 c. sugar
    1 c. Granny Smith apple, grated (1 apple)
    "Coarsely grated apples give the cake texture and moisture."
    browned butter
    2 eggs
    minced zest of 1 lemon
    1 c. A.P. flour
    3/4 tsp. table salt
    1/2 tsp. baking powder
    1/4 tsp. ginger
    1/4 tsp. cardamom*

Melt butter for the cake in a saucepan over med.-low heat. Cook 'til milk solids turn brown, about 5 min., swirling the pan often. Set browned butter aside to cool slightly.
    "Browned butter: You could use plain melted butter for the cake, but it's flavor is so much better if the butter is browned first. Simple melt and cook the butter to the point that the milk solids darken. Slow melting is key--the butter is more apt to scorch over high heat. Regardless, keep a close eye on it since the butter can burn very quickly."

contd. next post.........
    False

Whisk 1 c. sugar, grated apple, browned butter, eggs and zest in bowl. Add flour, salt, baking powder and spices; whisk just to blend. Place the skillet on a baking sheet, spread batter over apples in the skillet and bake for 45-50 min. or 'til toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow cake to cool 10 min., then invert onto a serving platter.
    "Run a knife around the sides to loosen it before inverting onto platter.....'Stick' happens sometimes, so if bits of apple, caramel and cake remain in pan, patch any holes with the remnants, then dust with powdered sugar."

Dust warm cake with powdered sugar before slicing. If desired, serve with raisin sauce and whipped cream. (recipe follows)

Raisin Sauce
    makes 1 cup; Total time: 15 min.

3/4 c. apple juice
    3/4 c. raisins (dark or golden)**
    1/3 c. sugar
    1 cinnamon stick
    6 whole cloves
    juice of 1/2 a lemon
    pinch of salt
    1 Tb. dark rum or apple juice***
    2 tsp. cornstarch
    2 Tb. unsalted butter

Simmer apple juice, raisins, sugar, spices, lemon juice & salt for the raisin sauce in a sauce pan over medium heat for 10 min. Combine rum and cornstarch in a dish, then whisk into simmering sauce; cook 'til thickened, 2-3 min. Remove from heat, add butter & stir 'til melted.

contd. next post...............
    False

For the sweetened sour cream -
    make about 1 1/2 cups; Total time: 5 min.

1/2 c. heavy cream
    1/4 c. sour cream
    2 Tb. sugar

Beat all ingredients together to soft peaks. Serve cake warm with sauce & whipped cream.

Kay says: I did use a cast iron pan. I grew up making upside down cakes in a cast iron fry pan and to me there is just no other way!! I've tried other pans, but I always come back to the cast iron pan. It's just a personal preference. If you grew up doing it the same way, you understand what I mean......I think!! LOL
    *I like cardamom, but I much prefer cinnamon. So I used some Saigon cinnamon instead. Yummmmmmmm!!!!
    **I used half dark raisins and half golden raisins! I wanted the sauce to look interesting and using both colors made the presentation so pretty!!!
    ***I did use dark rum. I'm sure apple juice is good, too. But IMHO, this recipe really deserved the rum. I know some people don't care for alcohol or the flavor of rum. I myself don't particularly like the flavor. But I got one of those tiny bottles of rum for $1.99 and I'll do it again!! The spices and the butter really are the predominant flavors and the rum, to me, anyway, didn't really taste like rum. Hard to explain. But the whole combination of different flavors blended so perfectly together!! It was a wonderful taste bud delight!! :O)
    Finally, DH says, you have to have it with the raisin sauce and ice cream!! Preferably vanilla, but butter crunch is good too!! lol And I say, this treat is almost like a wonderful apple bread pudding. So, of course, you gotta do the raisin sauce and whipped cream!! lol Next helping, I'm gonna try just pouring a little bit of heavy cream on top of the raisin sauce!! I'm already drooling..........

Enjoy!!

(o:Kay:o)
    False

That does sound good! Thank you for going to all the trouble.

Brenda
    False
    False

Wow, a long one -- but I will copy it for my to do list...thanks.
    False
    bblue - Yes! It is long!! There was so much helpful info. in the article that accompanied the recipe that I just couldn't leave it out. But the recipe itself really doesn't take any longer than most other recipes. It truly is very simple!! Just looks and maybe sounds a bit intimidating!! I hope you do try it some time!! It is excellent. We had a small piece with coffee this morning and it's even better today!! I reheated it in the microwave and it worked very well!!

(o:Kay:o)
    False

bump
    False
    Thank you so much for posting all of the extra information...I can't wait to try this. I can taste it as I read your comments!

*..Chris..*
    False
    NOw I'm out at the apple trees - begging them to hurry and ripen!

Ginny
    False
    Just when the Caterpillar thought her world was over ............ She became a Butterfly I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way. - Jessica Rabbit