???Stringy Green Beans....any Ideas??? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

???Stringy Green Beans....any Ideas???

Last post Aug 29, 2006 9:34 AM by Cittie . 11 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
  • ???Stringy Green Beans....any Ideas???
    The green beans from our garden are EXTREMELY stringy....any ideas on how to de-string them thoroughly??

We had some for dinner last nite, thought I'd had all the strings off but once you started eating, all the strings....ugghhhhh, ewwww

Its kinda like when you eat eggsalad & you get that nasty piece of eggshell in there....ewwwww~

Any help is appreciated~! LOL
    False
  • RE: ???Stringy Green Beans....any Ideas???
    HEllo:: From my experience with green
    beans from the garden, they were left on the bush or vine too long. We
    always picked our beans real young and tender, but some people do not like to pick them that young. Or maybe it could be the variety..,would
    like to know what you find out about
    them.
    False
    Thanks for the response...I have a feeling its the variety we got this year :(
    False
    Cittie,we grew pole beans 2 years agoI did`nt realizr that pole beans have strings.This is how I did mine.I broke one tip off,then pulled the sring all the way down.Then broke the other end and did the same.Is this makeing any sense? :)
    I had so many beans that year,I had to can some.I did`nt bother to string those because of the long cooking.They were great.
    False

Half Runner beans are extremely stringy. If left on the vine too long, even harder to string because the beans aren't as crisp.
    False
    Click for Red House, West Virginia Forecast Bailey
    I know they are pole beans of some sort (dh picked them up & planted them)...Rosie thats the way I did them (did understand your explaination), the strings seemed to come off quite easy. But once you ate them, uck.
    They were/are not old the beans are just starting to plump out, have great flavor, just stringy.

With what was left I wanted to can them....but don't want to waste the time on strings, lol.

We usually plant italian green beans, guess we'll be going back to those.
    False
    You are picking beans that are too old... these are now only good to let grow longer & turn into dry beans, or maybe you got a dry bean variety by mistake, the whole pod on them is tough and stringy. Try picking only beans that have pods smaller in width than your little finger & if that does not work save them for dry beans. OImama
    False
    OImama
    Cittie,when I canned my pole beans,I did`nt bother stringing them.They turned out great.No sign of the strings.Guess it was the processing in the canner.
    Rosie
    False

Thanks Olmama & Rosie~!
    False
    Certain varieties of beans are more prone to have strings over other varities that do not. All I can suggest is to try to pull the strings out when snapping them. IF all else just use them in stews to where the strings may come loose in the softening process.
    False
    I would say they were getting too old. I grow blue lake because they have no strings.
    False
    Thanks everyone~!
    False