Help! What to do with all my cherry tomatoes!!?? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Help! What to do with all my cherry tomatoes!!??

Last post Sep 01, 2006 5:05 PM by MillerMom . 7 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
  • Help! What to do with all my cherry tomatoes!!??
    I live in MN, and my garden has gone crazy this year! My husband and I refer to the tomato section as the jungle. I have oodles of cherry tomatoes, as well as romas, Amish pastas, early girls, big boys. Cherries are always my dilemna, as I'm the only one in the family that will eat them plain. I dehydrated a few pounds for my dad (he loves them as a snack), but I need some ideas. What I'm looking for is a good spaghetti sauce recipe using cherry tomatoes, that I can freeze. I have a great recipe for larger tomatoes, but am unsure if the cherries will work in this. It's okay if I have to use romas or another type in addition, but I really really need a cherry tomato sauce recipe. Again, it has to be something that I can freeze. Can ANYONE help me (please please please!)?

Thanks much!
    ~Julie in MN
    False
  • RE: Help! What to do with all my cherry tomatoes!!??
    I'm sure your (sauce) recipe will work - I would just hate the ordeal of removing the peel from all those little tomatoes. I'm sure you can pop them in some boiling (or almost) water for a few seconds then remove the skin. Some BBers have frozen regular tomatoes whole and then (they say) the skin just slips off easily. I've never tried it. There is also a good recipe on here for cherry tomato appetizers (roasted poppers) that I think John posted. I can't find it right now.

Good luck!

Tria
    False
    Tria
    Julie - search google for "cherry tomato recipes" ... there are tons!
    I too have lots of tomatoes...I email all my friends and tell them to stop by and get some. They do. I also take them to a senior center where people really appreciate getting the fresh produce!
    False
    I made this for the weekend

BLT Dip

1 package Oscar Mayer real bacon bits
    1 cup mayonnaise
    1 cup sour cream
    1 tomato - peeled, seeded and diced, small

Mix well, serve with crackers

Kate
    False
    Hey Julie, do you like Salsa?That can use up alot of tomatoes.I will give you my recipe:Tomatoes-chopped,
    cilantro-chopped,
    1 large red onion-chopped
    lime juice-3TBS
    el-pato-mexican tomatoe sauce(1 can, they are small)
    fresh garlic-2TBS.
    1 tsp garlic salt
    1 bunch green onions-chopped
    Mix all together and chill.Have w/tortilla chips or even use to top meat loaf. Bakerfreek.
    False
    Make hot dilled green cherry tomatoes. I made some this year but haven't tried them yet. Usually I just use regular green tomatoes.

Marilyn
    False
    Make a greek salad. That is the best with fresh littl tomatoes
    False
    I would second the suggestion if you have too many take them to a group that feeds the homeless. We have a mission in town that I know would appreciate such a donation.

I am sure you will find lots of good recipes on this board!
    False