Good substitute for mushrooms? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Good substitute for mushrooms?

Last post Sep 01, 2006 9:43 PM by Kristyn . 11 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
  • Good substitute for mushrooms?
    Our three kids don't care for mushrooms and so many great recipes have them as an ingredient.

I typically just leave them out, but because there is so much wonderful knowledge on this board, I thought that I would ask to see if there are suggestions for what might make a good substitute for mushrooms.

Thank you so very much for your help! Have a great day. DT
    False
  • RE: Good substitute for mushrooms?
    Maybe somebody has a suggestion, but mushrooms are mushrooms and I can't think of another thing to "take their place".
    False
    I have a friend who uses - of all things - tofu as a replacement for mushrooms in some of her recipes. She doesn't care for them, either, and has looked for a good substitute as well. Evidently she found reference to the tofu idea in a cookbook, where it was suggested.

I think this is a good question because I often wonder about good substitutes for a lot of veggies that are specifically mentioned in recipes. For instance, I frequently substitute peas for beans, beans for corn, etc in recipes, but when something calls for eggplant, mushrooms, etc, I'm not sure what makes "good" substitutes for the original veggie.

Looking forward to the responses to this question. And yes, new to the board. Love it!
    False
    Is it the taste they don't care for, or the texture?

I've used Powdered Shiitake Mushrooms (great taste - "no" texture)for years. Available from The Spice House at thespicehousedotcom or call 1-888-488-0977 for free catalog. I don't know if they are listed in the catalog, but they do still carry them - about $3 for a 1 oz bottle - quite a bit for the money. (This company is owned by the daughter of the folks who started Penzey's.)

Have heard of tofu being used but I don't care for it.

Ed
    False
    I actually don't like the taste of Shitaki mushrooms...so that would make me not want to eat them, either. But I do use regular mushrooms in a lot of things. We buy the large jar of dehydrated nushrooms at Costco, and that's what I use when I don't have any fresh from the store.

I would take the regular, or even the canned, and puree or blend them into tiny bits that no one can see or find, and put them in there anyway!

That's what a lot of people do to get more vegies into their kids diets, is chop up zucchini or broccoli or carrots and put it in meatballs, meatloaf, casseroles, etc...and just tell them it's a spice, like parsley...if they even notice it.
    False
    I really hate mushrooms too, I just leave them out, or you can use something like cashews if you need bulk... exchange cream of celery or cream of potato for cream of mushroom soup that seams to be in almost every cream type recipe.
    False
    Amy
    when I was little we would order pizza...... people that liked mushrooms always wanted them on, they always told me "you can't taste them"......... well if thats true why even put them on????
    False
    Amy
    I just posted a long post about what to do, and it rejected the post because I mentioned that one kind of mushroom with a bad word in it! LOL!

Anyway - what I was saying was to go ahead and use them, just put them in a blender or food processer and puree them or smush them up real good so that the flavor is there, but they can't find them or pick them out.

Many ladies do this with zucchini and broccoli and carrots....shred or mush them up and put them in casseroles or soups or meatloaf or meatballs...and if anyone says anything, jus tell them it's a spice like parsley and it's part of what makes 'it taste so good!' LOL!!!
    False
    creid,

Next time try spelling it correctly (LOL): shiitake.

Ed
    False
    Wow! Thanks so much for your responses.

Ed, three kids equal three reasons - one doesn't like the texture, another one doesn't like the taste and the youngest hates the way they look in his food! LOL!

Arizonacook, I had never thought about using cashews. I'm going to try that and see how it turns out. Thanks so much for your idea! And I agee about why bothering to order them on pizza if you don't like them.

Creid, that is a very good suggestion aobut pureeing them. That would take care of two of the three "problems" - the one that doesn't like the texture and the one that doesn't like the texture.

Thanks again for your replies. I knew that you all would have some great ideas!
    False
    Moonbow, I'm not sure about the tofu - the three of them run away when they see it at the grocery! LOL! Thanks!
    False
    If it is for cream of mushroom soup in the recipe, I just put it in my blender and liquify it. They don't even know.

False