Harry & David's red pepper and onion relish | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Harry & David's red pepper and onion relish

Last post Sep 14, 2006 7:40 AM by DorothyR_in_Maliboo . 4 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
  • Harry & David's red pepper and onion relish
    I am looking for a recipe similar to the famous harry and davids red pepper relish if anyone has one please let me know.
    False
  • RE: Harry & David's red pepper and onion relish
    These were posted on another thread.

RE: ISO Harry and David's Pepper Relish Clone Recipe
    Posted by: winkyPA Posted on: 2/7/2005 8:28:57 PM
    #R5177992
    Maybe it will help to post what's in H&D's relish: tomatoes, sugar, water, jalapeno pepers, distilled vinegar, dehydrated onion and red bell peppers, natural spice flav. I don't have a recipe, but happened to have a jar in the cupboard. It truly is good stuff. But, I won't make a clone in that I don't do any canning. Hope somebody here on the BB can help.

Brenda

RE: ISO Harry and David's Pepper Relish Clone Recipe
    Posted by: Margielou_WA Posted on: 2/7/2005 11:54:08 PM
    #R5179183
    To MissEllie: Harry & David's pepper relish copycat
    Posted by: koss Replies: 2 Posted on: 11/5/2004 2:07:43 PM
    #T434287
    To MissEllie:

The relish I made is like Harry and David's. I didn't really follow a recipe, but I'll try to give you an idea.

I use about 6 cups of chopped green bell peppers and 2 cups of chopped hot banana peppers. 1/2 a large onion chopped. I didn't have any fresh tomatoes, so i used a can of diced tomatoes. I used red wine vinegar (enough to cover the vegis in a large pot) instead of white vinegar and also sugar (about 3 cups) I brought the mixture to a boil and then simmered it down for 2 hours. I added surejell, but i don't know if it jelled yet. The package said to use 5 cups of sugar, but I only used 3, so it might not set. You might have to use more sugar.

If you types Harry and David in the search and click go, it will take you to lots of posts about Harry and David products and recipes. That is where I found this one. Harry and David products are great.

False
    I love the Harry and Davids pepper relish. I mix it with cream cheese.

We don't have a Harry and David too close to us. So I usually have to order it.

I wish I had an easy copy of it as I don't can either.

Linda
    False
    H&D's also has "Sweet Red & Ancho Chili Pepper Spread" and to be honest, I cannot tell any difference in taste comparing it to the Red Pepper and Onion Relish!!

There's no tomatoes in the ingrdients: water, sugar, distilled vinegar, dehydrated sweet red peppers, dehydrated ancho chili peppers, salt, pectin, citric acid.

It just amazes me that they taste the same - must just be me.

Brenda
    False
    Here is a recipe from Barb that I made and liked. I put my suggestions for next time in parentheses. I screwed up on how long to cook it, and it got candied! You could query her about how long she cooks it, I guess.

RED PEPPER RELISH FROM CLOGGING NANA
    1 1/2 pounds red bell peppers, finely diced (about 4 peppers)
    3/4 c. sugar
    1/2 c. vinegar (white or cider) ((MAYBE TRY 2/3 CUP NEXT TIME...IT WAS VERY SWEET))
    1/2 tsp. salt
    Pinch of celery seed

Combine all ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to lowest and cook, uncovered, just until all liquid is gone. ((DO NOT COOK SO LONG IT GETS CANDIED! LAST TIME I COOKED IT 1 hour and 45 minutes and that was too long. Try 1 hour and then maybe add another 15 minutes.))

Serve with cream cheese and crackers (spread cracker with CC then dollop with the relish) YUM! YUM! ENJOY!!!
    ~Barb~ Clogging Nana
    False

--DR

Visit me at my foodie website-- http://www.shockinglydelicious.com Twitter: @shockinglydlish Facebook: Shockinglydelicious