butter instead of shortening in biscuits? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

butter instead of shortening in biscuits?

Last post Sep 30, 2006 6:50 AM by debbielee . 6 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
  • butter instead of shortening in biscuits?
    I'm making baking powder biscuits. They call for 1/2 cup shortening. Can I use butter instead of crisco shortening. I just don't like the taste and don't like to use it. How would this turn out? Thanks!
    False
  • RE: butter instead of shortening in biscuits?
    Yes you can. The biscuit will not be as light and fluffy but the taste will be good. Grandma use to make them with fresh churned butter when she was out of shortening and even used bacon grease at times , boy was that unhealthy, but was they ever good. lol

False

Blessed are those that can give without remembering and take without forgetting.

Why would you want it? Shortening is better in the biscuits then the butter.
    False
    ooop's I meant it was better health wise if it's no trans fats.
    False
    I don't like Crisco so I use coconut oil in my biscuits. It is healthy and has no transfats.

Ginny
    False
    Just when the Caterpillar thought her world was over ............ She became a Butterfly I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way. - Jessica Rabbit
    False
    biscuits are supposed to have fat in them....nothing like biscuits made with butter or even homemade lard....ah the good ole days before fat and calorie counting took over...roflol
    False