ISO recipes for "heavy hors d'oeuvres" | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

ISO recipes for "heavy hors d'oeuvres"

Last post Jan 22, 2011 2:24 PM by movnspeechGA . 15 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 12
  • ISO recipes for "heavy hors d'oeuvres"
    A neighbor is having a pot luck party to welcome new neighbors. She is asking everyone to bring "heavy hors d'oeuvres". What would you suggest that I can make ahead. I'm working that day, and will only have a half hour to get ready. Anything fried, like egg rolls would be soggy if made ahead. Shrimp would start to smell fishy if made the day before. Any ideas? I guess I shouldn't post late at night. No one's up.
    False
  • RE: ISO recipes for
    If it were me, due to your limited time, I would buy the big bag of cocktail size meatballs and use the cranberry/chili sauce or grape/chili sauce recipe. The guys always love these....I'd say they were 'heavy'! Trish
    False
    Have you thought about the Burgundy Mushrooms or Brandy Mushrooms? These are great and can be prepared 'ahead'......simply wonderful. Trish

Burgundy Mushrooms
    Posted by suzycreamcheese_MI

4 Lbs. Large Mushrooms, Cleaned And Stems Trimmed
    1 1/2 Cups Butter
    1 Quart Burgundy Wine (Any)
    2 Tbs. Worcestershire Sauce
    1 Tsp. Dill Seed
    1 Tsp. Pepper
    1 Tsp. Garlic Powder
    2 Cups Water
    3 Beef Boullion Cubes
    3 Chicken Boullion Cubes
    Salt

Bring water and butter to a boil in large pot. Add remaining ingredients and return to boiling. Reduce to simmer. Simmer COVERED 5-6 hours. Remove cover and simmer for an additional 4 hours.

Brandied Mushrooms
    Posted By Conniek_Wi

3 Lbs. Fresh Mushrooms, Sliced
    1/4 Cup Worcestershire Sauce
    Seasoning Salt
    1/2 Cup Brandy
    8 T. Butter

In a large skillet, saute the sliced mushrooms in the butter until brown. Sprinkle liberally with seasoning salt. Add Worcestershire sauce and simmer until almost all sauce is absorbed by the mushrooms. Add the brandy and continue to simmer until mushrooms are tender.

Kay says: I only had 2 lbs. of 'shrooms and that was enough for us to get two meals!! I also served them with steak!! Yum!!!!! I added a bit extra worcestershire and next time will do that again and omit the seasoning salt. The worcestershire seems to make it plenty salty. Since the bottle of brandy I used only had a couple of ounces left after measuring the 1/2 c. the recipe calls for, I just poured it in!!! Man!! These were totally awesome!!!!!Took about 45 minutes total cooking time!! Enjoy!!!!

False
    Stromboli goes over very well whenever I make it. I make my own dough but my co-worker makes hers with frozen bread dough and gets many compliments.
    I have heated the whole stromboli in foil in the oven and I have also sliced it and microwaved smaller portions or wrapped it loosely in saran and microwaved it whole .I sometimes serve a Tomato sauce on the side for guests to eat with it or omit.

It is filling and good and you can make different varieties according to taste preference.
    Alliea
    False

Susan-Serving as a Taste Of Home Field Editor since 2009

Chicken salad sandwiches on dollar rolls actually get better if made ahead. Little smokies in barbecue sauce always goes over good, too. Rye bread and dill dip? Frozen chicken wings with sauce on them already are also good and easy to make at the last minute. As are frozen chimichangas, just take along dipping sauce.
    False
    Tyson Honey Barbeque chicken wings are wonderful. I get them at Sam's Club and throw them in the crockpot! Everybody loves them! Charter
    False
    One of our favorites is:

Chili Cheese Dip

1 lb ground beef, fried and drained
    2 lbs velveeta
    1 can chili without beans
    1 tsp of chili powder (or to your taste)

Add all the ingredients together until melted and serve. I usually put it all in a crock pot and serve with tortilla chips.

I have made this a day ahead and then just warmed it in the crockpot. It seems to get better after sitting for a while.

This is not at all spicy. Some people prefer it with the mexican velveeta.

Josie
    False
    An easy thing to do would be to make Deviled Eggs--you culd cook the eggs the night before--make the filling and recfrigerate separately.Then just before you go, stuff the eggs.

There have been some terrific recipes lately--Mexican, Blue Cheese, etc. or just your regular old recipe is sometimes the best. Do a search for Deviled Eggs.

Barb
    False
    Thanks everyone for some great ideas. Now I just have to decide which to use. They are all so good. I appreciate your help.
    Vera
    False
    False
    Brenda Sinclair
  • Re: RE: ISO recipes for

What are dollar folls? I'd like your recipes for chicken salad sandwiches on dollar rolls.

Thank you,

Jane Streiff

False

Jane, Silver Dollar Rolls are like dinner rolls that are small - about the size of a silver dollar.  Sorry but I don't have a good chicken salad sandwich recipe but I'll bump this up for someone who does.

False
    Stimpy Click for Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin Forecast

yup.

I noted the date on this post but it is a good post, informative to many with the same concerns,

Quesadillas  are always a favorite-as you can fill them with anything from plain cheese, veggies only ....to steak or seafood.Quick and easy to make as well.I do not like mine quite as brown as shown but that is a preference thing. Serve with Sour cream, salsa and guacamole~A

Quesadilla

Quesadilla

I grew up making quesadillas, the benefit of having a Hispanic mother who is a great cook. "Queso" is cheese in Spanish. And a quesadilla is a toasted tortilla with melted cheese inside. But in addition to cheese, you can put practically anything in a quesadilla. My favorites are mushrooms, olives, tomatoes, and onions. I don't cook these ingredients first, but it really is a matter of taste. You could if you wanted to.

Quesadilla Recipe

Ingredients

Large flour tortillas
    Grated cheese - either mild or sharp cheddar, or Monterey Jack
    Olive oil or grapeseed oil

Optional:
    Sliced mushrooms
    Green onions
    Black olives, sliced
    Fresh tomatoes, diced
    Chicken pieces
    Avocado

Lettuce
    Apple cider vinegar
    Salt

Method

1 Heat a large cast iron frying pan to medium high heat. Add a small amount of oil (about 1/2 teaspoon) and spread it around the bottom of the pan with a spatula (you could use butter as well). Take one large flour tortilla and place it in the pan. Flip the tortilla over a few times, 10 seconds between flips. Air pockets should begin to form within the tortilla.

2 When pockets of air begin to form, take a handful of grated cheese, sprinkle over the top of the tortilla, making sure that the cheese does not land on the pan itself. Add whatever additional ingredients you choose - green onion, sliced mushrooms, olives, tomatoes, etc. If you would like your quesadilla to be a chicken quesadilla, add some diced cooked chicken. Take care not to layer on the ingredients to thickly - this is a quesadilla, not a quiche.

3 Reduce the heat to low and cover the pan. The cast iron pan should be hot enough by now to have plenty of residual heat to melt the cheese and brown the tortilla. If the quesadilla begins to smoke too much, remove from the heat. After a minute, check to see if the cheese is melted. If not, return the cover and keep checking every minute until the cheese is melted. When the cheese is sufficiently melted, use a spatula to lift up one side of the quesadilla and flip over the other side, as if you were making an omelette. The tortilla should by now be browned slightly. If it is not browned, turn the heat up to high and flip the quesadilla over every 10 seconds or so until it gets browned. Remove from pan and cut into wedges.

To make the lettuce to accompany the quesadilla, thinly slice some iceberg lettuce. Sprinkle some cider vinegar on it and some salt.

Serve with the lettuce, salsa, sour cream, and guacamole.

False

Susan-Serving as a Taste Of Home Field Editor since 2009

• Re: ISO recipes for "heavy hors d'oeuvres"

I've made this 1 & it was popular & easy:

2 lbs. smoked sausage, little smokies or kielbasa

1 cup applesauce

2/3 cup brown sugar

1 small onion, chopped

Cut the sausage into small chunks, combine the other ingredients-pour over sausage pieces,stir & bake at 325 for 40 minutes....serve w/toothpicks.  I've done them in the crockpot too.   OR:

100 ct. meatballs

32 oz. jar of grape jelly (generic is fine)'

2 jars of Heinz chili sauce (sorry it doesn't say what size)

melt jelly in saucepan or microwave w/chili sauce....pour over meatballs & cook in crockpot on high for 3 hours.  Recipe suggest stirring ocassionally....usually I leave the crockpot alone.  Probably wouldn't hurt to stir it once. 

False

Charter
    Tyson Honey Barbeque chicken wings are wonderful. I get them at Sam's Club and throw them in the crockpot! Everybody loves them! Charter

Would you mind giving instructions on these in the crock pot? I would've never thought of doing that. Do you cook them in the crock pot, or just use it to keep them warm after cooking?

Thanks!

False