Can you freeze half'n half? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Can you freeze half'n half?

Last post Feb 07, 2010 6:07 PM by Carolann64150 . 6 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
  • Can you freeze half'n half?
    Can you freeze half'n half and whipping cream? Does the quality become compromised? I live a long way from town and I can't run to the store when I decide I need these items for a last minute recipe decision. Thank you for your answers. KindnessCO
    False
  • RE: Can you freeze half'n half?
    I have frozen half and half but I haven't frozen whipped cream. The half and half comes out looking curdled but if you are using it for pies or baking where you can cover it or stir it out it is no prolem. I use it when baking pumpkin pies at Thanks giving and hate to throw any away so I freeze it for pies at xmas.
    One way to find out is to actually freeze whiiping cream and then you will find put. If it breaks down you can always use it for something else.
    False
    My Grandma used to freeze her whipping cream for years. She also lived pretty far from a town. She would thaw hers out in the refridgerator a day or two before she needed it. It holds up better this way.
    Jen
    False
    Kindness the higher the butter fat the longer it will keep in the refrigerator.
    I am using from a quart of whipping cream that was purchased over 2 months ago and it is still just as fresh tasting as when it was purchased. I do keep it, as well as the half and half, next to the wall of the fridge toward the back where it is the coldest and the warm air from the kitchen does not hit it when the door is open.
    I know the door of the fridge is handy but no milk product lasts as well there.
    I have not had much success when freezing either one.

Nancy
    False

Blessed are those that can give without remembering and take without forgetting.

Thank you for your replies. I guess that I can always try freezing it to see what happens. I was thinking mostly of cream soups and it might work just fine for that.
    Thanks again.
    Kindness
    False
  • Re: Can you freeze half'n half?

I don't know about half 'n half, but I know you can freeze whipped cream quite successfully.  My mom used to whip it up with a little vanilla, then drop spoonfuls on an ungreased cookie sheet.  She put the sheet in the freezer until the puffs of whipped cream were solid.  Then she quickly transferred them to a freezer bag and returned them to the freezer.  When she needed a bit of whipped cream topping, she simply removed the amount she needed and placed the pieces on the dessert.  They defrosted quite quickly.  They didn't lose any of their original texture or taste.  I loved to steal a piece from the freezer and enjoy it still frozen.  It was like yummy, fluffy ice cream!

False
  • Re: RE: Can you freeze half'n half?
    • Confused [*-)]

GrandmaCookN
    Kindness the higher the butter fat the longer it will keep in the refrigerator.
    I am using from a quart of whipping cream that was purchased over 2 months ago and it is still just as fresh tasting as when it was purchased. I do keep it, as well as the half and half, next to the wall of the fridge toward the back where it is the coldest and the warm air from the kitchen does not hit it when the door is open.
    I know the door of the fridge is handy but no milk product lasts as well there.
    I have not had much success when freezing either one.

Nancy

False