Date Nut Bread in a can | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Date Nut Bread in a can

Last post Oct 29, 2006 8:24 AM by meadmilier . 14 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
  • Date Nut Bread in a can
    My DH and I were talking last nite about date nut bread in a can. We used to buy it all the time but it haven't for a long time. I haven't seen it in the stores here. Do any of you remember this or still buy it? If so, what is the brand? I'll see if its still sold. Maybe we are remembering something that was good then but that we wouldn't even like that much now. Thanks to you all for your help.
    False
  • RE: Date Nut Bread in a can
    Was this in a red and dark blue can and called brown bread, if so I purchased it not long ago in Safeway or Top Food. I put the loaf in foil and heat in the over, just love it with butter on it. Judy
    False

IN GOD WE TRUST

My Mom used to buy a date and nut loaf in a can, I'm not sure but I think the name was Crosse and Blackwell, it seems to me they had a brown bread one too. I remember liking the date one best. Hope I rembered right!! I also seem to remember a green lable on the can.

Anita
    False
    I used to have a recipe to make the date nut bread, in Campbell soup cans. Does anyone have that recipe? I would love to make it again! Thanks!
    Marie
    False
    Here is one I make

Tin Can Fruit Bread
    In saucepan put 2 cups boiling water and add 2 cups raisins,2 tesp.baking soda,2 tesp.cinnamon,1 tesp.ginger,1 tesp.cloves,1 tesp.allspice,let boil for 2 minutes,remove from burner and let sit for a few minutes and then add,chopped dates and chopped pecans,let cool.
    In bowl put 3 cups flour
    1 tesp.salt
    Mix together and then add to other ingredients.
    Grease (and I line with parshment paper)2---48 ozs.juice cans.
    Divide batter between the two cans.
    Bake in 350 oven for 1 hour 15 min. or until tester comes out clean.

For Christmas I add red and green cherries also.I flour the cherries and fold them in )
    False
    Here is my recipe for Date Nut Bread (Grandma's recipe) I have always wanted to try to bake it in a can and never have. Maybe next time, I'll remember to....

Date Nut Bread

Sprinkle 1 tsp baking soda over 2 cups chopped dates. Pour 1 cup boiling water over mixture and let cool.

While cooling, cream ¼ lb butter and ¾ cup brown sugar. Beat in 1 egg. Stir in date mixture.

Add 1 ½ cups flour, ¼ tsp salt, and ½ cup chopped nuts (optional).

Pour into lightly greased and floured pans. (I spray the aluminum ones-no flour-3 1lb loaves)

Bake 50-60 minutes at 325º.
    False
    Here are some directions on how to bake in cans...

Place a small amount of butter in the bottom of each of 5 empty condensed soup cans. Let the butter melt in the cans in the oven for a few minutes, before filling with batter. Then fill cans 2/3 full. Bake at 325 degrees F for 45 minutes or until cake tests done. Remove from can while warm.

False
    Found it!

http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=11553&itemType=PRODUCT&RS=1&keyword=bread
    False
    Thanks to all of you for your help.
    I checked out Vermont Country Store.
    I should have remembered about them.
    They always have everything.
    I am going to try your recipes too.
    I'll go to store tomorrow and bake them in the cans. Thanks so much.
    False
    bump
    False
    Thank you, Aquablue and Tabbie for your recipes for Date Nut bread baked in soup cans. Sorry it took me so long to reply! I really appreciate everyones help.
    Marie
    False
    Please Bump!!
    False
    About 35 years ago I cut a thick slice of Crosse and Blackwell date nut bread. Thank goodness I was holding it the right way because I bit into a 1/4" thick, triangle shaped piece of glass. I called the company and told them and said I was going to mail it to them so they could investigate how that could have happened. I thought that was the end of that but about a month later I received a large box of assorted Crosse and Blackwell products.
    False
    RE: Rec.: Home Made Quick Bread Mix with Recipes
    Posted by: sugarbug Posted on: 10/24/2006 5:34:19 PM
    #R8257542
    Date Nut Bread

Makes 2 loaves bread

2-1/2 cups Homemade Quick Bread Mix-(recipe to follow)
    1/4 cup sugar
    1 cup chopped walnuts
    1 package (8 ounces) diced dates
    1 egg, beaten
    3/4 cup milk

Preheat oven to 350ºF.
    Combine mix, sugar, walnuts, and dates in a bowl. Combine egg and milk. Add to dry mixture and stir only until moistened.
    Wash, dry, and grease two 1-pound Coffee cans. Divide batter evenly in cans.
    Bake at 350ºF for 65 to 70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes in cans on a rack. Invert and remove bread from cans and cool thoroughly on rack.

** Here is the recipe for the "mix"..

Home Made Quick Bread Mix

Makes 12 cups mix
    Prep time: 10 minutes

10 cups sifted All-Purpose Flour
    1/3 cup baking powder
    1/4 cup sugar
    1 tablespoon salt
    2 cups all-vegetable shortening or 2 Sticks

In a large bowl combine flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Cut in 2 cups Shortening with pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse meal.
    Store in covered container up to 6 weeks at room temperature. For longer storage, place in freezer.

Dee
    False
    False