Need help with gift for 80 year old man | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Need help with gift for 80 year old man

Last post Oct 27, 2006 6:52 AM by 3timesamom . 19 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 12
  • Need help with gift for 80 year old man
    What do you get for someone who has everything they need? It's really hard to decide what to get someone. Some people are just giving money, some are givine gift certificates for groceries. Any ideas?
    False
  • RE: Need help with gift for 80 year old man
    Does he like to rent movies? You could do Blockbuster/Hollywood Video gift certificates. If he likes a certain restaurant or diner for lunch or dinner, maybe a gift certificate to there?
    False

An eighty-year-old woman?

A "gift certificate" for some chores you could do for him?

A magazine subscription?

A DVD of a favorite movie?

A new version of a family photo album?

If he lives nearby, a meal a month - home-cooked or eaten out?

Hard to say, not knowing him.

Good luck.

Ed
    False
    My dad always got a kick out of me buying him a roll (100) of stamps. Saved him going to the post office, and allowed him to pay his bills. He also loved scratch off lottery tickets.
    Janetplanet
    False
    My Dad is going to be 85 in April and we go thru this every year. The last couple of years I have given him gift certificates for a local nursery and then he goes and picks out what he wants to plant outside the house.
    This is a tough one! Good luck

Gail
    False
    You can get him dramatizations of good books from Focus on the Family Radio Theatre. Got to family.org and then go to the radio theatre link. I'm sure he used to listen to shows on the radio when he was a boy.
    You can also buy medical equipment or procedures in his name or seeds or a farm animal (not as expensive as it might sound!!!) for third world countries. A few organizations you can do this from are Mercy Ships, Samaritan's Purse, and Project Heifer.
    Or, dinner out is always appreciated, either a gift certificate to a favorite restaurant, or perhaps a date with you, which is a win/win situation-the gift of dinner and the gift of time spent with you.
    False
    I work in a nursing home, The best gift you can give him is a couple of hours a few times a month. Maybe make him home cooked meal, take him for a drive, or lunch, Help him with Shopping, cleaning ect.
    Most people that old just want some good ole visiting.

Donna
    False
    I agree with time spent with him and or a nice soft squeezable teddy bear, gorilla or a favorite animal of his. All my older friends just love getting something they can squeeze and talk to once in awhile. They comment how muxch they love them over and over.
    ~~Leisa~~
    False
    My Dad is 81. He's 2,000 miles away, so I can't be with him, but I can talk to him. I call him every night at 9 pm (his time). That way he has the phone call to look forward to all day long. My Dad has never been a phone talker, but it's fun to see how he keeps a list of what he's done all day so he has something to talk to me about in the evening. *smile*

Dad loves to use his phone card (from Sam's). For 3 cents a minute, he doesn't mind making long distance calls and talking as long as he wants. (He never made the calls when Momma was here.)

Since Momma went to heaven 14 months ago, I have been giving Dad gift cards to his favorite restaurants ~ Bob Evans, Cracker Barrel, Steak & Sheak. He doesn't know how to cook. Sometimes he eats out when he sick of his Meals on Wheels. Other times he uses it to take someone else out to eat. He will eat out with the cards, where he won't spend money as long as there is food in the fridg or freezer.

Hope these ideas help.
    False

dutch may i ask what occassion the man is being gifted? i agree wholeheartedly with donna and the others who suggested the gift of TIME, COMPANIONSHIP, ETC.
    False
    °º·¤.¸¯`°º·¤.¸¯`°º·¤.¸ ♥ ¸.¤·º°´¯ ¸.¤·º°´¯ ¸.¤·º°
    ~~ CELEBRATE YOUR FREEDOM
    AND THANK AN AMERICAN SOLDIER!!! ~~
    ¸.¤·º°´¯ ♥ ¯`°º·¤. ♥♥~♥♥¸.¤·º°´¯ ♥ ¯`°º·¤.
    ¤·º°´¯ ¸.¤·º°´¯ ¸.¤·º°´¯ ♥ ¯`°º·¤. ¸¯`°º·¤. ¸¯`°

For the past several years, I have given my Grandmother (she'll be 89 in December) a HUGE basket filled with single serving size convenience type foods. I've already started for this year....I spend a few bucks each week at the grocery store - I never really miss a few bucks each week, but it really adds up by December 29th! She is frugal and just won't spend a little more on this type of food, BUT she absolutely LOVES this gift! She will make it last for MONTHS!! And you should hear her brag to her friends about all the goodies! Last year, I included Toaster Strudles and you would have thought she had died and gone to heaven the way she carried on about them! Other foods: tuna & chicken in the "envelopes" because she can't open a can very easily; variety individual boxes of cereal; individual servings of rice; breakfast bars; small cans veggies; individual serving size of soup; oatmeal & hot chocolate packets; 6-pack of pudding and jello; pancake mix you just add water to; Oh yeah, and last year I included Betty Crocker Warm Delights Desserts - she went on and on and on about those! It's just not something she's going to spend $1.50 for.....

I also make mini loaves of blueberry, pumpkin, lemon, etc., bread that she can freeze and take out as needed.

I really enjoy making this gift (can't you tell!?) and it's something that she doesn't have to find a place to put on the shelf and dust throughout the year!

Peyton's Mimi :)
    False
    A fruit and nut basket. If he isn't local send him something from Harry and David. WE are going to send my DH's parents' Harry and David Fruit and Nut baskets this year for Christmas being they leave out of town. They have some really neat baskets on their site and their fruit is out of this world.... YUMMY!!!!!!

Debbie
    False
    This is for a surprise birthday party. Thank you so much for all the wonderful suggestions! Don't know which one I'll decide to do yet, but I sure have losts to choose from now!! :o)
    False
    Books on Tape! Eldery eyesight makes it hard to read print. If he doesn't have a tape recorder you can get him one. If he doesn't have a library card get him one of those too and he can check out books etc. for free!
    False