How much is a turkey breast per pound in your area? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

How much is a turkey breast per pound in your area?

Last post Nov 07, 2006 7:22 AM by lbsfromNC . 17 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 12
  • How much is a turkey breast per pound in your area?
    I usually only make a turkey breast for our family cuz we are so few. Just trying to get an idea for the pricing this year.

Gail
    False
  • RE: How much is a turkey breast per pound in your area?
    A few weeks ago it was on sale for $1.28#. I have never bought it before so I am not sure if that is a good deal or not. I bought 2 of them though - one for DD.

Even though there are just a couple of us for Thanksgiving my Mom & I like the drumsticks so I always buy a big turkey. I actually buy a huge turkey so we can have lots of leftovers! Love leftover turkey!

How do you cook just the breast? I don't want to ruin it.

Sue
    False
    I have several in the freezer. I usually stock up when they are on sale at 99 cents a pound.
    False
    Two4 - we also get the turkey breast, Butterball brand.

One year (about 3 years ago), were at my parent's home for TG. OMG, the turkey was tasteless, like eating sawdust. My mother was in her glory bragging how she'd paid eight cents a pound for it (they're pretty well off but horribly cheap, even feeding their family and company). It was peaked white when she carved it--gag me with a spoon, lol, none of us ate it.

False
    Wow! I wish Canadian got those kind of deals. I was looking at a turkey bread half on Saturday and it was not a large one. Maybe 2 pounds or a bit more with the ribs in it. The price was nearly $12.

Marlene
    False
    just bought a 22 pounds turkey for 5.99, Safeway special on Butterball turkey.....have to have whole turkey as I like the soup from the carcass and sandwiches better than the actual turkey dinner.
    False
    Sue,
    I always do mine in a crockpot so the meat is moist. I prefer the meat to be dry and more like jerky but everyone else likes it moist.
    I put a bunch of chicken stock in the bottom and start it on high. Then I just cook it for awhile (can't tell ya how long but I'm sure there are threads on here that can) on medium and it really comes out great.

Gail
    False
    Gail, thank you. I wanted to make it in the crockpot so that is great. I will do that. Hope you get a good price on one.

Sue
    False
    At the only store we have in our town, turkey breasts are $1.59/lb. They have always been on sale for $.99/lb about 4-6 weeks before Thanksgiving but not this year. I'll wait to buy until they either go on sale or we get to Thanksgiving week and don't! If the price doesn't come down, I'll buy one anyway, as there are just the two of us and we don't care for the dark meat. I can still make soup from the breast carcas.

Sure wish the whole family was around so that I could cook up a feast (while I'm still young enough to do it!).
    False
    Don't know about turkey breast -- the Safeway deal is way better then I found. Our commissary had turkeys for .39 a lb. Couldn't believe it.

I found something that might help.

This is a link to Target -- Super Target in fact for printable coupons. There's a Jennie-O coupon for $2.50 off.

Copy / past this link

http://sites.target.com/site/en/supertarget/page.jsp?title=supertarget_coupons_specials_main&ref=sc_iw_r_12_0

Hope it works -- hope it helps.

Mrs. Lucci
    False
    .99 a pound here in Springfield IL this week at Cub foods
    False
    Last week turkey breast with bone in was $1.68/lb., whole tukey 68 cents/lb. Boneless breast was something over $2.00/lb. Son said whole turkey in Az. last week was 38 cents/lb.
    False
    Hope you all know how lucky you are!!
    We used to get utility turkeys on sale for between 89 cents to 99 cents per pound, but the last couple of years it's hovered around 1.09-1.29. For a grade A you can figure about 1.90 and up. Turkey breast goes for between 10.-12. a pound, sometimes more!!!!!
    False
    Mrs. Lucci,
    Thanks for the link on the Target coupon. I have a Target about a mile away and will end up over there checking out their price on Wednesday.
    Thanks everyone for your input. I can see that we are all over the board for prices on just one product.
    I'll still stick with Aldi for my spiral ham though.

Gail
    False
    You're so welcome! So happy that I could help. I may print those to see if I can use them myself.

Yea... I'm glad for you. Let us know how much you end up paying.
    False