What would be a good dessert to go with soup for my Bible Study group? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

What would be a good dessert to go with soup for my Bible Study group?

Last post Feb 18, 2004 11:52 AM by Jules4Iowa . 15 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 12
  • What would be a good dessert to go with soup for my Bible Study group?
    We take turns bringing things to our group and the main dish is soup (chili, I think). What sounds good to you? Give me some inspiration!
    False
  • RE: What would be a good dessert to go with soup for my Bible Study group?
    Something cool and refreshing after spicy chili -- maybe a lemonade pie or a fruit platter with crisp cookies?
    False
    One of my favorite desserts for a chili meal.

Bake a chocolate cake mix in a 11x15 pan..Let cool. Cover cake with chocolate pudding (I use home made, but you can use cooked jello pudding mix). Next let pudding cool and pour over the cake mix. Cover with cool whip and chopped walnuts. This makes a big dessert. You can use a 1/2 box of cake mix in a 9x13 pan and do the same for the rest....If you don't like chocolate you can use white cake and butterscootch, coconut, or your favorite pudding mix....
    False
    Thanks for the suggestions!
    False
    How about Lemon-Lime Refrigerated Cake? We had it alot growing up and everyone always loves it! It is so refreshing and think it would be great after chili.

~cydnee

Lemon-Lime Refrigerated Cake

1 3ounce package lime jello
    1 box of lemon cake mix

Topping:
    1 envelope Dream Whip
    1 pkg lemon instant pudding mix
    1 1/2 cups (2% or whole) cold milk

1. Dissolve jello in 3/4 cup boiling water. Add 1/2 cup cold water. Set aside at room temperature.

2. Mix and bake cake as directed on pkg in a 9X13 inch pan. Cool cake 20-25 minutes and then poke holes all over top of cake about an inch apart with a fork or meat fork. Stir jello and slowly pour jello over cake into those holes. Refrigerate cake while preparing topping. In a chilled deep bowl, blend with a mixer Dream Whip, pudding and milk until stiff. Immediately frost cake. *cake must be stored in refrigerator.
    False
    Caramel Apple Salad

1 (8-ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
    1 (4-ounce) package instant butterscotch pudding mix
    1 (8-ounce) can crushed pineapple with juice
    3 cups diced apples
    1 cup dry roasted peanuts
    1 cup miniature marshmallows
    Mix cool whip, butterscotch pudding and crushed pineapple with juice.

This really good with chili.It is cold and refeshing.
    False
    In loving memory of Suzy
    Lemon Pudding Ccake

1 yellow cake mix
    1 small package instant lemon pudding
    4 eggs
    1/3 cup oil
    1 cup plus 2 Tablespoons water
    1 small can Lemonade Concentrate
    2-1/2 cups powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 350º.In a large bowl ccombine the cake mix,instant lemon pudding,eggs,oil,and water.Mix for 4 minutes.Grease and flour a 9x13 inch pan.Bake for 40 minutes or until test done.In a small bowl combine the lemonade cconccentrate amd powdered sugar.Mix well.Make holes in the cake with fork,all over.Pour the lemonade mixture over the cake.Return to the oven and continue to bake for 5 minutes.Cool and serve.
    False
    In loving memory of Suzy
    We always eat cinnamon rolls with our chili... or bubble cake.. I take a package of rhodes yeast rolls and let them rise, then roll them in butter then cinnamon and sugar and put them in a bundt pan.. I pour a little melted butter over the top and sprinkle a bit more cinnamon and sugar.. bake it at 350 for about 35-45 minutes until done... very very good. With the family we pull it apart at the table, with with guests you can cut into pieces.
    False
    Wow, you guys, thanks for all your ideas! Those will be great for next time. I got up early this morning and made a fried ice cream dessert.

False
    Anytime I take this dessert to church, I am always asked for the recipe.

Crescent Chocolate Chip Cheese Cake

2 pkgs. crescent rolls
    2 (8 oz.) pkgs. cream cheese
    1/2 to 3/4 C sugar
    1 egg yolk
    1 t vanilla
    1 bag milk chocolate chips (reserve 1/2 C chips)

Preheat oven to 350°. Line a 9 x 13 inch pan with 1 package of crescent rolls, press to seal. Mix cream cheese, sugar, egg yolk, and vanilla until creamy. Add the chocolate chips less the reserved chips. Spread on the filling to 1/4 inch from the edges. Top with second package of crescent rolls. Pinch the edges together. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until golden brown. Remove, frost immediately while hot. Melt reserved chips in microwave and drizzle on iced cheese cake.

--FROSTING:--
    1 C powdered sugar
    1 t vanilla
    1 TBS warm milk

Mix together. Frost baked cheese cake. Refrigerate when cool. Makes 24 to 36 squares.

False

Please be kind to animals.       Trust everyone, but always cut the cards.

I would make a nice apple crisp served with a caramel sauce or ice cream
    False
    "Angel"Food Cake
    False
    Pineapple coconut Pie

1 cup cold milk
    1 package (3.4 ounces) instant
    vanilla pudding mix
    1/2 cup coconut
    1 can (8oz,)crushed pineapple drained
    1 pastry shell--9inch baked
    Whipped topping,optional
    in a mixing bowl, beat milk and pudding mix until thickened . stir in coconut and pineapple.pour into pastry shell, chill for at least 2 hours. Garnish wit whipped topping if desired. yield:6 servings

recipe taken from Taste of Home Recipe card collection,Volume 1,2004 page 95: by Elsie Wilson.Freeman Missouri
    False
    Death leaves a heartache no one can heal Love leaves precious Memories no one can steal God Bless our Troops and emergency workers.
    Would you please share your fried ice cream dessert?? Thanks!! Jules
    False
    I'm glad to share the recipe Jules:

FRIED ICE CREAM DESSERT

3 c. cornflake crumbs
    1/3 c. brown sugar
    1/2 tsp. cinnamon
    1/2 c. melted butter (don't use margarine, it makes the crumbs soggy)
    1 c. toasted coconut, crushed
    1/2 c. finely chopped pecans
    2-3 quarts vanilla ice cream, slightly softened

Combine all ingredients, except ice cream. Spread half of the crumb mixture in a 9x13 pan and press down firmly. Spread the softened ice cream over crumb mixture and smooth with the back of a spoon. Sprinkle with remaining crumbs and press down firmly. Cover and immediately freeze. Let freeze for at least two hours before serving. Remove from freezer 5 minutes before cutting.
    False