How many hours @ what temp. per pound of pork roast?? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

How many hours @ what temp. per pound of pork roast??

Last post Nov 09, 2006 10:51 AM by mayhersh . 2 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
  • How many hours @ what temp. per pound of pork roast??
    I want to do a pork roast for company this weekend. I'll be roasting it in a covered roasting pan in the oven since I have to baste it throughout the roasting time (otherwise I'd use a crockpot).

I'm wondering how many hours per pound of meat, and what temperature?

I have a women's conference earlier in the day, so I won't get home until about 2:30pm, and the company is coming at 6pm... the roast will be thawed, and marinating in the frige, so it'll be ready to go in the oven right away.. unless I should put it in on timed oven for a lower temperature, and if so, what time should I set the oven to start? I'll be leaving about 8:30am that morning.

Thanks for any help!!!
    False
    Check out my blog, www.mycountrycupboard.blogspot.com to see how I do it!
  • RE: How many hours @ what temp. per pound of pork roast??
    ROASTING TEMPERATURES AND TIMES

It is important that pork be cooked thoroughly and therefore requires some special treatment to ensure that it does not dry out. This could be done by roasting at a constant temperature of 325° F. I prefer to start at a higher temperature of 400° F for the first 10 minutes, then reduce to 325°. This allows for a crisping of the outside of the meat. Large cuts with bones require about 20 minutes per pound. Smaller cuts and boneless roasts require 25 minutes per pound. But don't ever trust the "minutes per pound" method exclusively. Always start checking the internal temperature of any roast with a thermometer before it is supposed to be done. Cuts of meat and ovens can make a major difference. The internal temperature of most pork should be about 150° before resting. However, fattier and tougher cuts you will probably want to roast longer. Insert a meat thermometer in the thickest part of the roast to check for doneness. Baste often with pan juices while roasting to help retain moistness
    False
    To everything there is a Time, Season and Purpose
  • RE: How many hours @ what temp. per pound of pork roast??
    THANK YOU!! LOL, I just realized that "hours per pound" is probably WAY overkill!

This is very helpful, it sounds like I won't need to put worry about it getting done before the company comes.
    False
    Check out my blog, www.mycountrycupboard.blogspot.com to see how I do it!