Is It Safe?? (Vanilla from Mexico) | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Is It Safe?? (Vanilla from Mexico)

Last post Nov 15, 2006 2:32 PM by grammacookie . 18 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 12
  • Is It Safe?? (Vanilla from Mexico)
    I was wondering if anyone has gotten pure vanilla extract from Mexico? It is so much cheaper and if it is safe it would be perfect.

I am not sure if they have the same food standards that the US has.

Any info would be great.
    False
  • RE: Is It Safe?? (Vanilla from Mexico)
    I bought some quite a few years ago, when we were down there on a cruise. The Cruise line told us which stores were safe to buy it from. It's been fine, I never had any trouble with it. I think if you buy it from a reputable store, it would be OK, I wouldn't buy it from a street vender.
    False
    You just have to read the label to make sure that one of the ingredients isn't coumadin.

John
    False

John

John

“Then He'll call me some day to my home far away, where His Glory forever I'll share.”
    They do not have anything equivalent to the FDA in Mexico. Good vanilla is a little expensive, but worth it in the long run. (JMHO)

With anything from Mexico, it's caveat emptor (buyer beware)
    SandyC
    False
    Several people that have been to Mexico from my city, have brought me back bottles of Vanilla. What I'm wondering is why do they all smell wonderful but taste so different from the Watkins brand that I normally use? I thought that it had more of a coconut-y flavor, rather than the Vanilla flavor that I'm used to. I used some in making the bars for the last blood drive and a few of the workers said that the bars "tasted different" compared to how they normally tasted. I told them what I had done and they said to "ditch that stuff and go back to Watkins". Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Paulette
    False
    Paulette
    I think it is because of the cumadin that they put in it. also they use a tree bark that changes the flavor. I would be very careful of it. Anyone who takes an asprin for their heart or a blood thinner can get in serious trouble from eating this. The pharmacy warned my dad when he was on cumadin about this, so beware, Chris
    False
    I never use it. I just dont. I have thrown out FULL bottles (large bottles) of it before. Better safe than sorry. IMHO.

Tink~
    False
    Always treat people they way you want to be treated. ~Tink~
    My neice in Texas got me 3 big bottles, 2 dark & one clear. We've been using it for years & we're still kicking.LOL I think it has a better flavor.

Marilyn
    False
    I use it. Mine says coumidin free on the bottles. The other thing for me is that in most recipes we use a Tablespoon or less, so if you take your recipe and divide it by how may it serves, I just can't see it being a problem.
    False
    Have been using Mexican vanilla for 13 years, thats how long DH and I have been spending winters down here, I have been taking coumadin for 12 years. No problems. Mexico does have agencies that check food etc qualities, if they didn't US and other countries would not accept their products, You hear terrible horror stories about Mexico, the residents here do not want to get sick, restaurants are inspected, just like the US or other countries, IMHO the vanilla is fine and good. Judy
    False

IN GOD WE TRUST

BTW, flavors of vanilla can change depending on where the vanilla bean is from and the type of alcohol used.

You can make your own vanilla with vanilla beans and vodka.
    False
    Well I just got out the vanilla that I used for those bars and the label is all in Spanish (?), and it says:

Ingredientes: Saborizantes Naturales

Does anyone have a clue what that says? Oh - the bottle has a red rooster on it too - not that THAT makes any difference, or does it??? LOL

Paulette
    False
    Paulette, I went to Babblefish and tried to translate it from Spanish to English and this is how it is translatted: Natural Saborizantes
    False
    The brand on my vanilla bottle is Azteca.

It states across the corner of the label that it does not contain coumarin.
    False
    I have used both the white and dark and they were fine. Miss P every vanilla from every company seems to taste a little different I think, in fact Costco changed their brand and there is a difference even in those.
    False
    To everything there is a Time, Season and Purpose