I NEED help! How many pounds should my turkey be to feed 24 people? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

I NEED help! How many pounds should my turkey be to feed 24 people?

Last post Nov 22, 2006 8:44 AM by skum . 6 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
  • I NEED help! How many pounds should my turkey be to feed 24 people?
    I have searched & searched, this is all I can find.

Allow at least 1 pound per person for raw meat with bones.

We usually always cook a 24 lb. turkey but my sister was to get a free fresh turkey from work. It was suppose to be at least 20 lbs. She brought it to us late late last night it only weighs 15 lbs!

We are also having a 5 lb. beef roast, which we never have had w/ our turkey dinner before sooooo I do not know how well that will go over.

We are feeding 24 teens/adults & 5 little kids. We of course have lots & lots of other food, but I would hate to run out of turkey on Thanksgiving!

Thank you for your help on this busy day before Thanksgiving!!!

Should we freeze this turkey for another time & try to find a bigger fresh turkey for tomorrow or buy a smaller turkey to cook tomorrow also, or maybe I'm just set???????????????
    False
  • RE: I NEED help! How many pounds should my turkey be to feed 24 people?
    1 pound per person.

Sudzie
    False
    How about adding a turkey breast to the menu? A 20 pound bird with 24 big eaters is cutting it close.

You could tell a few of your closest relatives that they aren't allowed to eat until you see if there will be enough LOL.
    False
    Can you cook another 15 pound turkey along with the other 15 lb turkey? That should be plenty for everyone to have some turkey with you having some leftover too.
    False

Put On A Happy Face

Can you supplement with a turkey breast?

I have 24 coming (not counting the kids) and I am cooking a 7-lb turkey breast (cooking it today) along with a 24-lb turkey. They say 1-lb per person of meat but since everyone helps by bringing a dish, I send leftovers home with them and also like some for us as well.

Donna

False
    I've read 1-1/2 to 2 pounds per person. I think you should get a second turkey or a turkey breast plus the roast. This way you will be sure to have a little as leftovers.
    chefly
    False
    Thanks everyone, that does it, I'm off to the store to see what they still have fresh (not much time left to thaw). I'm just sure this is not enough meat & I am happy to have leftovers!

Thank you everyone, I feel much better having made up my mind!

Have a Happy Thanksgiving!
    False