Twice Baked Potatoes, can they be made day before | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Twice Baked Potatoes, can they be made day before

Last post Nov 25, 2006 7:42 AM by cinnamama . 5 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
  • Twice Baked Potatoes, can they be made day before
    Can these potatoes be made a day ahead, and do you bake them with tin foil or not the first time? Thanks.
    False
  • RE: Twice Baked Potatoes, can they be made day before
    Thanks you answered my question, the recipe I am making has the baked potatoes, sour cream, cheddar cheese and bacon, not sure what else. Just wondered how the whole business would last overnight. Thanks.
    False
    I always make mine the day before...in fact, I've done two days before if it is a really large meal.They turn out fine in the frig. Trish
    False
    I worked for a company that makes frozen twice baked potatoes. The potatoes were baked several days ahead (at 400ºF. without foil)then chilled (this changes the starch in the potato) The "meat" is then scooped out and beaten until smooth in a mixer. The other ingredients are added as desired (cream cheese, bacon, cheddar cheese, etc. The potato shells are then filled and the whole thing is refrozen. They are then rebaked for about 30-45 min. or until heated through. I can't remember the temp. or exactly how long to bake them and that would depend on the size of potatoes you made. The potato meat is always beaten while chilled as this prevents them from getting gummy.
    chefly
    False
    I work at a restaurant where we make up several stuffed potatoes each week. This is how we do them. Bake the potatoes let cool slightly, cut in half lengthwise, carefully scoop out potato into large bowl, leaving a little bit of potato attached. mix the guts with melted butter, sour cream, chives, some instant potatoes and milk to make it stretch. The mixture should be very stiff, the consistancy of bread dough. stuff this back into the potatoes. at this point you can wrap and refrigerate. to serve, bake on a baking sheet unwrapped 350' for about 15 minutes or until hot thoughoout, top with a slice of cheddar, bacon crumbles , bake until cheese is melted top with chopped chives. This can also be done in the microwave.
    Jen
    False
    Everyone else gave you great advice but there is one thing I will add. Pierce your potatoes before baking in the oven. One time I did not so this and the potatoes exploded because there was no steam from the tin foil.

Debbie
    False