OT: How long to set self-cleaning oven cycle? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

OT: How long to set self-cleaning oven cycle?

Last post Dec 02, 2006 6:23 PM by bethcross . 8 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
  • OT: How long to set self-cleaning oven cycle?
    Good morning,

The directions for my self-cleaning oven only state to set start and stop time with no recommendations on how long that should be.

How long do you set yours for?

Thank you very much!
    Suziee
    False
  • RE: OT: How long to set self-cleaning oven cycle?
    On my Mother's stove I believe all you do is lock it and turn the knob to clean & it does it all automatically.

Marilyn
    False
    The old ones didn't give you a choice, but the newer stoves do. If your oven isn't very dirty at all an hour will suffice - but if you are like me and don't remember (or have time!) to clean it often I usually go for the longer times of 2-3 hours.

3 is the longest I've ever seen. I think the 2 hour cleaning is usually perfect.

Don't forget to take out your racks!!!!
    False
    I have a GE range that is 5 years old. It is pre-set for 4-1/2 hours, but you can set it for whatever you want. I usually do mine for 3 hours and that does the trick. When it's time for a cleaning, I wait until I have used the oven. Then after I take the food out, I remove the racks and set it to clean. That way, it is already hot and doesn't require as much time & electricity to increase the heat to cleaning temperatures.
    I saw a hint on this BB for cleaning the racks (I haven't tried it yet but I will the next time I clean my oven). The hint was to put the racks inside a big trash bag, add a couple cups of ammonia, tie the bag shut and let sit for several hours. The dirt will wipe right off and leave your racks looking like new!
    False
    You will not believe your eyes when you do the racks in the bag with ammonia. I like to do this in the summer, leave the bag in the hot sun for a few hours, turn it over to get the other rack soaking in the ammonia. I dump the ammonia after a few hours(just stand back!) and take the hose with the pressure nozzle to it. WOW! Linda
    False
    Blackfoot...

One of my ovens in a previous house was a GE and brand new. The first time I used it on self cleaning I thought I was going to burn down the house - it got so hot and it smelled sooooo bad (and strong) I had to open ALL the windows and the patio door!!! It was about 7 degree's out that day too. :(

It smelled that bad the first 2-3 times I used it - I figured I was burning off some of the chemicals used in making the oven.

By the 5-6 cleaning it wasn't as bad. I think the more you use it the better it will get until it's completely gone.

(My brand new oven in my current house never really smelled at all from the get-go. Whew!)

False
    Thanks for all of the replys. I had to run out so DH checked this thread for me : ) He set it on 2-1/2 hours. When I came back - whew - stinky!! I haven't tried to open it up yet to see how it did.

I made a ham last weekend and used a different pan. The juices spilled over and DH thought the house was on fire!! Had to clean it today. Parents are coming from out of town on Wed. and I'm sure my mom would have commented on my dirty oven!!

Thanks again.
    Suziee
    False
    Your room should be well ventilated when you clean your oven.
    False
    ~~ Brenda ~~
    Also, if you have any birds or small mammals near your kitchen, you should move them away. My manual says the hot fumes can harm or kill them.

For the same reason, you should never heat a nonstick pan when it's completely empty. The fumes can hurt animals and some people.

Cheers - Beth
    False