OT: LAP ROBES | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

OT: LAP ROBES

Last post Dec 07, 2006 12:39 PM by zakons . 12 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
  • OT: LAP ROBES
    I saw on the What Are You Reading site that someone was making lap robes for nursing homes. Can anyone tell me how big they make them? I have a lot of yarn that needs to be donated to churches that have members who do this or I can make some. I know its too late for this Christmas but if I get a good start on next year.......

Marilyn
    False
  • RE: OT: LAP ROBES
    I don't know whether there is a standard size. I've seen them about the size of a baby blanket, some as small as 2 ft x 2 ft, some small blanket size. When I've observed people in the nursing homes, they are thankful for having something so pretty and don't worry about the size. Sorry I can't be more helpful.
    False
    the lionbrand.com site (lion brand yarn) has both patterns and also a list of groups who would love the yarn donation. they are listed by state, maybe there is one close to you. I belong to a group and I love getting yarn that has been donated and then seeing what I am inspired to make. Our leader encourages us to pray for the recipent while we are stitching.
    False
    Thank you kayth and benchsitterNE,

I'll get started on one after this weekend. My son from Ohio is coming in Fri. for 3 or 4 days. We will have an early Christmas with him.

I'll check out the lion brand site to see what size hook to use & maybe a fancier stitch that won't take to long to make and see if there are any places close to give some of the yarn to. Postage is so expensive that I couldn't afford to mail it.

Marilyn

False
    I have a couple here from some relatives that passed away,,,but 2 feet x 2 feet seems small..

Sit in a chair and measure from about your waist down to your feet and as wide as a chair....should be a little longer than wide...just not too bulky...I can't get to mine right now, but I would say more like 2 feet X 3 feet long.... I think that is what I measured these when I did it....

They should be rectangle not square...
    False
    Thanks zakons:

I'm also trying to find a charity here in town that would take yarn and use it for that purpose. I'm not fast enough with all the other things going on around here to get many done.

I would keep some of the yarn to make some but my mother also has a lot & she can't see to do any handwork any more.

Marilyn
    False
    I have been looking/checking around and it seems to be 30 inches wide and either 30 long or 42 long.....if you want a square one or rectangle

My MIL and uncle had rectangle ones. 2 feet does seem to narrow on the width.
    False
    If you like to do the 'granny square" type I have seen patterns for a rectangle (rather than the usual square one) if you like, I could try and find it for you. I just got a new computer and haven't gotten my "favorites" moved or I give you the directions now.
    Also lots of the newest patterns use two strands and a large hook, and go very fast.
    False
    I'm glad some of you know the actual sizing. I couldn't get to any of mine to measure. Be sure though that whatever the size, people will be thankful to get them -- and they love the pretty colors. (My Mom is in a nursing home.)
    False
    As someone who works with the elderly, here is some advice. When you make your beautiful loving lap robe for someone in a home. Think of keeping the loops in a form where no one will see through the robe. It's not only treasured by the one recieving, but appreciated not to be able to be viewed through the lap robe. Many residents have no bottom coverage do to there medical care. So a robe with large holes can show to much on a loved one in the home.

Don't be afraid also to make them dressy. Many residents appreciate the love and thoughtfulness that goes in these robes. Also attatch by hand a piece of white material in the corner edge of the robe.Fastening it all around the white material. Then someone can take a permant pen and write the patients name on the robe instantly,when it's recieved. Instead of going into the mending pile instantly waiting for someone to tag it.

As for size make it the size from a 4 year old child, to a toddler,and to a baby. Some use them in there wheel chairs, gerry chairs(which is a bigger chair), motorized chair, and even like laying on there bed being covered by a beautiful afaghan feeling more like there homey with them.
    False
    Thanks girls, I knew I could depend on ya'll for the answers. I'll make a note of all the suggestions. I have my little "snatch & grabbit" today and have to make some cream puffs for my sons visit this weekend after "s & g" goes home, but sure will use them.

I never thought of putting a border around them to fancy them up a bit. I was going to do a double crochet. It seems like they are a little more light weight. I don't want them to be so heavy, just help keep their legs warm.

Thanks again, hope I can help ya'll out sometime.

Marilyn
    False
    i just used myself to measure as i was making the lap robe for my grandmother, who is in a nursing home. It turned out just right. since she was in a wheelchair at the time, I did not put any fringe, which might get caught in the wheels. To donate your yarn, would you consider Project Linus? They make & distribute handmade blankets to children in the US, & are always grateful for raw materials as well. Check for yourself on www.projectlinus.com. Thanks for your consideration.
    False
    That is a super idea about putting a white piece of material so they can put the persons name on the blanket..

Everything has to have their name on it and that would really make it easier...
    False