How to Cook a Perfect Standing Rib Roast | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

How to Cook a Perfect Standing Rib Roast

Last post Jul 21, 2009 8:25 PM by emanuelstern . 27 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 12
  • How to Cook a Perfect Standing Rib Roast
    I did a separate Post on this because it is a Delicious Christmas Favorite and I have seen the question asked more than once recently.
    With the holiday season hectic "preparations" I just got around to posting it.

I use this method from Epicurious . I have made many Standing Rib Roasts as it is my Husband's favorite and I have never had a failure with this method.

A couple of important points in my opinion.

1)Begin with a room Temp roast not cold or cool

2) I would never be without a Meat Thermometer for this roast. I have an instant read but I use the kind inserted midway into center of roast That way you can monitor the internal temp.throughout the cooking.

3) I strongly agree with Carol ,don't overcook this expensive cut. We like medium , outside is cooked more and I too broil a thick individual slice if someone wants more well done meat.

4)Lastly let roast sit after cooking for 20 minutes before slicing

STANDING RIB ROAST

Start with a very high oven temperature to seal in the meat juices. (This is equivalent to browning meat before roasting.) When the meat comes out of the oven, let it rest before carving, or the juices will run out.

1 standing rib roast of beef, about 6 1/2 pounds
    3 or 4 cloves of garlic, thinly slivered
    Coarse salt and pepper

1. Preheat the oven to 450°F.
    2. Make small slits in the meat with the tip of a small knife; insert the garlic slivers. Rub the meat with salt and pepper. Roast on a rack in a shallow pan for 25 minutes.

3. Reduce the oven temperature to 350°F and roast for 16 minutes per pound (about 1 3/4 hours), or until a meat thermometer reaches an internal temperature of 135°F to 140°F for a medium-rare center. Let rest for 15 minutes before carving. Per serving: 379 calories, 1g carbohydrates, 45g protein, 21g fat, 131mg cholesterol.
    Nutritional Breakdown: New Wellness, Richmond, Va.

Makes 8 servings.

Simply Delicious® by Sheila Lukins
    PARADE®

False

Susan-Serving as a Taste Of Home Field Editor since 2009

• RE: How to Cook a Perfect Standing Rib Roast
    Alliea all good tips here.

Ladies a standing rib or prime rib is one of the easiest cuts of meat to prepare. Trust me when I say you can do it!! Carol
    False

Carol

We buy a whole one a couple of times a year, from Cirelli's, a food warehouse but no membership required.
    Then we cut it into one or two roasts and a few steaks.It's more economical to buy the whole thing and boy do we love having those in the freezer. That's a perfect and foolproof way to cook one, but I've never done the garlic. Next time I'm going to give it a try. Thanks for the suggestion.
    False

Thanks for posting.I might give it a try. A friend of ours made one a few years ago and invited us. It was delicious.
    False
    Thanks Alliea for these wondefull tips
    False
    Alliea can this be made into a standing crown type of roast any you the centre with stuffings
    False
    krrispy..... I have never stuffed a beef roast and since my husband does not eat onion or celery I have to do my stuffing separate for pork or turkey also , so I do not claim to have a TNT method for this to pass on.

However the standing rib roast is awesome!

Alliea
    False

In my Husband's opinion you "NEED" yorkshire pudding with this TOO! LOL

Alliea
    False

Alliea can this be made into a crown roast
    False
    I have only done a Pork Crown roast like below.

Alliea

Preparing Crown Roast

Professional chef Andrew Zimmern explains how to prepare a crown roast.

Ingredients/Materials:

pork
    6 cups water
    1/2 cup salt
    1/2 cup sugar
    string
    store-bought stuffing
    1/2 cup each of celery, onion and carrots or any other vegetables of choice
    maple syrup

Preparation:

Select the meat. Zimmern suggests using a natural pork that is marbled. This will produce a nice browned exterior. Count on about one bone per person for portions.

Start preparing the meat by seasoning it. One great way to do this is to brine the meat: Place meat in six cups of water, 1/2 cup salt and sugar for one hour per pound. Tie the meat. Use two pieces of butcher string to it up right under the bone. Leave a bow on the end so that you can easily pull it apart.

Stuff it with a mixture of one bag of store-bought stuffing and 1/2 cup each of celery, onion and carrots or other vegetables. Fill the center of the roast with the stuffing. Baste with maple syrup.

Start roasting at a high level of heat--say, 425--for 25 minutes, then turn down to 325 for the rest of the time. In total it roasts for 25 minutes per pound. Decorate and serve.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GUESTS:
    Andrew Zimmern
    Professional Chef and Culinary Expert, Food Works Inc.
    1116 Raymond Ave.

False

Alliea Thanks
    False
    Thanks for the tips and recipe...

Is there a chart that exists for how many pounds to buy per person or serving?
    False
    Boneless meat (ground meat, stew meat, boneless roasts or chops)—1/4 to 1/3 pound per serving.
    Bone-in meat (steaks, chops, chicken pieces)—1/3 to 1/2 pound per serving.
    Bony meat (ribs)—3/4 to 1 pound per serving

Holiday Portions

Holiday portion sizes account for second helpings. You may adjust as needed.

How Much to Buy
    Item Amount per Person

Prime Rib 1 rib for two people
    Beef Tenderloin 1/2 lb
    Top Round 1/2 lb
    Rack of Veal
    (5 chops) 1-2 chops
    Rack of Pork
    (4-7 chops) 1-2 chops
    Pork Salute Roast
    (8-14 chops) 1-2 chops
    Fresh Ham 3/4-1 lb
    Spiral Sliced Ham 1/2 lb
    Rack of Lamb 3-4 chops
    Semi-Boneless Leg of Lamb 3/4–1 lb
    Boneless Leg of Lamb 1/2 lb
    Whole Turkey 1 lb
    Turkey Breast 1/2 lb

False
    zakons---------- Thankyou for the meat chart. It is particularily valuable this time of year.

Alliea
    False

• Re: RE: How to Cook a Perfect Standing Rib Roast

For any holiday meals....a good post.....

False