*Recipe: Couche couche (also called cush cush), a Cajun/Creole Breakfast Treat! | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

*Recipe: Couche couche (also called cush cush), a Cajun/Creole Breakfast Treat!

Last post Jul 13, 2008 9:17 PM by chefly . 6 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
  • *Recipe: Couche couche (also called cush cush), a Cajun/Creole Breakfast Treat!
    Couche couche, though mainly a Cajun breakfast threat, is also enjoyed by many Creoles too. If you are looking for a taste of authentic Cajun/Creole, then you'll want to give this recipe a try. I got it from my favorite paper, the New Orleans Times Picyune. I sure hate to say it, but it's even better than the couche couche Mama (and even Grandma) made when I was a child!

2 c. yellow corn meal
    1-1/2 tsp. salt
    1 tsp. baking powder
    1-1/2 c. milk
    1/2 c. bacon drippings or vegetable oil

Combine the corn meal, salt, baking powder, and milk in medium sized bowl. Mix well. heat the bacon drippings in a medium sized cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add the corn meal mixture and allow a crust to form at the bottom. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, scraping the bottom of the skillet using a spatula to stir and fold the crust. Cook until mixture is golden and resembles crumbled cornbread. Serve hot.

Note: Serve your couche couche (or cush cush) with butter and cane syrup to taste. Bacon or ham, eggs, and good chickory coffee complete the meal. Aaaaahhhh....now that's REAL Louisiana cooking!
    False
  • RE: *Recipe: Couche couche (also called cush cush), a Cajun/Creole Breakfast Treat!
    Sounds like grits, and I love grits! Thank you!!!
    Ellen
    False
  • RE: *Recipe: Couche couche (also called cush cush), a Cajun/Creole Breakfast Treat!
    Sounds like polenta. I like polenta.
    False
    My grandmother made this all the time. She just called it fried cornbread. We ate it with butter and syrup like pancakes or heaped beans or green over it.
    False
    Uh oh! It's not creamy such as grits or polenta (both of which I adore) and I'm afraid it's not like hot water cornbread, johnny cakes, or a hoe cake either. The finished product actually looks like fluffy crumbled up cornbread. As the couche couche cooks, a crust keeps forming at the bottom. You keep breaking up the crust and folding it into the pan with the use of a spatula. Talk about comfort food! I have a feeling I'm going to go make some before this day ends. I always get such a longing for the foods of my native Louisiana when Mardi Gras draws near.
    False
  • Re: RE: *Recipe: Couche couche (also called cush cush), a Cajun/Creole Breakfast Treat!

My Momma made this a lot for us growing up. We called it cush cush, was not sure of the spelling. After it was done, it was served with eggs, over easy...mix up the yolk into the cush cush. I miss this dish. I also ate grits and eggs a lot growing up. Also something called potato eggs...eggs cracked over fried potatoes. Not sure where that originated.

Jenny

False
  • Re: RE: *Recipe: Couche couche (also called cush cush), a Cajun/Creole Breakfast Treat!

That does sound good. I'll try it as soon as I get some cornmeal.

Jenny, My mom topped mashed potatoes with a 4 minute egg and we loved it. I haven't thought about that in many years. I wonder if my mom even remembers making it.

Thanks for the good memories.

chefly

False