Cub scout potluck | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Cub scout potluck

Last post Feb 20, 2004 10:42 PM by Carrieann3 . 10 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
  • Cub scout potluck
    What should I bring to my son's Cub Scout potluck? The theme is Mexican food. I also have to bring a dessert.

Thanks
    barbara
    False
  • RE: Cub scout potluck
    Blackfootallspice just posted a recipe for Grandma's Tamale Pie earlier. I bumped it up for you if your interested!
    False

This is my own concoction...

Boy Scout Casserole

Serves 8 - 12

2 lbs ground turkey or ground round, browned and drained
    1 onion, chopped
    4 - 5 potatoes, sliced (I leave the peel on)
    2 cans cream of mushroom or chicken soup
    1/2 soup can of milk
    1+1/2 cups sharp cheddar cheese
    2 tsp garlic powder
    1/2 tsp black pepper
    1 tsp Mrs. Dash

Preheat oven to 350*f
    Spray Dutch oven with non-stick cooking spray. Mix all spices together in a small bowl or cup. Layer the browned ground round or turkey, then the potatoes, sprinkle with some of the seasoning blend. Then layer 1 cup of the cheese, onion, and the green beans. Mix soup with the milk in a bowl and pour all over the layers. Bake for 45 minutes - 1 hour or until potatoes are tender.
    Pour remaining 1/2 cup of cheese on top of layers during the last 10 minutes of cooking.

I never brought any of this home.

*To make it spicy, season your meat with cayenne pepper or taco seasoning mix while browning.

Proud Mom of an Eagle Scout, with Palms

False
    This has been a favorite with my kids from day one

Taco Pie

1 1/2 cups mashed potatoes (real or instant)
    1/2 package (2 Tbsp) taco seasoning
    1/4 cup onmion sauted or raw
    1 cup refried beans
    1/4 cup cheddar cheese grated
    1/4 cup salsa
    lettuce and tomato
    tortilla chips or corn chips
    Combine mashe potatoes and 1 tbsp taco seasoning. Spread in 9" pie plate. combine sauted onions, beans, cheese and salsa plus rest of taco seasoning. spoon over potatoes. cover with waxed paper and cook in microwave on hi 5-7 min. Sprinkle with lettuce, tomatoe and chips

I often double recipe and put in 9x13. Could also serve it with sour cream.

Jill
    False
    These are very good and I have served them many times. They always disappear. They're good appetizers, or you can leave each one whole, if you prefer. They're very, very easy, since you can use either store-bought seasoned chicken, or use the shredded meat from a rotisserie chicken.

Chicken Quesadillas (Appetizer)
    2 c shredded cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese
    6-Flour tortillas
    1 c shredded cooked chicken
    1/4 c sliced green onion
    *diced tomatoes, or salsa*
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a large baking sheet. Mix cheese, chicken, green onion. *(I also add either diced tomatoes or salsa to mixture, whatever I have available).
    Spread approx 1/3 cup mixture evenly over half of each tortilla. Fold tortillas in half over filling. Cut each tortilla in half. Bake 5 mins, or until cheese is melted. Serve with sour cream & salsa. Makes 12 quesadillas.

Can be made ahead of time and refrigerated.

Since they just need to be heated, try microwaving a short time to melt cheese, if you can't do so in the oven.

Arlene
    False
    Forgot about the dessert part - I think the Dreamsicle Salad would be a good go-with for the Mexican theme because it's easy, refreashing, and everybody likes it. I, however, use the sugar-type gelatin and pudding.

Dreamsicle Salad

1 small box sugar-free orange gelatin (dry mix)
    1 small box sugar-free instant vanilla pudding (dry mix)
    1 small can mandarin oranges, drained (reserve liquid)
    2 cups miniature marshmallows
    8 ounces light whipped topping

Directions:

In large bowl, mix orange gelatin (dry mix) and vanilla pudding (dry mix). Fold whipped topping into the dry mixes. Add two to four tablespoons reserved mandarin orange liquid and stir well. Add mandarin oranges and miniature marshmallows until well blended. Chill well.
    Makes 8 to 10 servings.

Arlene
    False
    This is so good!

Sombrero Casserole (from TOH ground beef cookbook)

1 pound ground beef
    1 small onion, chopped
    1 small green pepper, chopped
    2 packages (8-1/2 ounces each) corn bread/muffin mix (Jiffy)
    1 can (14-3/4 ounces) cream style corn
    2 eggs
    4 cups (16 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese (I use the monterey jack/cheddar mix)
    1 cup picante sauce
    tortilla chips

In a skillet, cook beef, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain and set aside. In a bowl, combine corn bread mixes, corn and eggs; mix well. Spread half into a greased 13X9 inch baking dish. Top with the meat mixture, 3 cups of the cheese and the picante sauce. Spread with remaining corn bread mixture. Bake, uncovered at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. I like to sprinkle on crushed tortilla chips followed by the remaining 1 cup of cheese during the last 5 minutes of baking. *you can leave out onion and green pepper if you wish since picante sauce has those in it.
    False
    Ravoli Taco Bake

1 Large can of Ravoli
    1 Package Taco Seasoning
    1-2 Pounds ground beef
    Water that the season package calls for.
    Brown ground beef and drain grease off.Then add taco seasoning mix and let come to a boil.Turn down to simmer and cook for 8-10 minutes.Put Ravoli in a 9x13 inch casserole dish.Add taco meat and top off with cheese.Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes are until cheese is melted and bubbly
    False
    In loving memory of Suzy
    False
    Creamy Poblano Rice with Chicken

3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
    1 small onion, finely chopped
    1 small poblano chile pepper, finely chopped
    2 (about 8 oz. total) boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, cut into bite-size pieces
    1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, or paprika (optional)
    1 cup uncooked rice, (medium or short grain)
    3 1/2 cups chicken broth
    1 can (12 fl. oz.) CARNATION Evaporated Milk
    1 can (4 oz.) mushroom pieces, drained

Directions:

HEAT 2 tablespoons of oil in large non-stick saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and pepper; cook, stirring frequently, for 2 minutes. Add chicken, black pepper and red pepper flakes; cook, stirring frequently, until chicken is lightly browned and no longer pink. Remove chicken mixture to bowl; set aside.

HEAT remaining oil in same saucepan over medium heat. Add rice and stir to coat well. Microwave broth in 1-quart microwave-safe measuring cup on HIGH (100%) power for 3 1/2 to 4 minutes or until very hot. Add the hot broth to the rice little by little, stirring constantly. Allow each addition of broth to be absorbed before adding the next. Once the broth is gone, add the evaporated milk in the same manner, stirring until absorbed. The process will take between 25 to 35 minutes. When the rice is soft, stir in the reserved chicken mixture and mushrooms to the rice. Rice should be creamy, not soupy.

False
    Chocolate Chip Mexican Wedding Cakes

These are actually cookies. And a really quick and easy recipe.

1 cup butter, softened (2 sticks)
    1/2 cup sifted powdered sugar
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    2/3 cup finely chopped nuts
    2 teaspoons to 2 1/2 ground cinnamon
    12 ounces NESTLÉ TOLL HOUSE Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels, divided

PREHEAT oven to 350ºF.

BEAT butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl until creamy. Beat in vanilla extract. Gradually beat in flour, nuts and cinnamon. Stir in 1½ cups of the morsels. Roll dough into 1-inch balls; place on ungreased baking sheets.

BAKE for 10 to 12 minutes or until set and light golden brown on bottom. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.

MICROWAVE remaining morsels in a heavy-duty plastic bag on HIGH (100%) power for 30 seconds; knead. Microwave at 10- to 15-second intervals, kneading until smooth. Cut a tiny corner from bag; squeeze to drizzle over cookies. Chill cookies for about 5 minutes or until chocolate is set. Store at room temperature in airtight containers.

Makes 54 cookies.

Carrieann

False