ISO: turtle candy recipe uses homemade caramel | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

ISO: turtle candy recipe uses homemade caramel

Last post Dec 23, 2010 6:32 PM by tinygirl58 . 11 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
  • ISO: turtle candy recipe uses homemade caramel
    I believe it was posted a few days ago a wonderful turtle recipe where you make caramel using sweetened condessed milk.... but then you pour that on the pecans and then you put the melted chocolate on that. Does any one know what recipe I mean?? I do not want any recipe that use the caramels you unwrap, thanks.
    False
    Amy
  • RE: ISO: turtle candy recipe uses homemade caramel
    bump for help
    False

RE: recipe for turtles
    Posted by: Charles Posted on: 11/25/2001 7:33:03 AM
    #R68594

Hi Sandra L.
    Here is a recipe for turtles. They are a bit twiddly to put together, but once you have tasted them you'll never, NEVER, make any others. I have been making these for twenty years, and it just isn't Christmas without them.

First of all you'll need some plastic candy molds. I get mine at our bulk food store, and they actually look like turtles. I use about six, you could do with less, it would just take a little longer. I also can't tell you measurements, because I just estimate, but read on and give them a chance.

You'll need:
    1. The candy moulds, I use a medium size.
    2. Eagle Brand Condensed Milk (The cheaper versions are just as good)
    3. Semi-sweet chocolate wafers (bulk food stores).
    4. Pecans, whole, chopped, whatever is preferred (this is optional, they're great without them also).

Carmelize the condensed milk.(directions are on this b.b. or at the eaglebrand website).
    Melt chocolate wafers a bit at a time over a double boiler.
    Coat moulds with chocolate, not too thick (I use the back of a teaspoon). I put them in the freezer at this stage, because they set faster. Continue coating moulds, by the time you are finished with the last mould the first ones are ready for the next stage.
    When chocolate is hard, add a dollop of caramel, put a pecan, or sprinkle chopped pecans, on top and cover this with another coating of chocolate.
    Put back into the freezer and leave until chocolate is set.(when your last one goes in the first comes out).
    Pop out of mould and reuse until you have no caramel left.
    Store in an airtight container is a cool place.
    Enjoy !!!!! These are even better than the store bought turtles because the caramel stays soft.

The reason I can't give amounts is that I make so many at a time that I just lose count. I do anywhere from six to twelve cans of the milk. A lg. bag full of the wafers at the bulk store should do it I think.
    Charles

False

RE: Pecan Delights
    Posted by: bonnieq Posted on: 3/2/2005 2:57:07 PM
    #R5309357

Pecan Delights

2 1/4 c packed brown sugar
    1 c butter or margarine
    1 c light corn syrup
    1/8 tsp salt
    1 can (14oz) sweetened condensed milk
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    1 1/2 lbs whole pecans
    1 c semisweet chocolate chips
    1 c milk chocolate chips
    2 tbsp shortening

In a large saucepan, combine the first 4 ingredients. Cook over medium heat until all the sugar is dissolved. Gradually add millk and mix well. Continue cooking until candy thermometer reads 248º (firm-ball stage). Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla until blended. Fold in the pecans. Drop by tablespoofuls onto a greased or parchment-lined cookie sheet. Chill until firm. Loosen from paper. Melt chocolate chips and shortening in a microwave safe bowl or double boiler. Drizzle over each cluster. Cool.
    Yield: about 4 dozen

False

Were these close?

False

I think thank I'll try the delights, but the recipe I remember said lay out the pecans like a snowflake.
    False
    Amy
    I found this on cooks.com

TURTLE CANDY
    Printed from COOKS.COM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bring to boil: 1 c. Karo syrup 1 c. butter 1 tsp. cream of tartar 1 can Eagle Brand milk
    After this comes to a full rolling boil, let it boil for 12 minutes. Then cool. Don't stir. Just drop on top of nuts, then cover with chocolate.

False
    Amy
    This is how I've made mine for years and everyone loves them.

Caramelize a can of Eagle Brand condensed milk. I use the "boil the unopened can" method, but many people are afraid of that and I know there are instructions on how to do it in the oven in a pie plate. Anyway, I put some wax paper on the countertop.

I melt some dipping chocolate (I like to use Ghirardelli dipping chocolate which is only available at Sam's during the Christmas season, but any kind will do) take a spoonful and carefully "swirl" the chocolate onto the wax paper in round shapes, about the size of a 50 cent piece. I let these harden, then arrange 3 pecan halves in sort of like a peace sign without the circle on top of the chocolate.

I then dollop a heaping spoonful of the Eagle Brand caramel over the middle part of the pecans (the part where they are touching).

I pour more chocolate from a spoon over the top and spread it over the caramel. Let the whole thing cool and pack in tins. They last really well and they are so much better than store-bought turtles that it's unbelievable!

Emily

I place a couple of teaspoons of the caramelized condensed milk
    False
    Emily
    Oh, and you can't beat the caramelized Eagle Brand milk - so much better than melted "store-bought" caramels, to me, anyway. The caramel is very creamy and not hard and chewy.
    False
    Emily
    I finally found it!!

By Emeril:

Chocolate Covered Turtles Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse, 2003
    Show: Emeril Live
    Episode: Sweet on Sweets

4 tablespoons butter, cut up, plus more for pans
    3/4 pound pecan halves (about 3 1/2 cups), toasted
    1 cup evaporated milk
    1 cup light corn syrup
    1 cup sugar
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1/2 pound semisweet chocolate, chopped
    1 tablespoon vegetable shortening (recommended: Crisco)

Generously butter 2 baking sheets.
    On the baking sheets, arrange the pecan halves in snowflake-shaped clusters of 5 pecans each, overlapping the nuts in the center, leaving 2 inches of space between each.

In a medium saucepan, combine 1/2 cup of the evaporated milk, the corn syrup, and sugar and bring to a boil. Add the remaining 1/2 cup evaporated milk and the 4 tablespoons butter, and cook, stirring constantly, until it reaches the soft ball stage, 240 degrees F. Stir in the vanilla and remove from the heat. Let cool to 200 degrees F.

Using a tablespoon, spoon caramel on top of each nut cluster and let harden. (If the caramel becomes too stiff to pour, return to low heat, and cook, stirring constantly, until it returns to the proper consistency.)

To make the chocolate coating, in the top of a double boiler or in a metal bowl set over barely simmering water, combine 6 ounces of the chocolate and the shortening. Melt over low heat, stirring, until it reaches 116 to 118 degrees F, or feels fairly warm but not hot to the touch.

Remove from the heat and stir in the remaining 2 ounces of chocolate. Continue stirring until the chocolate reaches 80 degrees F or feels cool to the touch. Return to low heat and cook, stirring, until the temperature rises to 85 to 87 degrees F, or feels barely cool. Remove from the heat.

Drizzle 1 tablespoon of tempered chocolate over each cluster. Set aside in a cool place to harden. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 weeks, with waxed paper separating the layers to prevent sticking

False
    Amy
  • Re: RE: ISO: turtle candy recipe uses homemade caramel

Chocolate Covered Turtles

Makes 55-60

INGREDIENTS

1 ½ lbs. (7 ½ cups) pecan halves

½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into small pieces, plus more for baking sheet

2 cups light corn syrup

½ cup whole milk

2 cups sugar

Pinch Baking Soda

1 can (12 oz.) evaporated milk

2 lbs. milk chocolate chips

1.     Preheat oven to 350 F. Spread pecans in a single layer on a rimmed baking

sheet; toast in oven until fragrant. Let cool. Generously butter baking sheet.

Drop 1 Tbsp tempered chocolate (steps 1-3 at end of recipe). Arrange 5 pecans in a snowflake shaped cluster overlapping nuts in center, on one of the prepared sheets. Repeat with remaining nuts.

2.     In a heavy saucepan, combine corn syrup, milk and sugar. Place over

medium-high heat; cook, stirring occasionally, until mixture comes to a boil,

about 6 minutes. Stir in baking soda.

3.     Clip a candy thermometer to pan; add butter, stirring constantly until melted 

and keeping mixture at a full boil. Slowly pour in evaporated milk; cook at a boil stirring constantly until temperature registers 240 F (soft ball stage) about 45 minutes. If pan starts to overflow, reduce heat for a few minutes, then return to boil.

4.     Remove caramel from heat; transfer to a medium heat proof bowl. Let cool

to  200 F; caramel should have the consistency of thick honey.

5.     Using a spoon, gently drizzle 1 Tbsp of the caramel on top of each nut

cluster. If caramel becomes to stiff, place bowl over medium heat; stirring constantly for several minutes until returned to proper consistency. Let caramel cluster set.

6.     Temper chocolate, following steps 1-3.

(1.  Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper, and set aside (using serated knife, chop chocolate into bean-sized pieces) separate chocolate 2/3rds in dry heat proof bowl. Set aside remaining chocolate.  2.  Fill a saucepan with 2 inches of water, and bring to a simmer; turn off heat. Set bowl with chocolate over pan, and stir gently with rubber spatula until chocolate has melted and an instant read thermometer registers 118 F.  3.  Remove bowl from pan. Add reserved chopped chocolate. Stir constantly, bringing chocolate up sides and back down into bowl, until temp cools to about 86 F. To determine if chocolate is tempered drizzle a thin line onto a cool stainless-steel surface. The chocolate should dry to a matte finish in about 5 minutes.)

7.     Drizzle 1 Tbsp tempered chocolate over each cluster; set aside in a cool

place to harden. Store turtles in airtight container at room temperature up

to 1 month.

False
  • Re: ISO: turtle candy recipe uses homemade caramel

Take a can of Eagle sweetened condensed milk. Take the lable off lay the can on its side in a deep pot. Fill to the top with water, bring to a rapid boil then reduce to medium. Keep the can covered with water. Add more hot water if needed. Cook for 3 hours, then remove from pan. Let cool. In the mean time melt chocolate disk ( wilton ) in microwave untill smooth. Spoon on wax paper cookie sheet, splats of chocolate spoon size. Let set. Then put caramel on top and add pecans. ( you can cover unused caramel in refridge ) After the caramel sets , add more chocolate.

Enjoy !!!!!!!!

False