Our 10 most popular recipes for the month delivered right to your inbox!
Chocolate Covered Turtles
1 ½ lbs. (7 ½ cups) pecan halves
½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into small pieces, plus more for baking sheet
2 cups light corn syrup
½ cup whole milk
2 cups sugar
Pinch Baking Soda
1 can (12 oz.) evaporated milk
2 lbs. milk chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Spread pecans in a single layer on a rimmed baking
sheet; toast in oven until fragrant. Let cool. Generously butter baking sheet.
Drop 1 Tbsp tempered chocolate (steps 1-3 at end of recipe). Arrange 5 pecans in a snowflake shaped cluster overlapping nuts in center, on one of the prepared sheets. Repeat with remaining nuts.
2. In a heavy saucepan, combine corn syrup, milk and sugar. Place over
medium-high heat; cook, stirring occasionally, until mixture comes to a boil,
about 6 minutes. Stir in baking soda.
3. Clip a candy thermometer to pan; add butter, stirring constantly until melted
and keeping mixture at a full boil. Slowly pour in evaporated milk; cook at a boil stirring constantly until temperature registers 240 F (soft ball stage) about 45 minutes. If pan starts to overflow, reduce heat for a few minutes, then return to boil.
4. Remove caramel from heat; transfer to a medium heat proof bowl. Let cool
to 200 F; caramel should have the consistency of thick honey.
5. Using a spoon, gently drizzle 1 Tbsp of the caramel on top of each nut
cluster. If caramel becomes to stiff, place bowl over medium heat; stirring constantly for several minutes until returned to proper consistency. Let caramel cluster set.
6. Temper chocolate, following steps 1-3.
(1. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper, and set aside (using serated knife, chop chocolate into bean-sized pieces) separate chocolate 2/3rds in dry heat proof bowl. Set aside remaining chocolate. 2. Fill a saucepan with 2 inches of water, and bring to a simmer; turn off heat. Set bowl with chocolate over pan, and stir gently with rubber spatula until chocolate has melted and an instant read thermometer registers 118 F. 3. Remove bowl from pan. Add reserved chopped chocolate. Stir constantly, bringing chocolate up sides and back down into bowl, until temp cools to about 86 F. To determine if chocolate is tempered drizzle a thin line onto a cool stainless-steel surface. The chocolate should dry to a matte finish in about 5 minutes.)
7. Drizzle 1 Tbsp tempered chocolate over each cluster; set aside in a cool
place to harden. Store turtles in airtight container at room temperature up
to 1 month.
Take a can of Eagle sweetened condensed milk. Take the lable off lay the can on its side in a deep pot. Fill to the top with water, bring to a rapid boil then reduce to medium. Keep the can covered with water. Add more hot water if needed. Cook for 3 hours, then remove from pan. Let cool. In the mean time melt chocolate disk ( wilton ) in microwave untill smooth. Spoon on wax paper cookie sheet, splats of chocolate spoon size. Let set. Then put caramel on top and add pecans. ( you can cover unused caramel in refridge ) After the caramel sets , add more chocolate.
© RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC 2014