Looking for a potato dish to go with prime rib for Christmas | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Looking for a potato dish to go with prime rib for Christmas

Last post Dec 22, 2006 2:20 AM by Fishin . 26 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 2 of 2 (27 items) 12
  • RE: Looking for a potato dish to go with prime rib for Christmas
    Thanks Yankeecook for your recipe. I saw it this morning and copied it out to show to my Daughter In Law. I am also have boneless prime rib for Christmas and had decided on rice to go with it until I saw your recipe. She thought it would be really good too so Potato Gratin with Boursin it is. Kudo's to you for this recipe.
    False
    Thank you all so much!!!! I appreciate the recipes. I will let you know which one I choose! I'm not sure yet! They all sound so delicious!!

Cyndi
    False
    I am also serving prime rib for Christmas and I'm having loaded mashed potato casserole with it.

Loaded Mashed Potato Casserole

5" potatoes - cooked and mashed
    1/2 C milk
    8 oz cream cheese
    8 oz sour cream
    1 t dried chives
    1 t garlic salt
    1/4 C shredded cheddar cheese
    12 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled

Place 1st 7 ingredients in a large bowl. Beat on medium high until smooth and creamy. Spoon into a lightly greased 9 x 13" baking dish. Sprinkle with cheese and bacon. Cover and bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted and bubbly.
    False
    The potatoes I prefer with prime rib is Duchess Potatoes. At least that is what I think they are called. They are mashed potatoes piped through a star shaped icing tip (a large one) to about half an orange size and then browned in the oven. They are golden and crusty on the outside and soft inside.

Marlene
    False
    Marlene,
    Your potatoes sound great - is there a special recipe that you could share? thanks! moonbow
    False
    Hi Moonbow - I just mash potatoes as usual and put them in a large pastry decorating bag with a large star tip. Then I squeeze them out to about a half an orange in size onto a cookie sheet. Then I stick them in an oven set at 350º and bake until golden and crusty. Watch so that they don't scorch. The best part of this is they can be ready to stick in the oven ahead of time to make one less chore when you are rushed preparing things. I don't usually add any special stuff to the mashed potatoes but I've often thought about adding bacon bits or shredded cheddar cheese. Just never have done it.

Marlene
    False
    My family loves this dish

Hash Brown Casserole

1 package hash brown potato patties, thawed and crumbled ( 9 in package)
    1 can cream of chicken soup, undiluted
    1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
    1/4 cup butter melted
    1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
    1/4 cup green onion, finely chopped
    1 carton ( 1 pound) sour cream
    pepper to taste
    2 cups cornflakes, crushed
    1/4 cup butter, melted
    paprika, garnish

In a large bowl combine all of the ingredients except the last two (cornflakes and 1/4 cup butter). Stir well. Spoon the mixture into a sprayed medium size shallow baking dish. Arrange the corn flakes over the top then drizzle the 1/4 cup melted butter over all. Spritz well with paprika, then place uncovered in a preheated 350 degrees oven and bake for 50-55 minutes, should be crispy brown on top.

Kate
    False
    Thank you so very much! I am going to try these for our Christmas meal! Merry Christmas!
    False
    False

Thanks for all those wonderful potatoe recipes.
    Cyndi your recipe sounds great,but the Standing Rib Roast recipe is very complecated.I think a better idea is to come to your house and taste it ,since we are driving through Kansas,I hope soon,to go to Colorado.We might be late for Christmas,since we have to wait for the roads to clear.

Renate
    False
    I'm having a rib roast too and I just quarter potatoes, toss with olive oil, salt and pepper. Put in a Pyrex dish and cover with foil and roast about an hour in a 325º oven.
    False

The secret of happiness is not in doing what one likes, but in liking what one has to do. ~Barrie

Math is fun!

Click for Soldotna, Alaska Forecast

These are always good.

Swedish Hasselback Potatoes
    (Potato Fans)

24 small white potatoes (1 1/2 pounds)
    6 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
    Salt and pepper to taste
    1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    1/4 cup dry bread crumbs (any flavor)
    Paprika

1. Heat oven to 325ºF. Grease rectangular baking dish, 13x9x2 inches.
    2. Cut potatoes crosswise into 1/8-inch slices, cutting only three-fourths of the way through to bottom. Place cut sides up in dish. Brush with butter. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
    3. Bake uncovered 1 hour, brushing with butter once or twice. Mix cheese and bread crumbs; sprinkle over potatoes. Sprinkle with paprika. Bake 20 to 30 minutes longer or until tender.

Source: Betty Crocker

False