~~ ** Nesco - Ham Hints Needed, please keep bumped ** ~~ | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

~~ ** Nesco - Ham Hints Needed, please keep bumped ** ~~

Last post Nov 22, 2012 12:30 AM by tweedye1 . 16 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 12
  • ~~ ** Nesco - Ham Hints Needed, please keep bumped ** ~~

I found and purchased a 6 quart Nesco, perfect for my almost 9 pound picnic ham. Since I purchased it used, will you share some ideas how to cook the ham in the Nesco Roaster? Please??

Sending smiles your way,
    Vicki (dutchmom4)

False

• RE: ~~ ** Nesco - Ham Hints Needed, please keep bumped ** ~~
    I don't have one but I will bump for you. Chris
    False

Please, help??

False

I have one but the only manual I seem to have is the one for my Roast-air-oven - as I bought the lid that "browns" the meat, etc.

Ham, fresh, bone-in, butt - 4 to 6 lbs. - 350 degrees - 25 to 30 minutes per lb. - Internal temp. 165 degrees.

Pork shoulder - 2 1/2 to 3 lbs. - 375 degrees - 30 to 35 min. per lb. - 155 internal temp.

Hope this helps - it's all I have.

Tria
    False
    Tria
    I just use it like my oven, except it cooks a little faster. I did my Thanksgiving ham in it this year and put cloves, & pineapple rings on it and put it on the rack at 325 for about 3 hours. Then, I made a little glaze with brown sugar and pineapple juice and poured it over for another half an hour of cooking or so. Just use your favorite recipe/method of cooking, but I turn it down to 325 or check it sooner, as the roasters seem to cook faster.

Amy
    False

If yours is a "pre-cooked" picnic ham - it says 325 degrees - 10 to 15 min. per lb. and an interior temp. of 120 degrees. That sounds low but they say that is "warmed".

Tria
    False
    Tria
    oh, I was thinking regular ham....I don't know what the difference is between a regular ham and a picnic ham is, so maybe I was no help at all, dutchmom! Sorry!

Amy
    False

Oh! Why do they have to put the stickers on the ham, exactly where information is printed.

I have:
    KIND: smoked pork shoulder picnic ham
    WEIGHT: 8.84 pounds
    INSTRUCTIONS ON PKG: 325 to 350 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes per pound

False

The package also says, "Cook thoroughly." So, I'm assuming that the ham in UNcooked, even though it does not say it.

(Am I correct?)

False

I bet their site has a lot of that type of info.
    False
    Well, Vicki~All hams I purchase have a similar timing instruction on them and say to heat thoroughly, and I always thought hams had been cooked once or cured or been through some process unlike true raw meat. So, I would just use your favorite recipe and treat it like your oven, but just aware that most people find that the Nesco Roasters seem to cook a little faster for some reason. I hope this helps you~

Amy
    False

If hams are fully cooked, the package will show that information. You could slice and eat it without any heating, but I always cook mine for a short period of time. If the package does not say fully cooked, you will have to cook it 10 - 15 minutes per lb.
    False
    Photobucket

Thank you!! As a Nesco newby I want to make sure Christmas dinner turns out just right.

Vicki
    :)
    :)
    False

Hi,
    I would contact customer service @ their site. Tell them you need a recipe/direction book for the 6 quart roaster & they will send you one.
    I did this @ the advice of someone from here for the 4 quart one.
    Merry Christmas.
    Marie
    False
    bump
    False