OT: How Can I Clean Hammered Club Aluminum Cookware? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

OT: How Can I Clean Hammered Club Aluminum Cookware?

Last post Jan 20, 2007 10:39 PM by M_Wolverine . 12 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
  • OT: How Can I Clean Hammered Club Aluminum Cookware?
    I inherited my Mom's set of Hammered Club Aluminum Cookware which was the first cookware she owned and my Dad bought it for her in the late 1930's.
    I usually use my Cook's Essentials cookware, but for some things that would harm non-stick I really like using the Club. Such as making mashed potatoes with my old wire masher, or cooking/browning meats where I want it to stick to the bottom so I can scrape up all of the "fond" (a term I recently learned from Bob Bowersox for all the good brown stuff that sticks to the bottom of pans and makes such good gravies and broths).
    Anyway....some of the cookware has dulled with oxidation and some of it has black spots in the hammer indentations and I'd like to return it to as near as new as I can. I recently bought a small Club Dutch oven at a flea market and it was positively bright silver and SHINY!
    Any ideas of how I can clean my Mom's old set up like new?

John
    False

John

John

“Then He'll call me some day to my home far away, where His Glory forever I'll share.”
  • RE: OT: How Can I Clean Hammered Club Aluminum Cookware?
    I wonder if the Magic Eraser would do it. Might be worth a try.
    False
    You know... I never thought of that Miss Ellie and Diana swears by those things. I'll have to see if she has one on hand. Thanks so much!

John
    False

John

John

“Then He'll call me some day to my home far away, where His Glory forever I'll share.”
    I found this, and Im still looking.

2 tablespoons cream of tartar
    1 quart water

To clean aluminum cookware, combine ingredients in cookware. Bring solution to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes. Wash and dry as usual.

Tink~
    False
    Always treat people they way you want to be treated. ~Tink~
    Heres one more.

Tink!

Cleaning Aluminum Cookware
    Here are some great tips for cleaning aluminum, including how to avoid discoloration.

To protect aluminum cookware from discoloration, never wash it in a dishwasher or let it soak in soapy water for long periods of time.

To remove interior discoloration, fill the pan with water, add 1 tablespoon cream of tartar or 1 tablespoon lemon juice per quart of water, and simmer until the discoloration is gone. Complete the process by scouring the pan with a steel-wool soap pad. Caution: Wear rubber gloves.

Use a steel-wool soap pad to remove burned-on food on cast-aluminum cookware.

Liquid nonabrasive bathroom cleanser or a paste of baking soda and water used with a synthetic scouring pad will polish both cast and sheet aluminum.
    False
    Always treat people they way you want to be treated. ~Tink~
    Thanks Tink! I guess I should have expected great help from someone who's maiden name is the same as mine.

:-)

John
    False

John

John

If all the above doesn't work, what came to mind is OxyClean. I use it to clean a lot of "gunk" off kitchen items, including the Mr. Coffee plastic iced tea pitcher. Some items were sticky that I used Goo Gone, then soaked in dishwashing liquid plus a whole lot of OxyClean. In fact, the other day I was in Sur La Table and saw that they sell Goo Gone!

Brenda
    False
    Thanks Brenda!
    If all else fails.....

John
    False

John

John

My Aunt had a set of that cookware, she used it every day and I must say, she kept it looking like new! I have no idea how she did it and she is gone now, but I always thought it was remarkable how she kept that set so shiny. I sure wish she was still here so I could ask her for you.
    False
    I found this on a site talking about Guardian cookware. I think I would find something I wouldn't mind messing up in case it doesn't work!

Quoting:
    "Many folks just pop it into their self-cleaning oven for a few hours, let it cool, then shine it up with steel wool soap pads. If the metal tarnishes on the insides of the pots, a solution of either cream of tartar and water or vinegar and water will make things shine like new again!"

Kate

False
    Hi John,
    I have found that Cameo stainless steel cleaner has helped me with cleaning aluminum pc.
    Also on this bb several have recommended barkeepers friend or Bon-Ami.
    I hope you have great luck in restoring the cookware.
    I've never heard of hammered before.
    Hope you & your family are staying warm & safe from the storms.
    Marie
    False
    Let us know what you final do to clean up that pot.

Kate
    False
    Will Do!

False

John

John