How should I cook frozen fresh corn? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

How should I cook frozen fresh corn?

Last post Feb 08, 2007 6:27 PM by 3littlebirdsKYzn6 . 6 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
  • How should I cook frozen fresh corn?
    My friend gave me a few bags of corn that she had frozen, and I've never really cooked that kind before. I'm not sure what method or recipe she used to freeze it, so I don't know what she may have already added. It is cut off the cob, and one bag looks like it has more liquid than the other, I'm going to mix them I think. I have had this kind of corn before and I love it, I just don't know how I should cook it. Any suggestions?
    False
  • RE: How should I cook frozen fresh corn?
    I would cook it slowly over low heat. Season with salt and pepper to taste. You probably will need to add margarine or butter. Play it by ear. If you are cooking it slowly (don't let it scorch) you will be fine. I can't give you a timeframe because as you said you don't know how it was processed. Slow cooking will allow you to taste test and let it cook as long as it takes for the corn to cook. If the kernels seem milky inside keep cooking!! You may need to add small amounts of water as you cook. I wouldn't add over a 1/4 cup at at time. Sometimes people add a bit of sugar but I've never felt the need to do that. Good luck!!
    False
    I don't have any advice since it has been so long since I have had this treat but if she knew what she was doing this will be an awesome treat. When my mom used to freeze corn she just blanched it...a very short time in boiling water and then in very cold water before cutting it off the cob and freezing. So, I would think you could proceed similar to cooking any frozen corn. I always tend to go less time to start with and taste. So, put in pan and bring to boil for 3-4 minutes then test and go from there. Lucky you.
    False
    What I do........ is cook it on low. I don't add any liquid because there is usually some ice build up from it being frozen. When it's heated up to the temp. I want I drain what liquid there is off and put it back on low and add butter and salt and pepper. If my dad is coming over he always likes a little milk added to his. You will love it!!
    False
    I just sort of stir fry mine in a little bit of oil/butter and only adding water if it gets too dry. Salt and Pepper - all you really need. Love that stuff. My favorite is the white corn.
    some people add milk to make it creamed corn - but I like it simple and plain best.

Tria
    False
    Tria
    I always put it in a microwave-safe bowl, add the corn with just a few tablespoons of water, cover and microwave about 3 min. (the time will depend on the size of the bag--I freeze very small bags with just about 1 cup for the 2 of us). As soon as it starts to break apart, I add salt, pepper, a dash of sugar and butter. Cover and finish cooking. Taste test to see if it needs to cook longer or needs more seasoning or butter.
    Jenita
    False
    Thanks! I cooked it slow on the stove, with a little water to keep it from sticking, because I tend to walk off and forget things, lol. I get side tracked by the kids.
    I added a little salt, and some butter and didn't think it was quite sweet enough so I added a little sugar. Tastes good right now, but I think I'll add just a tad more butter. Yum! I have some pork steaks on the grill and we're also having peas.

Thanks again! I just didn't want to mess it up. I don't think my friend added anything, I know some people add sugar and butter before they put it up. I think that's what my grandma does. But this tastes really good.
    False