"Pork shoulder arm roast" - not sure what to do with it... | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

"Pork shoulder arm roast" - not sure what to do with it...

Last post Feb 17, 2007 7:50 PM by GolfingranFL . 6 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
  • "Pork shoulder arm roast" - not sure what to do with it...
    We just recently received a freezer full of pork, and there are several "pork shoulder arm roasts". I'm not really sure what to do with these - isn't it a really tough cut of meat? Does anyone know the best way to cook it, or have any good recipes using it? I couldn't find many recipes online at all using this cut of meat.

Since they are so solidly frozen, I can't even tell if they are boneless or not! The meat is from a pig we had butchered and the labeling is very vague. So there aren't even suggestions on the packaging. Help!
    False
  • RE:
    False
  • RE:
    I recently got a magazine from Cook's Illustrated with a guide for buying pork. They indicated that the shoulder arm (also called picnic shoulder or picnic roast) is a very flavorful cut. It contains a fair amount of fat and rind, but the meat is very flavorful and becomes 'meltingly tender' with cooking. They suggest the best ways to cook it are braising, roasting and barbecuing. Sorry I can't offer any more than that at this time.
    False
  • RE:
    Hi Last night I made one in the slow cooker. 6 pound roast 1-2 tablespoons sea salt 1 tablespoon liquid smoke Sprinkle with salt then liquid smoke.No other liquid needed. Cover and cook on low 16-20 hours. Turn meat halfway through cooking. When done, shred with 2 forks, mix 1 cup hickory bbq sauce with 1 cup heinz 57 sauce and one fouth cup honey. Serve on soft rolls. I thought 16 hours was long but it came out great.Put in on before bedtime flip it in the am cook rest of the day Enjoy Carol
    False
  • RE:
    Pork shoulder arm Roast from Pork recipe site

Preparation:

Trim away excess fat. Sprinkle desired seasonings on all surfaces of the roast, leaving it to marinate at room temperature for about 1 hour before roasting.
    Tie, if desired, to make a compact and even shape, and sear in a very hot (450°F) oven for 15 to 20 minutes, or in oil in a large, hot skillet.
    Reduce heat to low (275°F) and slow-roast for 2 to 3 hours, or until tender. Or braise, cooking covered in a small amount of flavorful liquid ie chicken broth , for 2 to 3 hours, or until tender. Or cook in a smoker till tender and most of the fat has melted away, 6 to 10 hours; cool, then shred the meat. Reheat with barbecue sauce to make pulled pork.
    Flavor Affinities: barbecue sauce, chile peppers, Chinese five-spice powder, ginger, lemons, oregano, rice wine, soy sauce.

from Quirk Books: www.quirkbooks.com
    False

Susan-Serving as a Taste Of Home Field Editor since 2009

• RE:

Pork Recipes

Pork Shoulder Arm Picnic

Pork shoulder arm picnic contains arm bone, shank bone, and a portion of blade bone. It also contains shoulder muscles interspersed with fat. The shank and part of the lower area are covered with skin. It is usually prepared by roasting.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pork Shoulder Arm Roast

Pork shoulder arm roast is cut from pork shoulder arm picnic. The shank is removed, leaving the round arm bone and the meaty part of the arm picnic. The outside is covered with a thin layer of fat. Pork shoulder arm roast is usually prepared by roasting.

False

Susan-Serving as a Taste Of Home Field Editor since 2009

• RE:
    This is the cut I use to make pulled pork. I just cook it in the crock pot one day, then cool it, and refrigerate it overnight so that all the fat solidifies. Next day I remove the fat, then heat it. It now can be "pulled" (shredded) with two forks. Add some of your favorite barbecue sauce and when all is heated together, serve. I like to put it over open hamburger rolls, but over rice works well too, even noodles. Golfingran
    False