Can sour cream be frozen? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Can sour cream be frozen?

Last post Feb 19, 2011 5:33 PM by Felonious Monk . 9 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
  • Can sour cream be frozen?
    Although my common sense tells me not to do it, I was wondering if anybody has experience with freezing sour cream.
    It's on sale this week, and with so many recipes I have been coming upon calling for it, I thought it would be nice to stock up, but, I know it won't defrost right, but not sure about how it would bake up.
    If anybody has a hint, let me know, please.
    Thanks,
    Blessings,
    KathyLu
    False
    "Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us." Marianne Williamson http://www.wherearethecows.webs.com/
  • RE: Can sour cream be frozen?
    Freezing can cause ice crystals to form. When you thaw the sour cream, the ice crystals melt taking moisture and flavor away.

Kathy
    False
    I've always been told sour cream is an item you should not freeze.
    False
    When you freeze sour cream it gets gross looking and clumpy and watery... but the flavor is pretty much the same. Not very nice to look at or use.

However it can be frozen when mixed with other things... Say in some 'make ahead cooking' meals; mixed in with the mashed potatoes or casseroles with cream soups, etc. I've had no problem when doing it that way.

False
    Thank you all, I never thought about mixing it into stuff first. Great idea.
    Thanks for the answers, I truly appreciate it.
    Blessings,
    KathyLu
    False
    "Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us." Marianne Williamson http://www.wherearethecows.webs.com/
    Sour cream generally has a long 'shelf' life in the frig if left unopened. Check the 'use by' date on the container. You may be able to stock up & just store the containers in your refrigerator until you want the sour cream. The bottom shelf toward the back is usually the coldest (& hardest to get to) so makes a good long term storage place.
    False
    And, store it upside down. Keeps much longer that way.

Kathy
    False
    I once froze some, because I thought I heard you could. When I went to use it, it said right there on the container- Do not freeze. So, I threw it out. However, I have made meals with sour cream in them and froze them. I don't know what the difference is.

False
  • Re: RE: Can sour cream be frozen?

I just read on another site where a lady froze it, thawed it in the fridge, then put it into the blender and it came out fine and didn't separate again after that. I think it's worth a try. I wanted to do it because there's only my husband and I which means most of the time  what's left of even a small container of sour cream gets thrown away since we can't possibly finish it.

False
  • Re: Can sour cream be frozen?

I haven't tried it YET but like some of the other posts here say "it comes out lumpy" and also looking kinda like cottage cheese BUT one person said to let it thaw in the fridge and that they put it in a blender to remix it, then back in the fridge overnight and it looked just like "new". I'll try it tonight and let y'all know tomorrow!

False
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Felonious M.