Is there a way to soften old honey? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Is there a way to soften old honey?

Last post Feb 26, 2007 9:06 PM by M_Wolverine . 7 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
  • Is there a way to soften old honey?
    I have a 10oz bottle of honey that is quite old. It's hard and a bit crystalized. I know that honey don't spoil, so I wondered if there was a way to get it in usuable condition again? Or, is it better to just toss it?

Thanks for any ideas!

Lisa
    False
  • RE: Is there a way to soften old honey?
    Microwave it until its soft. I do this all the time.
    False
    Witty Whitney!
    I microwave mine as well. It doesn't take long, so go on the side of caution and watch it closely.
    False
    If I'm not in a hurry, I set it in a pan of hot water. If I am in a hurry, I do like the other posters, take the lid off and put it in the microwave.

Jolene
    False

Jolene--  http://jolenesrecipejournal.blogspot.com/

"Find something you are passionate about and keep tremendously interested in it" -- Julia Child

You need to watch some containers in the microwave. Plastic will shrink up and get distorted from the heat. You might loose some ot the honey if that happens.
    False
    We are talking a few seconds in the microwave...not very long!
    False
    You are correct, honey is the only natural food that does not spoil. I would recommend taking your time, put it into a pan of hot water and heat slowly on simmer. I have even put a folded cloth in the bottom of the pan if the honey is in a plastic jar. Always have had good luck.
    False
    Yeah, I buy her bottles of skin lotion regularly.

:)

John
    False

John

John

“Then He'll call me some day to my home far away, where His Glory forever I'll share.”