How can I cook some small bluegill fillets (besides frying them)? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

How can I cook some small bluegill fillets (besides frying them)?

Last post Apr 02, 2007 3:04 PM by CookieCarol . 7 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
  • How can I cook some small bluegill fillets (besides frying them)?
    DGS caught several bluegills and I fried some on Saturday. I hate the smell of the grease, the mess, and the less than healthy way to eat them.
    Any ideas on cooking them? I was wondering about just baking them with some herbs? Has anybody tried that?
    I'm also thinking of just brushing the filets with oil and sauteing them in a shallow skillet (the fillets are small).
    Other suggestions??
    False
  • RE: How can I cook some small bluegill fillets (besides frying them)?
    I never fry our fish - if it were me I'd season them and stick them under the broiler in the oven for a couple minutes.

:) Mmmmm.
    False
    Hi Carol!

I bake fish instead of fry also. My favorite is to lay the fish in a lightly greased baking dish (nonstick spray) then sprinkle with some grated parmesan cheese & dill weed. Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes or until fish flakes. Or drizzle fillets with some olive oil and sprinkle with fresh ground black pepper, kosher salt & a bit of dried basil.

you can pretty much use any herbs you like.

dawn
    :-)
    False

"Wow, I really regret that workout"  said Nobody Ever

"...know that I will never love anyone like I love you & I am forever altered by who you are and what you mean to me..."

We love bluegills any way they are fixed...fried or baked. Another way we use them.....drop small fillets in boiling water for 90 seconds...remove and cool and flake into cocktail sauce and serve on crackers...Tastes exactly like shrimp cocktail. If you don't have a need for such an appetizer right now...freeze them in cold water. They will keep until you would like to try that. Enjoy them however you decide to serve.
    Diane
    False

Marriage is like a deck of cards.  In the beginning all you need is two hearts and a diamond.  By the end, you wish you had a club and a spade.

Thank you, such good ideas!!
    I will try the boiling/flaking/cocktail sauce thing when I am cooking for DH and me. That sounds great and we love shrimp cocktail. Today the kids want 'real manly' fish.....I'm pushing it getting away from frying. Now to decided if I will bake or broil....both ways sound tasty and the addition of parmesan cheese is tempting baked or broiled.
    Thank you so much for the ideas.
    False
    Perhaps you will enjoy this variation. I have used this method on other fish. Bluegill would be a delicate choice for this dish.

Panfish in Parchment.

Take a sheet of Parchment paper, you can buy at the grocery store.

Lay 6 or more Bluegill fillets on the paper (4 crappie Fillets) coat with olive oil or cooking spray.. your favorite seasonings...fresh ground black pepper, kosher salt, basil, thyme and what ever herbs you like, green onions, bell peppers, etc. Squeeze some lemon juice over the fish. Fold the paper towards the middle and add a shot of good white wine. Fold or tie the paper together on the top and place on a medium heat grill or oven. Don't use any tin foil....the paper will not burn as long as there is liquid inside. Poach the fish for 5 minutes or so.

http://www.nodakoutdoors.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=277274
    False
    Poached Panfish with Lemon Chive Sauce

2 cups water
    1 bay leaf
    1/4 tsp. salt
    2 tbs.lemon juice
    1 1/2 lbs. perch, bluegill, sunfish, or crappie: skin removed

SAUCE
    1/3 cup butter
    3 tbs. snipped fresh chives
    1/2 tsp. grated lemon peel
    1/4 tsp. salt
    1/8 tsp. pepper

In 10-inch skillet, combine water, bay leaf, 1/4 tsp. salt and the lemon juice. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Add fillets. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered, for 3 to 5 minutes, or until fish is firm and opaque and just begins to flake. Drain and discard poaching liquid. Cover fish to keep warm. Set aside.

In 8-inch skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add remaining sauce indgredients. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until mixture is hot, stirring constantly. Serve sauce over fish.

False

John

John

“Then He'll call me some day to my home far away, where His Glory forever I'll share.”
    I think I took all the recipes and rolled them into one. I baked the fish with red pepper rings and 4 green onions sliced, cracked pepper and sea salt, a pinch of thyme, a few squirts of lime (I like lime better than lemon) and some white wine. I covered it and baked for 8 minutes or so. It was very good! There were almost no leftovers but I flaked what was left and made a little cocktail sauce and mixed it up. We'll try that before dinner.
    Thanks for all the good ideas, now I'll have to wait till the boys come back next time to catch more fish.
    False