Ham Gravy ???? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Ham Gravy ????

Last post Dec 14, 2012 12:47 PM by mamadee1952 . 13 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
  • Ham Gravy ????
    I don't remember ever having gravy with ham, but I'm told there is such a thing...how do you make ham gravy? Just like regular gravy??? with flour and water? What exactly is red-eye gravy? I'm in charge of the ham for tomorrow. I'd like to make mashed potatoes and gravy as well...if I can figure out how to make this gravy. Thanks in advance.
    False
  • RE: Ham Gravy ????
    Ham gravy is wonderful! I just add some water to the beautiful browned bits in the bottom of the ham roasting pan and deglaze it, then add a slurry of cornstarch mixed with water and stir until thickened. You can use milk, too, if you prefer. I think red-eye gravy has some coffee in it with the ham drippings.
    False
    We make red eye gravy with country ham. While the country ham is frying, we pour about a cup of coffee in with it. When the ham is done, pour the gravy up. Serve with biscuits.

Marilyn
    False
    Red-Eye is made with coffee and 'ham gravy' is made with water and drippings and cornstarch/flour just like regular.

I grew up eating ham gravy and had no idea other people didn't until I was about 30. LOL. I've since found out almost no one makes it. My brothers insist on it for every holiday at my mothers home. (Don't add any salt! LOL).

False
    0well this is an eye opener to me also....i love ham and have had red eye gravy but have never had regular ham gravy....will surely give this a try....thanks for the heads up... :)
    False
    I grew up on having ham gravy on Easter Sunday dinners. My mother would fix her ham with pineapple rings and the juice and brown sugar. She would bake the ham and then remove it and scrape the ham bits from the bottom of the pan and add the water from the potatoes she boiled. Then she would thicken it with flour and water. Oh so good! It was sweet and salty. I tried to make it like she did but have never mastered it to taste like hers. My daughters always had seconds instead of dessert.
    False
    I baste my ham with a mixture of pineapple juice, brown sugar, honey, cloves and mustard. I also put pineapple slices on my ham. The baste mixture makes such a good ham gravy. Both sweet and salty and clovy :o)
    False
  • Re: Ham Gravy ????

Oh yes, my children have all loved ham gravy and have even fought over the last bits of it the next day. They look forward to that part of our holiday meals above all else. It's really simple. I actually cook my ham in a baking bag along with brown sugar (more than you would think) , 12 oz cola, pinch of cinnamon, pinch of ground cloves, 8-12 oz pineapple juice. After baking, just remove ham, add a bit (1/4 cup) water to drippings and loosen up. Put pan on stove, add about 1-2 cups water, and thicken mixture with cornstarch.. WONDERFUL!!! I'm not great at writing the recipe, but hope you get the idea.

False

I never heard of ham gravy, other than Red Eye, which is my favorite meal. I make it with coffee, my MIL just used hot water in hers. I favor the coffee and really don't think I would like it made any other way.

False

hawmama,

That's pretty much how I make my ham and gravy, too!  ;o)   Excellent!!!  I never have any gravy left over..

False

My mom and I always make ham gravy the same way..add  a bit of water to roasting pan and scrape brown bits up..make a slurry of milk and flour ; stir and simmer until thick and bubbly.  I  always add pepper to taste.

False

I love ham gravy on slices of ham or mashed potatoes or anything really. Until now, I've never known anyone else who makes it.

False

Great Post.  My mother made the gravey as well.  She called it Milk Gravy.

Amazing how many different names basically is the same recipe.

I bet some bacon drippings  would be wonderful as well.

Janie

Great recipes.

I think I have seen Ham Boullion cubes.  Knorrs?

False

Taste of Home member since 2004. Taste of Home field Editor since 2009*

Enjoying  every Minute.

We call it milk gravy as well and can be made from any kind of pork fat drippings..sausage, ham or chops...best thing for mashed potatoes and biscuits that I have ever eaten.  I haven't seen ham cubes but have seen ham base in jars that works as well.

False