How Long /What Temp do I cook my Turkey? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

How Long /What Temp do I cook my Turkey?

Last post Apr 16, 2007 12:05 PM by Bosox_MA . 4 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
  • How Long /What Temp do I cook my Turkey?
    Hi, need a little help if you will.

I have a turkey thawed that needs to be cooked today. It's been a loooong time since I've cooked one. How long and at what temp do I cook the turkey? It's a 10 lb. turkey.

Thanks!! Susan
    False
  • RE: How Long /What Temp do I cook my Turkey?
    Hope this helps.

Remove from oven when meat thermometer reads 170 degrees F in the thigh, or when turkey drumsticks move easily in their sockets and juices from the thigh run clear. (If turkey is stuffed, make sure stuffing reaches 165 degrees F.)
    Let stand 20 minutes before carving.

Timetable for Roasting Unstuffed Turkey at 325 Degrees F

Uncooked Weight Roasting Time*

8 to 12 pounds 2 3/4 to 3 hours
    12 to 14 pounds 3 to 3 3/4 hours
    14 to 18 pounds 3 3/4 to 4 1/4 hours
    18 to 20 pounds 4 1/4 to 4 1/2 hours
    20 to 24 pounds 4 1/2 to 5 hours

* Add 15 to 30 minutes to these times when roasting a stuffed turkey.
    False
    Thanks Icdream! I'm going to put it in the oven now.
    False
    There seem to be as many methods as cooks. Here's one posted on the BB a couple years ago.

Turkey Tricks~~~
    creid 11/27/2005

Place the turkey in a preheated 500-degree oven for a half hour. Set your timer! The reason for the intense beginning heat is that this will allow the fat under the skin on the bottom of turkey (remember- you've got her sitting on a rack in the roasting pan) to melt and help brown the skin on the bottom. No more mush bottomed turkeys! Also, the turkey will begin to turn bronzy brown, which you want. After the initial 500-degree zapping, turn your oven down to a respectable 325 degrees. Do you feel better now?

Right about now, you're probably wondering where the basting instructions are. Personally, I don't baste. Why? Because basting actually dries out the bird! Every time you open the oven door, you lose 25 degrees of heat. What does this do? Because you to lose heat, you to have to cook the turkey longer. Longer cooking time means a drier turkey, period. (Yeah, yeah, I know you have been basting birds for a hundred years in your family and everyone swears by basting). I too was in the basting camp till one year I was overwhelmed with all I had to do (in typical SHE fashion, I was doing everything last minute) and we had the best, juiciest turkey ever. So my advice is don't baste.

She also says that putting the stuffing inside the bird draws a lot of the moisture out of the turkey...so she has begun making Dressing instead, to have a moister bird! Makes sense to me!
    False
    I usually do my turkey at 350. Most of the time I cook a big one 20+ and it is always done before I think it will be.

I just pump the leg and put a spoon under the leg. When the juices run clear, it's done.

Barb
    False