Easy made from scratch breadsticks. Really easy! | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Easy made from scratch breadsticks. Really easy!

Last post Apr 16, 2007 9:50 PM by mehall . 11 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
  • Easy made from scratch breadsticks. Really easy!
    I made a pan full of these for dinner last night and not one was left. One thing, it was downright impossible to get the dough off the wax paper in one piece after rolling it out. What I'll do next time is roll and cut the dough into slices and then put the slices in the hot butter. Much safer that way too. Check out the recipe here: pictures too!

http://www.tammysrecipes.com/quick_easy_bread_sticks
    False
  • RE: Easy made from scratch breadsticks. Really easy!
    This sounds like something that would go over big here. Thanks for posting.
    Who doesn't like breadsticks or french toast?
    False
    Homestyle,
    I make some breadsticks that are pretty sticky before they're baked. I actually cut them, put them in the pan and then brush the melted butter over the tops after they're in the pan. I had tried to cut them and then dip in butter before putting them in the pan and always made a big mess.

:)Meg
    False
    Quick and Easy Breadsticks

1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter or margarine
    1 tablespoon oil
    3 cups flour (I use part whole wheat, part unbleached)
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 tablespoon baking powder
    3/4-1 cup milk

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place butter and oil in 9x13 pan and put in oven so butter melts as the oven heats up. Be careful not to let it burn!

2. Stir dry ingredients together, and gradually add milk, stirring until dough forms and leaves sides of bowl. I don't bother to actually measure out the milk - just add it gradually until there's enough.

3. Knead 5-6 times in bowl; place on floured countertop and roll out into 9x13-inch rectangle.4. Lay dough in pre-heated 9x13-inch pan, atop the melted butter/oil. Cut into 1/2" strips. Bake at 425 degrees for 20 minutes.

Garlic Breadsticks
    1 + 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    1 tablespoon parsley flakes
    1/2 teaspoon salt

Add 1 teaspoon of the garlic powder and 1 tablespoon parsley flakes to the dough. Then, sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt in the melted butter before placing dough in the pan. Breadsticks may be sprinkled with parmesan cheese before baking.

Cinnamon Breadsticks
    1/4 cup sugar
    1 teaspoon cinnamon

Mix sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle on top of breadsticks before baking. Tastes like cinnamon rolls!
    False
    This recipe calls for the butter/margarine to be melted in the baking pan before adding the dough. It was difficult to get the dough into the hot butter but by slicing first it will make it a lot easier. These are very good. Soft on the inside and crispy on the outside.
    False
    The reicipe Alabama posted sounds good too but it is not the one I used.
    False
    Sounds good, Homestyle. I love breadsticks. My breadstick recipe called for cutting the breadsticks and somehow dipping them in butter. That was frustrating! LOL Then I tried brushing melted butter over the dough before cutting them (and melting butter in the pan to get the bottoms of the breadsticks buttery). I never could get them to cut cleanly and I would up with a mess that way, too. I finally decided to melt butter in the pan, put the cut breadsticks in the pan, and then brush the tops with melted butter. Mine turn out crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside, too. I'll have to check out your recipe. Thanks for sharing it!
    False
    Interesting. I may have to give this a try. The garlic version sounds like it would be good.
    Thank you for sharing.
    Beth
    False

HomestyleAR, I copied and pasted the recipe above from the website you listed.

That one was the only one there. Which recipe did you use?

False
    Opps I did post the wrong link! Here is the right one. I was thinking of something else when I posted the other one.

http://hillbillyhousewife.com/butterdips.htm

False
    http://hillbillyhousewife.com/butterdips.htm

Buttery Bread Sticks

1/2 cup margarine (1 stick)
    2 cups flour
    2 tablespoons sugar
    1 tablespoon baking powder
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup milk (approximately)

Place the margarine in a 9 by 13-inch rectangular pan. Put this into the oven at 425°. Leave the pan in the oven until the margarine melts. Meanwhile take out your favorite mixing bowl. In it combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Using a fork to stir, gradually mix in the milk. You may need a little more. Stir up the dough until it is cohesive, and forms a soft ball. Coat the ball with flour if it seems sticky. Rip off a sheet of waxed paper and pat or roll the dough out on top of the waxed paper. You should make a roughly rectangular shape which will fit into the hot pan.

Remove the hot pan from the oven when the margarine is melted. Gently place the large sheet of dough into the pan, overtop of the hot margaine. Be very careful not to burn yourself. Next use a pizza cutter or a sharp knife to cut the dough into thin strips. I cut it once down the middle too, but you don't have to do it that way. The margarine will ooze up between the sticks. This is supposed to happen. If desired, you may sprinkle the bread sticks with parmesean cheese at this time. I seldom do, although it does taste good. Now bake the bread sticks at 425° for about 15 to 20 minutes. They will bake up golden brown, crunchy on the outside and soft in the center. Good with spaghetti. You can sprinkle 1/2-teaspoon of dry garlic powder into the melted margarine before adding the dough to the pan if you like. This makes garlic bread sticks. The best part about this recipe is how quickly it cooks, not to mention the spectacular impact it makes at the table.

Cinnamon Dips: Combine 1/4-cup of sugar, and 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Sprinkle this liberally about the bread sticks right before baking.
    False
    thanks
    False