Can you ripen strawberries? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Can you ripen strawberries?

Last post May 27, 2013 5:20 AM by Riverside65 . 6 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
  • Can you ripen strawberries?
    The strawberies that I bought do not seem to be ripe, can you ripen them in some way? Thanks
    False
  • RE: Can you ripen strawberries?
    False
    Nope. You need to find red ones because once picked they will not ripen more. They just get moldy. Next time you buy look for the darkest red ones that you can find.

Marlene
    False
    If I get strawberries that are not ripe enough. I slice them and put a sprinkling of sugar ont them. Let them sit until sugar dissolves, they will be sweet and yummy and perfect for a topping or in a fruit salad.
    False
    If they pick fully ripe strawberries, they will go mushy and rot within 24 hours, so that is why the strawberries at the store are never as tastey as home grown ones. Perhaps you can get some from a farmers market or fruit truck when it is that time of year.
    False
    Boy we have gotten some great strawberries at Aldi's this week and they are on sale for only 69 cents a carton and the pkg isn't small.
    If you have an Aldi's near you get there before the week is over and pick some up . These are very tasty.
    False
  • Re: Can you ripen strawberries?

Yes you can. I do not know if this works all the time but for the past few weeks I have been buying strawberries at Aldie's for $1 and there are always  2 to 4  that are not ripe. Take the ones that are unripe and place them on a piece of aluminum foil on top of your kitchen counter. In 6 to 8 hours rotate the strawberries so the other side is exposed. You will noticed that the side that was down will be red. Let the other side down for the same time and you should have an all red strawberry. Cool them down in the fridge are whatever you were planing to do with them. Good luck, I hope this is not just a fluke and works with all strawberries.

False