HELP,HELP,making cookies,no vanilla! | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

HELP,HELP,making cookies,no vanilla!

Last post May 20, 2007 12:26 PM by Munchmouse . 9 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
  • HELP,HELP,making cookies,no vanilla!
    Hi, I am a complete 100% idiot. I buy all these expensive ingredients for cookies(Nieman Marcus cookies with the ground up oatmeal), tons of nuts & chocolate & I realize I only have almond extract, not vanilla extract. Can I exclude the vanilla(it calls for 2 tspns) or will it ruin the cookie flavor? Please need advice asap. The butter is sitting open ready to beat. Yikes. Thanks again, Chanty
    False
  • RE: HELP,HELP,making cookies,no vanilla!
    My mom quite frequently made cookies with almond extract. It will be good just a different flavor.
    False
    But will the almond extract taste "weird" with chocolate chips & walnuts? I know I've made tons of cookies that are basically butter cookies with almond extract, but never chocolate chip-walnut cookies with almond extract. I guess, would it take away completely from the cookie flavor to not have any vanilla extract? Thanks, Chanty
    False
    unless you want your chocolate chip cookies to taste like almonds, i would leave it out or substitute butter flavoring or even butter pecan. strong black coffee is another option. it will enhance the chocolate chip flavor and the brown sugar without adding a coffee flavor to it.
    False

My favorite chocolate chip recipe calls for 1 tsp almond extract and 1 tsp vanilla extract, Chanty. I think using the almond will be fine. It actually tastes more like cherry to me than almond.
    False
    Stimpy Click for Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin Forecast
    Chanty, do you have Grand Marnier? I use it and almond extract. I use it when I make choc chip cookies all the time.

Munchmouse
    False

As we grow up, we realize it is Less important to have lots of friends and More important to have real friends.   I Never regret my choices because i'm more intuitive than you realize

This is a bit late, but you could use rum instead of the vanilla.
    False
    Don't you have a neighbor near by that you could borrow from? I live in the country and neighbor's are often 'lifesavers' when cooking. Too far to town.
    Your cookies sound great no matter what the flavor,
    False
    Hi all, thanks for your helpful info. Unfortunately I didn't have any of the liquors or extracts mentioned & made these yesterday already without any vanilla or any extract. Actually, they were pretty good. I think because of the 2 bags of choc chips(dark & semi sweet) & 1 5oz. milk choc. & 1 almost 4 oz dark choc bars grated & 3 1/2 cups walnuts, 2 cups butter--all added to a variety of flavors that the extract wasn't even missed maybe?? You grind to a powder 5 cups of oatmeal--so the result is a subtle yummy taste of oatmeal, which I love that has a chewy texture! Thanks again. (But I am gonna buy a good quality vanilla next time I am out & about)....:) Chanty
    False
    Chanty, glad your cookies turned out good, if you start with good ingredients, you'll get a good product! Munchmouse
    False

As we grow up, we realize it is Less important to have lots of friends and More important to have real friends.   I Never regret my choices because i'm more intuitive than you realize