what type of potatoes are best for potato salad | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

what type of potatoes are best for potato salad

Last post Apr 08, 2014 11:17 PM by 0at123 . 19 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 12
  • what type of potatoes are best for potato salad
    Ive never made potato salad and would love to this summer. Im also nervous about the potatoes becomming to mushy so if you have any pointers please let me know.
    False
  • RE: what type of potatoes are best for potato salad
    When I make potato salad, I only use the little red potatoes as they seem to hold up the best.
    False
    ms__gehrke is right -- red potatoes or any other 'waxy' potatoe is the best to use for potatoe salad. Do NOT use russet or baking potatoes, as they will not 'hold together'.
    False
    I planted a whole row of red potatoes just so I could have fresh potato salad all summer long!! I love it
    False
    I agree, red potatoes.
    False
    I use Yukon Golds because I think they have such great flavor. And, I bak my potatoes rather than boiling them; no more watery potato salad!
    False
    Best for baking: russet potato

Best for potato salads, gratins, and scalloped potatoes: Yellow Finn potato, new potato, red-skinned potato, white round potato, and purple potato

Best for mashing: russet potato, Yukon gold potato, Caribe potato, and purple potato

Best for soups and chowders: Yukon gold potato, Yellow Finn potato, red-skinned potato, white round potato, and purple potato

Best for pan-frying: red-skinned potatoes, white round potatoes, new potatoes, and fingerling potatoes

Best for French fries: russet potato, purple potato, Bintje potato

Best for purees: fingerling potatoes

Best for roasting: new potatoes, Bintje potatoes

Best for steaming: new potatoes, Yukon gold potatoes

Best for potato pancakes: russet potato, Yukon Gold potato

False
    Redraspberry girl, thank you for the info. that's wonderful, I've baked my potatoes like dachshundmom,and like the texture, but, during the summer, I will use your list. thanks again. Munchmouse
    False

As we grow up, we realize it is Less important to have lots of friends and More important to have real friends.   I Never regret my choices because i'm more intuitive than you realize

And I'm the oddball. :) I prefer the russets for making potato salad but you do have to be careful not to overcook them. I like the fact that a bit of the potato will mush with the boiled eggs and mayo to creat a bit of a thickening around the potatoes.
    Dawn
    False
    Red potatoes give potato salad a wonderful taste..so different...
    False

I agree with you just alittle of the potatoe mixes with the egg and mayo making it a nice texture.  I also do not add any onion until just before serving.... it keeps the onion from absorbing into the salad.  I like to taste the onion when I bite into it and it not be a part of the origional flavor.  I  make up my mayo mixture the evening before I intend to serve it so the seasonings blend well.  : )

False
  • Re: what type of potatoes are best for potato salad

I just made some really good potato salad and I used yellow potatoes.   What I found to help the potatoes to not get mushy is to not over cook but also instead of mixing the ingredients I folded them in.  Works great.  I hope this helps.

False
    We prefer red potatoes baked for potato salad. Also I use a 1 to 1 ratio on potatoes and eggs. Dressing is also equal parts real mayo and sour cream, dry mustard to taste ( we go lite on mustard) and equal parts vinegar and sugar to taste...s& p to taste and sweet onion. No other ingredients. Better made the day before.
    False

I have used all three of the potatoes listed,  Red, Yukon and  Russet.

They all work well, but I find that the russet hold up best. And it adds so much more of a potato taste. 

Draw back is that day 2 it seems  drier.

I agree baking the potato verses  boiling  is wonderful.

Water just seems to cook out some of the potato taste. Plus they have a tendency to fall apart if over cooked or if they are old potatoes.

Janie

False

Taste of Home member since 2004. Taste of Home field Editor since 2009*

Enjoying  every Minute.

ms__gehrke
    When I make potato salad, I only use the little red potatoes as they seem to hold up the best.

False