Finally, I figured out how to keep cole slaw from getting watery! | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Finally, I figured out how to keep cole slaw from getting watery!

Last post May 03, 2009 2:12 PM by SoCalScottishGal . 12 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
  • Finally, I figured out how to keep cole slaw from getting watery!
    I may be the last person on earth to figure this out, but thought I'd share in case someone else has this problem too. I love my cole slaw recipe - it is one that my grandmother and mother always made. I've been making since I got married in 1976. I have tried other recipes and they also got watery after a few hours, so I kept with my recipe and just dealt with it. Well tonight I tried something new and it worked! I grated the cabbage and sprinkled it with salt. I let it sit for 1 hour and then put it in my salad spinner and gave it a twirl. Man, oh man, did the water come out! Cabbage has a high water content so the salt pulled out the water and now it won't water down the slaw! Here is my recipe in case anyone wants it.

1 head of cabbage grated (or 1 bag pre-shredded cole slaw mix)
    1 stalk celery, chopped fine
    1/4 of a green pepper, chopped fine
    2 carrots, grated
    1/4 of an onion, chopped fine
    Mix all vegetables together and sprinkle with salt (I don't know how much I used - just what I thought I'd need to season that amount of veggies) and set aside for at least an hour, then put into a salad spinner and spin until all water is out. ( I did it 3 times- I got water out the first 2 times, 3rd time was dry)
    Just before serving add the dressing (this is the best part - I could eat it with a spoon).
    Dressing
    8 oz. sour cream
    3 Tablespoons cider vinegar
    3 Tablespoons sugar
    1 pinch of baking soda

Mix dressing ingredients together and pour over cabbage mixture. Stir well.

Lynne's note - I also use this same dressing over sliced cucumbers to make creamy cucs in the summer. It is so cool and creamy and refreshing!
    False
  • RE: Finally, I figured out how to keep cole slaw from getting watery!
    I have found that if I prep the coleslaw early in the day and make it on the dry side I too don't have the watery problem, I make the dressing and pour it over, NOT mixing till just before serving...I also add 1 small can drained pineapple chunks to my slaw....oh man is that good!!
    False

It's not how you start, it's how you end....so end strong!!

Walk yourself strong!!

Shelley's coleslaw is the best!!!
    False
     Click for Sun City, Arizona Forecast
    You're not the last person. It's so simple. I wonder why I never thought about it before. It's a great hint. Thanks for sharing it.

Jan
    False
    Avidcook, thanks for the recipe and also for the cucumber recipe, will try both of them,,,now if you could just help me get rid of macaroni or potato salad that gets watery overnight. Thanks again. Judy
    False

IN GOD WE TRUST

Glad to know that I wasn't the only one that hadn't figured this out already. lol
    False
    Avidcook,
    That's the way my Grandmother taught me to make coleslaw and peppercabbage(not sure if that is a PA dutch dish or not). She always said to put the grated cabbage in a colander, sprinkle salt over it, let it sit for an hour or so, then squeeze the water out with your hands. Been making it that way ever since she taught me!:o)
    False
    Thanks for the tip and recipe.

Alliea
    False

Susan-Serving as a Taste Of Home Field Editor since 2009

Lynn what a wonderful tip - I did not even realise it thank you for the coleslaw recipe

Shelley I like the idea of adding pineapple to the coleslaw
    False
    False

• Re: RE: Finally, I figured out how to keep cole slaw from getting watery!

Since I am making this today, I thought I'd bump up this recipe and tip for others.

False
  • Re: RE: Finally, I figured out how to keep cole slaw from getting watery!
    Thanks for posting this, avidcook! I had not thought of that before, either...so you're not the last one!
    False
  • Re: Finally, I figured out how to keep cole slaw from getting watery!

Thank you so much Lynne for the tip. I will try that for sure. I am a salad lover extraordinaire LOL I don’t think I ever met one I didn’t like. Copied this since I am always looking to improve cole slaw dressing. Been using Paula Deens for awhile and love it but this sounds very good.

Thanks again.

~Jan~

False

SCSG Jan blue eyed mouse siggy

~~The most important things in life aren't things!~~