Why do potatoes turn black? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Why do potatoes turn black?

Last post Oct 15, 2014 7:50 PM by wandagarland . 8 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
  • Why do potatoes turn black?
    I have this happen quite often after I boil the potatoes. I had heard that if one stored them in the refrig this would happen but it happens to me even if I get a new bag from the store. It does not seem to change the taste but the appearance is not good. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you
    False
  • RE: Why do potatoes turn black?
    How can I store peeled potatoes without them turning dark?
    Once you have peeled each potato add it to a chilled water solution that has either concentrated lemon juice or white vinegar. It only takes a tablespoon of the acidic lemon juice or vinegar per half gallon of water and this helps slow down the oxidation. Also, fill up the container so there is not much air left and seal it before placing back in the refrigerator.

Why are my potatoes turning black?
    If the potatoes were stored too cold (below 40 degrees F) then they can turn black. Could also have black bruising from being handled (dropped) when cold.
    From Idaho potato site
    False

Susan-Serving as a Taste Of Home Field Editor since 2009

Prevent potatoes from turning black

We have all at one time or another boiled potatoes and have had them turn black. The potatoes are not bad but just high in iron. To prevent this from happening add 1/4 tsp of Cream of Tartar to the boiling potatoes or add directly to cooked potatoes before creaming or mashing. Don't be worried about Cream of Tartar adding an odd taste to the potatoes because Cream of Tartar has no taste. So be sure to add this secret little ingredient each and every time so you don't have to worry about your potatoes turning black.

From the spice barn site.

Alliea
    False

bump for chefwanttobe:
    I'm going to use the cream of tartar idea too, sounds like an easy way to solve the problem.

Alliea
    False

Thank you for the cream of tartar idea. I thought I had tried that in the past but will try again. Thank you to everyone that sent in replies
    False
    Also if you use "Iodized" salt on them when they're raw, like in your cooking water to bring to boil, that might change the color to black also.

The Iodine reacts with the starch in the potatoes. If you used Iodized salt, add your salt at the end...
    False
    "I try to avoid serving inedible substances to my guests." VinnyD
    Potatoes will turn black when cut if exposed to air whether you put them in the refrigerator or not.

...what happens is the oxygen reacts with the chemicals already present in the potato .. this is oxidation. keep those potatoes covered with water or a damp cloth. That may help some. chef Henry'
    http://www.askachef.com/chefall.cfm?chef=Bousquet and st=11

.... the oxygen which makes potatoes turn black. ...
    www.cjnews.com/pastissues/00/ dec21-00/food/asknorene.htm

...potatoes turn black after peeling This is a natural reaction to metals. The dry varieties such as Netted Gems or Russet Burbank are more susceptible to this problem, while varieties like Chieftan are resistant. To stop this blackening, try adding a spoonful of vinegar to the cooking water.

A little potato trivia.

Alliea
    False

I was told that they turn black because fertilizer was used when growing them. It never happens to the ones I get from my garden or from my MIL farm...
    False
  • Re: Why do potatoes turn black?

chefwanttobe
    I have this happen quite often after I boil the potatoes. I had heard that if one stored them in the refrig this would happen but it happens to me even if I get a new bag from the store. It does not seem to change the taste but the appearance is not good. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

False