Diced Tomato substitute | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Diced Tomato substitute

Last post Jun 10, 2007 1:45 PM by dutchmom4MI . 8 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
  • Diced Tomato substitute
    Due to seeds, I can't used canned diced, crushed or whole tomatoes. Should I try to substitute with puree, or sauce? I will miss the chunks, but if necessary, I can add a few fresh chunks. I am attempting to get out of all the work involved. I am just not sure which would have about the same liquid content, so as to not alter the recipe too much.
    I made the sausage, tomato, cream pasta yesterday. Delicious, but there must have been a few seeds in the diced tomatoes. Now I am trying to find the closest way to duplicate the flavors. TIA
    cookie
    False
  • RE: Diced Tomato substitute

You could just cut a fresh tomato in half, spoon the seeds out and dicard them, then chop the tomato. It is very easy and quick to do. A grapefruit spoon works great. Rinse it under cold water if necessary.

False
    Thanks. I live in NW PA and have only about 2 months of fresh tomatoes. Greenhouse just don't taste the same. I do intend to can some this year. Would you recommend plum tomatoes, or something else?
    False

I don't can them, but I have read that plum tomatoes are great for canning.

We are lucky down here to have fresh tomatoes available for so long!

False
    I am so jealous! BIL lives in the south and has 2 entire growing seasons. We are just now starting to plow. (Not me, the gardeners in our area...I eat, not grow) Not unheard of to have an August frost.
    False
    If you cut the tomato in half and squeeze it in your hand the seeds and pulp should all come out leaving just the tomato flesh behind. To get the last few remaining little guys that may be hiding you could then do a quick rinse under water - dice and use.

False
    You could remove the seeds from fresh tomatoes as others have suggested and then chop them and freeze them in 1 cup or two cup portions. They will have the texture of canned.
    chefly
    False
    Thank you. Freezing sounds like a plan. I hate the idea of buying, sterilizing jars. I may try a little of each to find out my preferences, then do quantity stuff.
    Now, to try seedless salsa :)
    False
    Great Ideas
    False