DO YOU STRAIN THE TOMATO SEEDS OUT OF YOUR HOMEMADE SPAGHETTI SAUCE? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

DO YOU STRAIN THE TOMATO SEEDS OUT OF YOUR HOMEMADE SPAGHETTI SAUCE?

Last post Jun 12, 2007 11:39 PM by AlabamaNeeNee . 4 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
  • DO YOU STRAIN THE TOMATO SEEDS OUT OF YOUR HOMEMADE SPAGHETTI SAUCE?
    I have a friend whose daughter is so fussy she has to strain her sauce to remove any seeds or lumps of tomato. I sometimes use a food mill if using fresh tomatoes and that removes most of the seeds but I don't generally remove all of the seeds. We have an Italian restaurant here that is on the list of highly recommended places to eat in Canada and the cook has no seeds in his sauces. The restaurant is always full. When I was in Italy none of the spaghetti sauce I ate had any sees. So I am curious if any of you remove the seeds.

Marlene
    False
  • RE: DO YOU STRAIN THE TOMATO SEEDS OUT OF YOUR HOMEMADE SPAGHETTI SAUCE?
    I just use my canned tomatoes, seed and lumps of tomatoes.

Marilyn
    False
    Nope - I don't mind the seeds and I really like the chunks of tomatoes and onion, garlic, etc.
    False
    Stimpy Click for Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin Forecast
    If you don't want seeds use Foodguy's Spaghetti Sauce. It's wonderful. Carol

Subject: Sharing one of my favorite recipes: Restaurant Style Spaghetti Sauce
    Posted by: foodguy Replies: 33 Posted on: 5/22/2007 2:05:43 PM
    #T829389
    I just love this easy recipe! Its the best sauce I've ever had and we get tons of compliments on it.
    A Chef, whose family owns a successful Italian Restaurant/Party House shared it with me. It is a scaled down version of the one that they use to make gallons and gallons of the stuff each week.
    Now you purists, please don't laugh until you've tried it-it seems too easy to be true-measure everything into a pot and cook. We increase the batches and freeze it in 3 1/2 cup containers (about the same as a jar of sauce).

Restaurant Style Spaaghetti Sauce

1 teaspoon onion powder
    1 teaspoon garlic powder
    1 Tablespoon olive oil
    1 Tablespoon butter
    1-6 oz. can tomato paste
    1-28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
    1/2 of the 28 oz. can water
    1 Tablespoon brown sugar
    1 teaspoon chicken or beef base
    1 teaspoon salt
    Black pepper to taste
    2 teaspoons dried basil
    ¼ cup Parmesan cheese

Combine all ingredients, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer about 1 hour until thickened.
    Serve over hot cooked pasta.

False

Carol

Marlene, I read somewhere that many varieties of tomatoes are seedless or almost seedless. Maybe that is what they use?

I used to never put fresh or canned tomatotes in my chili or spaghetti sauce. But when I married DH, he loved chunks in both, so I started doing it and now I love it that way. But I use seeds and all.

False